Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 12th May 2011, 19:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: "Made in India" Commercial Vehicles spotted abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsb350 View Post
No anjan_c2007, the Taxi are not dominated by Suzuki.Its just one company by the name of RED CAB and if you see the number plate its starts with RC. Yes you have the option of getting custom number plates in Nigeria.This company only has SX4 Hatch and the Alto as taxi.

There is one intesting fact about Nigeria. They use 2 Wheeler bikes as taxi or as a commercial vehicle here. You could see in the Pic that the person riding the Bike has a helmet on his Head and one spare on the bike for the rider.(Not all wear helmets and the ones who wear are cheap quality just be on the side of the LAW) Posting some pics Of Hamara BAJAJ BOXER which is very sucessful here and in just 2 years it has dominated the Market.

Along with it i have some pics of the TATA buses.
Thanks for all the information.Unless we see these posts and pictures, we may not believe that our India made automobiles are selling well in Nigeria.
The greatest joke is the pictures of the Bajaj Boxers here on this thread. Did the member who created this thread ever dream of these two wheeler pictures being posted here?
These are commercial vehicles spotted abroad after all!
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 14:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
...The greatest joke is the pictures of the Bajaj Boxers here on this thread. Did the member who created this thread ever dream of these two wheeler pictures being posted here?
These are commercial vehicles spotted abroad after all!
Bajaj Boxers do very well in Nigeria. They have almost killed off the Chinese bikes that were prolific earlier. The same goes for Bajaj three-wheelers vis-a-vis their Chinese counterparts.

PS: I have first-hand experience of pillion riding on okadas (motorcycle taxis) in Nigeria. In comparison, motorcycle riders in India have impeccable riding manners.
PPS: Okada riders are innovative. To reduce the bikes' footprint on the road, they pull the handlebars inwards. This lets them zig-zag through traffic, passing through spaces just wide enough for a human being to walk through.
PPPS: I would also like to say that Nigerians are probably the friendliest people you will ever meet. I don't know why gsb350 says otherwise.
lucifer1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 15:04   #18
BHPian

Someone mentioned Sri Lanka -
Tuk Tuks (Autos, as known in SL) are very famous penetrating even into the rural markets. They are a common sight in Colombo area.
Below is a pic taken at the Sita Eliya Temple (known as the place where Ravana held Sita Devi captive).
"Made in India" Commercial Vehicles spotted abroad-auto.jpeg

Below is an Ashok Leyland bus (not very clear in the pic though) taken on the way to Nuwar Eliya. AL and TATA commercial vehicles are ruling the market there (of course, MAN, Renault, Benz are also seen to a smaller extent). A van dirver (former bus driver) told me that (as they believe) TATA is competent on flat to moderately flat roads where as AL's strength lies in climbing up hills. I am not sure though.
"Made in India" Commercial Vehicles spotted abroad-bus.jpg
BusyBoyKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 15:12   #19
BHPian

lucifer1881 What i said was The people are not very friendly in public if you want to click their Pictures. Otherwise you stand correct. You have to go and ask them hey can i click you pictures and the reason why you are clicking it. Yeh it comes down to a small DASH (money give out) but imagine the Okada riders will be all over you. They have a great union and if one of their guys has a small accident or argument with a guy in a Car , bus or any private transport vehicle they all come around to be with their Guy and they can get Nasty.

Any way went today out to the Okada stop to click picture with a Nigerian Friend and even he had to explain why he is clicking their Pic. One of the riders said that he needs permission from their Union Secretaty.. My friend than told them he is doing this for one of his report for road safety and he could have clicked the picture without telling them. So they Obliged him saying only one shot which i am posting.

The other picture is on a TVS bike along with the rider. The Guy delivers News papers to our office so he stood next to the bike and i got a pic of his TVS bike which is not in a very Good shape.

ucifer1881 i will definately try to get a good picture of small handlebars and post them. i Could not muster enough courage to ride as a Pillion with them and would never do. Would rather sit in a Go-slow (Nigerian word for Traffic Jam) in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Bajaj Boxers do very well in Nigeria. They have almost killed off the Chinese bikes that were prolific earlier. The same goes for Bajaj three-wheelers vis-a-vis their Chinese counterparts.

