Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 8th February 2011, 17:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo

So as usual some Volkswagen Polo comes to the store for an audio upgrade, unlike most times this car had a Kenwood system installed at the dealership with some basic nippon speakers.

As every other Volkswagen owner, he is very worried about wiring warranty going void etc etc

I assured him that we don't do any wire cutting whatsoever for the audio install. However, I wanted to see how they had connected the OEM antenna to the aftermarket Kenwood U346 Player,
The reason behind my curiosity was that none of the Volkswagen dealerships here had the antenna pin/harness in stock for quite some time. I had this hunch that the pin was not fitted, so how did they manage the install is the question ?
Outcome : No antenna pin.

After opening the door pads then the horror story unfolds, all wires have been spliced , no harnesses anywhere,
Worst part all wrong sized speaker rings used and that too speakers are dangling somewhere on one screw.

The car owner was suffering from speaker rattling noises for months.

As obvious the owner gets furious and starts taking snaps to go take it up with Downtown Volkswagen later.

In Our country most dealerships want some excuse to run away from warranty , but execute their own work with utter hypocrisy and disregard for the consumer.

Snaps of the install attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo-20110208-12.52.502-1600x1200.jpg  

Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo-20110208-12.53.24-1600x1200.jpg  

Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo-20110208-12.53.43-1600x1200.jpg  

Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo-20110208-12.53.52-1600x1200.jpg  

Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo-20110208-12.54.01-1600x1200.jpg  

Last edited by blueraven316 : 8th February 2011 at 17:32.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 18:50   #2
BHPian

Default re: Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo

Pathetic, is what comes to my mind.For a customer that he has bought a car from VW will expect to have the best quality.This amounts to cheating IMHO.Shame on you VW.
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 19:33   #3
BHPian

Its really foolish on the part of VW not to provide the connector of antenna to HUs, either they should not have given the antenna at first place or given a proper one like Maruti and Hyundai. One need to pay around 350 bucks just for that silly connector.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 19:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Pathetic, is what comes to my mind.For a customer that he has bought a car from VW will expect to have the best quality.This amounts to cheating IMHO.Shame on you VW.
Let's not jump the gun and blame VW, IMO, it's the dealer to blame, unless VW is aware of this method of installation. The accessories, if I'm correct, were installed by the dealer.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 19:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy re: Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo

@blueraven,

Now that you have discovered a shameful act on the part of the VW, is this just an one off case or you have seen this in more than one Polo. Also is there something common between such Polo's like same dealer. If thats the case then its the dealer who is making some mischief and this needs to be reported to VW on priority.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 00:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, I always get Polos which are either the highline or the basic with no music setup, usually people dont fall for the ridiculous pricing offered by the dealership on the basic and comfort line, However there is a polo coming to me for an audio upgrade in couple of weeks who has purchased the Kenwood 5110 2din with the 2 din dash kit etc for 20k from VW dealer,
I will have to check on what they have done on his car.

The reason I put this up is because whenever I get a VW car owner walk in for an Audio install, they ask me the same questions about wiring and that comes obviously from the mental conditioning the dealership puts them through. Seeing this is just plain sad.

I think more of the polo owners should get a door pad opened at the dealer itself after the after market audio has been installed just to be double sure whether they have been taken for a ride by the very same dealer who convinced them to spend more at the showroom level for protecting their warranty.
Old 9th February 2011, 07:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

So if some one wants a VW Highline version, with his/her own ICE, whats the way? Cant one ask for Highline without ICE?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 07:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

I somehow dont think VW invaldiates warranties if a third party fits the stereo. If this was the case, VW should fit the items themselves as standard. VW might invalidate if the fault came from poor installation, not if the installation was to standard.

My bet would be that the installation would not even be done in VW Donwtowns name. It will be the dealers buddy, relative who operates within the showroom. Check the invoicing!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 12:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Owner of the car says he has a bill from Downtown VW for the audio install, I will exclude his personal info and put up the bill over here when he gives it to me.

Worst part this guy had paid up the full amount for the car up front and they promised him a 15 day ETA and the car took 7 months to get delivered.

Last edited by blueraven316 : 9th February 2011 at 12:38.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe that salesmen do the deals with external car accessory guys and take their car to get the audio etc fitted. This gets them commission and I guess the management knows about this.

Anyway,lets see what VW has to say regarding this.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 19:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Shoddy ICE installation by Volkswagen Showroom in a VW Polo

Nothing new, even Maruti scares its buyers, usually its the Service center/Showroom guys who say this but with Maruti its now even mentioned in the Owner's Manual that accessories fitted out side company authorized centers may void the warranty.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 08:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Nothing new, even Maruti scares its buyers, usually its the Service center/Showroom guys who say this but with Maruti its now even mentioned in the Owner's Manual that accessories fitted out side company authorized centers may void the warranty.
May or will??
That makes the difference and leads to ambiguity and legally(with my limited knowledge) has no weight in it!!! (someone correct me if I am wrong!!)
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 13:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

That is the worst ice install I have seen from a dealer. And that to from some one like VW. It is more of a one of case I am sure.

Another thing what happens, could be that someone takes delivery in the evening and the install is also done at that time. SO at the fag end of the day, the guys jus want to get home and do things in a hurry. But splicing wires is something bad.

May be they are trained by VW to splice wires in a trade mark fashion or something ;-)
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 14:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good example to enter the 'worst Audio installs' thread... that thread has gone quite for some time.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 14:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Usually I dont give 2 cents to the Warranty void jokes. But then, It is that one time the car turns out to be a lemon that we need such clauses as backup.

The dealers get their work done outside and there are very few like us who supervise what is being done.

This is indeed a big problem in Ahmedabad with no quality installers in place.

I would suggest the owner to take this up with VW and get a complete wiring and Parts replacement since I am sure these shoddy installers might have cut plastic parts haphazardly.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote