Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 3rd February 2006, 21:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

i sure would love to see a uniformed driver at the wheel of the bus im travelling in - satya first impressions do make a difference but on long hauls who knows whether he driver is dressed or not when we catch 40 winks
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 23:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

A person who looks presentable creates only a good first impression. But his performance has to follow it up.

On the other hand, an untrained person can also use a uniform to mask his incompetence.

To conclude...in todays world you need to have both in order to beat your competetion.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 13:37   #33
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default Uniform tells much more than just neatness and sincerity of intent

A hired driver does not buy himself a uniform to mask his incompetence. Usually the bus service company, with all its structured processes and procedures provides the uniforms.

The consumer benefits from the company's structured processes and procedures.
These may include, for instance, Internet/computerized check-in and seating, adherence to published schedules, documented and trained safe driving practices, timely maintenance of the fleet, proper receipts for fare collected, no overbooking, etc. Frequently these processes are certified by an independent body. For example, the Raj National Travels have a documented ISO-9001:2000 process.

Their service is run with the seriousness of an airline.

The uniform is only indicative that the coach-company is serious about their offering and has done a whole host of structured thinking.

Proprietorships by uneducated traders generally lack the structured thinking (and the uniforms too).
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 21:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
A hired driver does not buy himself a uniform to mask his incompetence. Usually the bus service company, with all its structured processes and procedures provides the uniforms.

The consumer benefits from the company's structured processes and procedures.
These may include, for instance, Internet/computerized check-in and seating, adherence to published schedules, documented and trained safe driving practices, timely maintenance of the fleet, proper receipts for fare collected, no overbooking, etc. Frequently these processes are certified by an independent body. For example, the Raj National Travels have a documented ISO-9001:2000 process.

Their service is run with the seriousness of an airline.

The uniform is only indicative that the coach-company is serious about their offering and has done a whole host of structured thinking.

Proprietorships by uneducated traders generally lack the structured thinking (and the uniforms too).

well said..also their salaries are proportionate to their skill sets(airline pilots and bus drivers)
a volvo driver is paid much more than an ordinary coach driver...
adit1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 22:18   #35
BHPian

Cool

True what ram said...... i recently travelled to Bombay on a Raj National Express Volvo, and was impressed by many things, some of which i will list.......
  • Neat ticketing counter.
  • E-tkts with detailed information.
  • Checked baggage facility.
  • Travel kit.
  • Headphones [Very helpful as i have travelled on the other Vlovos and couldn't sleep a wink because of Munnabhai MBBS and the sorts!!!]
  • On scheduled departure.
  • Uniformed coach driver
  • Uniformed assistant and helping hand.
When Raj travels launched the Raj National Express they had a Rs. 99 one way ticket to Bombay, i was to take the offer when i came down for the Autocar Performance Show but my brother prefers the Deccan Queen over the bus, well actually i do too!!! Nothing beats the Deccan Queen where reliability is concerned!!!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 16:16   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Well in the south there are few operators that operate their buses professionally. The top name that comes to the mind is KPN, their Volvo buses are neatly maintained, even old ones, and the drivers do have uniforms and are experienced. Recently i had booked a ticket from bangalore to trivandrum in a non ac bus, but the non ac bus was cancelled and they put all the passengers who had booked for non ac in their volvo, didn't charge anything extra. And we werent given backseats bcoz we were non ac passengers, i & a fellow passenger got to sit in the front.

Kallada is another operator who maintains it's buses well, not as good as KPN but well.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 13:51   #37
BHPian

I've travelled a lot by Raj Travels Volvos. From April to June, I have travelled between Bangalore - Mumbai - Baroda and Mumbai - Pune many times by their volvo.

Their internet booking facility is the best thing I like about them. Without getting up from my seat in my office in Blore, I can book for Blore-Mumbai and Mumbai-Baroda in 10 minutes. And better still, I can choose my seat online ! Before Raj, the Mumbai-Baroda tickets were always a matter of luck - I had to get down at Sion Circle and then rush to private bus operators going to Gujarat and then check if tickets are available just 2 hours before the departure.

Edmund has already gone into Raj Travel's plus points. And is bang on !

Here's some more +ve points:

1. They give Mid-day paper on their Mumbai-Pune route - 7:30 PM trip. Just the right thing (light reading and entertainment news) to tide over those 2-3 hours. They dont seem to give this on any other route.