PS: I have first-hand experience of pillion riding on okadas (motorcycle taxis) in Nigeria. In comparison, motorcycle riders in India have impeccable riding manners.
PPS: Okada riders are innovative. To reduce the bikes' footprint on the road, they pull the handlebars inwards. This lets them zig-zag through traffic, passing through spaces just wide enough for a human being to walk through.
PPPS: I would also like to say that Nigerians are probably the friendliest people you will ever meet. I don't know why gsb350 says otherwise.
gsb350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:49   #20
BHPian

Sorry Guys Missed out the pictures as promised in my last mail
Attached Thumbnails
"Made in India" Commercial Vehicles spotted abroad-dscf0438.jpg  

"Made in India" Commercial Vehicles spotted abroad-dscf0439.jpg  

gsb350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 23:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Guys Missed out the pictures as promised in my last mail
No registration on the front number plate? Is is a common practice not to have registration numbers?
BusyBoyKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 21:55   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Off-Topic posts deleted. Kindly stick to the topic.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 05:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
No registration on the front number plate? Is is a common practice not to have registration numbers?
Many places do not require front license plates. In US this varies from state to state. Don't know about other counties though.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:41   #24
BHPian

Mahindra ute, I've seen at least 2 more running around Sydney. This one was spotted in the suburb of North Sydney.
Attached Thumbnails
"Made in India" Commercial Vehicles spotted abroad-dsc_0641.jpg  

Last edited by Paulstar : 22nd May 2011 at 12:44. Reason: Added img!
Paulstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

ute? It's a pick up truck.
Ute's are those which are based on sedan platforms and share body parts and styling with it's sedan counterparts.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:09   #26
BHPian

Mate in Oz land anything with a tray is called an ute.

Paulstar- I have seen one near bankstown and a couple of them near Camden.
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Terrific pics guys. I would love to see more of these. This could be for non commercial vehicles too.

Quote:
To start of with our very Favourite Bajaj Three Wheeler (Auto)
Those pics are straight out of any town in TN.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 10:34   #28
BHPian

Came back from a trip to Nepal (Kathmandu, Pokhara, Jumsom, Mukthinath). a few observations and unfortunately no photos as my camera tonked.

1) First vehicle spotted was a Tata Super ACE
2) Truck & bus market dominated by Tatas
3) M800, Alto, Santro & Kia vehicles dominate the car segment. Very few Indicas. No auto rickshaws but lot of M800 taxis. Share autos in Kathmandu are battery operated Vikrams. Diesel shortage was sighted. Smoke from Diesel vehicles non existent when you compare with a typical Indian metro.
4) Other cars spotted includes Nissan Sunny, Toyota Echo/Yaris
5) Indica is hardly present but could see a few Vistas. Only one Manza though.
6) If Indian love for Chrome is well documented, you have got to see the Nepalis. rear view mirrors, rub gaurds, bumpers all in Chrome
7) Offroading is Mahindra territory. The trip from Jumsom to Mukthinath was on a Mahindra Jeep (hard top) with 10 people on board. The suspension is awesome for that piece of gravel road cutting across rivers and boulders. Spotted a few Tata Mobile 4x4 TDI vehicles in the mix as well.
8) Van market dominated by Toyota, Tata, Kia and Hyundai. very few tempo travellers.
9) People drive a lot more sedately than Indian cities.
10) Bajaj rules the roost on the bike segment with Pulsars and discovers.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 10:55   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulstar View Post
Mahindra ute, I've seen at least 2 more running around Sydney. This one was spotted in the suburb of North Sydney.
Had seen a Mahindra dealer (was alongside some other showroom) near Rome fiumicino airport, Italy. Scorpios, Bolero, Bolero- Invader were parked in the yard. Wasnt able to get pic since was in bus. Never knew Mahindra's were exporting to Europe, had heard about their US plans on TBHP.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 13:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Both Mahindra and Tata do decently well in Europe. Both the Safari and the Goa(Scorpio) have a name for being cheap but tough SUVs. Mahindra does espcially well in Italy.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote