Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd March 2011, 11:53   #16
BHPian

Default re: On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt)

OMG!!!! What a setup. @thelord, your choice of different pieces of the puzzle is amazing.

I've read in many places than one that Morel components need to be powered to their recommended RMS levels and the Kenwood amp gives only 60W RMS compared to the required 90W, still shed some light on how the sound output is?

Also you considered DLS C6A's. How much are they retailing for?
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:09   #17
BHPian

Default re: On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Looks perfect. This is the same guy who did installation in my car, I wish I had such a clean install.

Morel's are bang for the buck, sound really decent for the price.

Lets wait for the break-in period and 2-3 sessions of tuning to give the final verdict.
We were discussing about team-bhp ICE section and some clean installs by Driven, B&T, Gunbir etc and he overheard our discussion. He said just wait-n-watch and he'll deliver a 'wireless' install

And yes, even out-of-the-box and without any damping, the Maximos have exceeded the expectation. They probably should only get better from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
@ thelord: Great install It is probably the neatest install that I have come across in Chandigarh. Who is this installer? AFAIK most installers in Chandigarh do a horrendous job.
Also, did you source the entire equipment from Chandigarh?
Thanks! Even I think this is one of the neatest in town. Most Chandigarh installers are waiting for cars to arrive so that they can execute their sadist butchering adventures . The scene is really sad. I have sent you a PM with the installer details. Other than the components, everything else was sourced from Chandigarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
OMG!!!! What a setup. @thelord, your choice of different pieces of the puzzle is amazing.

I've read in many places than one that Morel components need to be powered to their recommended RMS levels and the Kenwood amp gives only 60W RMS compared to the required 90W, still shed some light on how the sound output is?

Also you considered DLS C6A's. How much are they retailing for?
Thanks dude! Yep, most Morel components are low-sensitivity drivers, so they take in more power to produce the same db level. Maximos are rated at ~91db which is quite more than most of their other offerings, so even with 60W RMS, they are singing smooth and clear. Also, the 90W RMS rating is more like a guideline that they can handle this much power without pushing its mechanical setup to the limits. (Although I still believe that amps should have more power on tap, gives you quite a lot of dynamic headroom to provide clean power whenever required)

The DLS C6A's were available here for ~6.5-7k. That's another nice set of components for the price. However, their distribution and support has gone down of late.

Last edited by thelord : 3rd March 2011 at 13:10.
thelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 14:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Super Clean install, and a very good VFM setup. I might be taking more than a leaf from this list.

Can you please tell me how much did you pay for Blaupunkt GTw 1200, MTX StreetWire and Scosche RCA. What brand of damping are you plan to use, and what is the price?

TIA, and kudos on a very well done audio install. :
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 21:26   #19
BHPian

thats a nice clean install, i like the way how the installer has hidden the screws and wires from the seat carpet cloth thing, i would like to know one thing though why dosent the screws which are penetrated through the sheet metal of seat while screwing poke the rear passengers? i assume that they may be short and only felt while applying pressure through finger on that very point but what in case of accident or sudden jerk, wont they poke the person and cause some injury, are they some kind of special flat end screws or what, can anyone post a picture?
makanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 02:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Super Clean install, and a very good VFM setup. I might be taking more than a leaf from this list.

Can you please tell me how much did you pay for Blaupunkt GTw 1200, MTX StreetWire and Scosche RCA. What brand of damping are you plan to use, and what is the price?

TIA, and kudos on a very well done audio install. :
Thanks! Keep us posted on how your install goes bro.

The Blaupunkt sub cost us 2.5k with B&W. Streetwire Kit + Scosche RCA was for another 2k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
thats a nice clean install, i like the way how the installer has hidden the screws and wires from the seat carpet cloth thing, i would like to know one thing though why dosent the screws which are penetrated through the sheet metal of seat while screwing poke the rear passengers? i assume that they may be short and only felt while applying pressure through finger on that very point but what in case of accident or sudden jerk, wont they poke the person and cause some injury, are they some kind of special flat end screws or what, can anyone post a picture?
Some very interesting points that you made there. Will check this sometime and let you know.
Old 5th March 2011, 21:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very practical and clean setup indeed.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 14:25   #22
BHPian

We were finally able to take out some time for damping. The material's brand is not known as of now but the quality is much better than Noisekill which I used in my car. The material is heavier, thicker and sticks on quite easily and strongly.

End Result: No rattles or unwanted noise from the front. Just clean sound output from the Morels. The mid-bass has improved considerably. The gains on Kenwood M845 are at approx 10-o-clock and after running-in the speakers for a week more, we plan to tune the gains using a multimeter. Overall, an extremely balanced setup in a tight budget.

Here are a few pics of the damping install

On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt)-img_1776.jpg
On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt)-img_1778.jpg
On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt)-img_1779.jpg
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:39   #23
BHPian

Default Re: On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt)

Nice setup ! I'll definitely be looking at the Morel Maximos for my soon-to-arrive SX4 ZXi which I plan to mate with a Pioneer 4-ch amp, a 12-inch JBL sub (sealed) that I have from my old Palio. The stock SX4 HU will most probably be replaced with the JVC KW-AVX830.
etchemkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:18   #24
BHPian

Default Re: On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt)

Nice. This thread is an eye opener for me. I am looking for comp speaker with the similar sound signature. Warm but not laid back, good sound stage, airy, not overly bright. Morel looks to me perfect. I am planning to get JBL X333. With a 4 channel amp + sub + morel = 20K seems to be perfect SQ setup for the entry level.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 00:18   #25
BHPian

The Morel drivers definitely take their own sweet time to break in. After almost 3 weeks, the mid-bass and mid-range has opened up quite nicely. The tweeters are sweet and thin on treble. We pumped up the gains a tad bit and I gotta say, the Morels surely love power. Overall, I'd rate them very close to the Bull Audio component set. Bull comps are more neutral/accurate with more mid-bass. The Maximos on the other hand have this distinct sweet sound which is also more detailed but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

A worthy buy for the price? Hell yea!
Old 25th March 2011, 08:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

The setup is extreamly clean and it is cablefree setup.

@Thelord how long did it take to install the first stage.
i would love to get things done in My figo and could you please forward me the installer details?
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 08:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
The Morel drivers definitely take their own sweet time to break in. After almost 3 weeks, the mid-bass and mid-range has opened up quite nicely. The tweeters are sweet and thin on treble. We pumped up the gains a tad bit and I gotta say, the Morels surely love power. Overall, I'd rate them very close to the Bull Audio component set. Bull comps are more neutral/accurate with more mid-bass. The Maximos on the other hand have this distinct sweet sound which is also more detailed but it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

A worthy buy for the price? Hell yea!
Sweet sound you mean analytical or fun sounding. How is the sound stage? airy or close sounding.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Sweet sound you mean analytical or fun sounding. How is the sound stage? airy or close sounding.
"airy or close sounding" is understandable. What is "analytical or fun sounding"??? For some reason, I am getting images of Professors and Students in my mind.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 09:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
The sound-stage is quite nice and airy. A lot of credit for that goes to Swift's design as well, you put in the tweeter at any position and the sound-stage is always decent.

Not sure if understood your other question correctly, but if you asked if the Maximos are detailed, then yes they are. You can hear some finer nuances that most other sets in this price would miss out.

@DerAlte
LOL, even I was confused for a second

@desideep
Thanks bro! The phase 1 of install started at around 10 in the morning and went well past 4 in the evening.
I have messaged you the installer details. Definitely book an appointment in advance if you are coming from out of town.

Last edited by thelord : 26th March 2011 at 09:39.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:48   #30
BHPian

Analytical sounding is flat sounding. It has lots of details and resolution and most of the non audiophiles wont like it eg. RE-0 hear phones.
Fun sounding is a signature where it has slight punchy bass (no bottom end) not boom type and higher highs(no cymbals, No sparkle). Mids are recessed. Sound separation and resolution is not the criteria. Everyone will like the sound but its not perfect sounding.