2. Their buses are well maintained. Although you see a big broken glass on the 2 PM bus from Blore-Mumbai route. I heard one of my fellow travellers say its from an accident. But to me, it looks to be damaged by a stone throw (maybe during the Dr. Rajkumar funeral mayhem - they damaged a lot of buses that time).

3. Their attendants seem to know how to operate the video equipment. Hurray !

4. All seats have seat belts. Given the speed at which these buses drive, thats a boon.

5. Havent encountered many rash drivers in their fleet.

6. Their stops for food are at decent places. Food prices may be marginally higher, but neatness is definitely better at these eateries.

But I've seen their service slip rapidly in the 3 months from April to June (perhaps they are getting over-confidant). Here are some pointers:

1. They've stopped giving blankets to take home, since sometime in Jun-06. I've quite a collection by now :-).

2. They've stopped giving blankets now - even to use in their bus . But they still continue to have their ACs on at full blast, during night travel.

3. Almost all their buses have water dripping for the window seats in row 5 (due to strong AC). Tip - avoid seat 5 window seats while booking online.

4. As many as 40% of their ear plug sockets dont work. And they dont put the movie on speakers. So if your ear plug sockets in seat dont work, you will end up watching a silent movie.

5. They dont seem to change the movies for months on end. I've seen 'Taxi No 9211' atleast 3-4 times in 2 months (and viewed it as a silent movie the first time bcoz of the problem mentioned in point 4 above)

6. Their website is error prone. E.g. They started showing 'Thane' as the pickup point for Mumbai-Blore sometime in May-06. But when I called up to confirm a day before, they said they dont have a pickup point in Thane for this particular route. I then had to make 4-5 last minute frantic calls to their offices and finally managed to catch the bus from Ghatkopar.

7. Their pickup points are far and few. So be ready to shell out atleast 100 Rs on an average at the source and destination on autos, depending on where you stay. But the way I look at this is that, its a small price for a comfortable trip on the main-route (say of 20-hour duration for Blore-Mumbai).

8. Regarding their Internet booking, I faced another strange problem once at their Bandra office. They lost all booking details of their 7:30 PM service. Seems their backend guys were doing some maintenance of the database on ther server ! Finally, they were asking ppl to try to recollect their seat nos. if possible. They definitely need to do a lot of work on their internet facility !

I've slowly moved over to airlines in last few months (lottery laga kya ?). But thats another story.

To summarise:

1. Mumbai-Gujarat route: For any trips from Mumbai towards any Gurajat city, I only go by Raj Travels. All other bus operators that side are pathetic, to say the least.

2. Bangalore-Mumbai route: Raj Travels or Sharma Travels Volvo. Sharma is equally good when it comes to bus quality and timings.

3. Bangalore-Kerala: KPN definitely for timings and bus quality. If you want to save on commuting at the destination, prefer Kallada as it can drop you just near your house as it touches many rural points. Last option, Air-One Volvo.

Last edited by pravin_sn : 28th July 2006 at 14:05.
pravin_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 22:03   #38
BHPian

Volvos are doing a good job. But many volvos are just driven and driven and driven with no maintenance. I saw a post of aditi he mentioend about Volvo of Paulo Travels, I fully agree with him, badly maintained buses. They have modified the bus to have both seating and sleeper and the 16 seats in the front have berths above their heads, so you want to stretch your hands, come to the gangway and stretch.

I also travelled by Conti travels between Coimbatore and Bangalore, another example of badly maintained buses. Raj travels was among the best I had seen, along with KSRTC volvos on which I travelled to Goa from Bangalore.
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 16:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravin_sn
3. Bangalore-Kerala: KPN definitely for timings and bus quality. If you want to save on commuting at the destination, prefer Kallada as it can drop you just near your house as it touches many rural points. Last option, Air-One Volvo.
Hey last time When I came By kallda.. The Entire seats were infested with LICE.. There was a big blood stain on another guy's shirt.. and Even My hands and back were fullof rashes... I Usually get down at my office and hop into Christine.('99 Zen).. this time.. the LIce spead to my car seats...!!!!!!!

Spent an Entire Bottle On Hit.. Spraying Inside... Anyway The lice were no more.. But te interiors had a Funny Smell..

Anjyway this was the Ranny- Bangalore Regular airbus...
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 21:29   #40
BHPian

I am a regular on the bangalore - Hyderbad Route,

My Exp with Private Volvo's (RAJ,SHARMA,DIWAKAR,HKB,GEEPEE)
God be with the people who travel in these hell on wheels
1) Double booking on tickets, So you have to fight it out with your co passengers as the staff do not want to get into jhan jhat, (devised a logic whoever has booked first gets the seat some reasonable people agree to this some other's the barbaric lot size you up you act tough then they give away or the don't budge

2) Video's are crap some of them vernacular and hence not suitable to all. And there is always one in the bus who thinks its fun to watch a video at 1 AM in the night.

3) Mineral water sometimes provided sometimes not.

4) Ontime departures .. stop kidding there is nothhing like that, they wait for the last seat and the last teeny weeny cargo space filled up.

5) Drivers some of them reek with alcohol, and if u like speed you will enjoy this the front seats are not for the faint hearted. YOu should see them overtake at high speeds

6) The seat conditions you are lucky if they work else better luck next time.

7) Fares fluctuates from agent to agent and if there is a hike blame it on the govt.

KSRTC and APSRTC

1) Timely departures I would say excellent, timely arrivals come on are'nt we expecting too much, the drivers who are very polite at the busstands change characters when they move out, they stop for ages at crappy hotels

2) Condition of the seats make sure its working at the start of the journey, the staff at the bus station will ensure all have functional seats

3) Driving I think is incentivised and hence I can sleep peacefully with out fear of having to wake up each time the bus brakes, I must hand it to them on this. they are very mindful when taking turns,braking etc.

4) The buses are clean and if you are not satisfied make sure its cleant whislt at the station, they are very accomadative here.

5) Request stops can be a boon and a bane they always accomadate every one's request

6) Double booking never ever.
7) Videos some times if you take your own CD they oblige if its's hindi.. english is a strict no no.

7) Mineral water and wet tissues always provided

SUMMARY
I make it a point to take a govt run volvo if I am not flying, Even if it means spending a neat pile on commuting to and fro from the stand.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 18th October 2006 at 21:30.
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 21:41   #41
BHPian

Main reasons why i prefer MSRTC volvo to a private one for Mumbai - Pune
1. More legroom..achieved by one less row of seats i think
2. pretty much always start on time
3. Drivers are definitely more disciplined
4. Did i mention more legroom
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 21:08   #42
BHPian

Indeed Neeta Volvo buses are detiorating rapidly. On Mumbai-Pune route TPH and Neeta are fiercely competing for the "worst maintained Volvo crown". And Neeta usually wins hands down..........
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 15:00   #43
BHPian

Thumbs down

Here is the state of another Volvo bus run by a private operator, it runs on the Pune route..

You can say Service under the bridge by some inexperienced people rather then the official workshop.There was some work going on, but now its just laying there gatherin dust..If this how some PVT operators are gona get the work of their Volvo buses done,then we had it.
So much for safety of the passengers ....

Regards Ed..
egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 20:05   #44
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Here is the state of another Volvo bus run by a private operator, it runs on the Pune route..

You can say Service under the bridge by some inexperienced people rather then the official workshop.There was some work going on, but now its just laying there gatherin dust..If this how some pvt. operators are gona get the work of their Volvo buses done,then we had it.
So much for safety of the passengers ....

Regards Ed..
Doesn't it look like it has been stolen and stripped of all wheels, tires, headlamps, wipers, bumper...?

And shouldn't the municipal corporation prosecute the illegal garage for misuse of municipal space under the bridge?

If I remember right, Pravas Volvo are neither from Mumbai nor Pune but registered as MH-34, at Chandrapur, MH.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 00:17   #45
BHPian

Ram,if u notice the third pic you will see another blue Volvo on the left side,there were another two Volvo buses parked under the Flyover. And no it hasnt been stolen and stripped of all wheels, tires, headlamps, wipers, bumper, its more like they were removed and regarding the wheels its still a mystery.Will come to know tommorow as i got some work there.

Pravas Volvo have daily serivce from Thane to Pune because i used to see their buses daily outside the State Transport Depot waiting for customers.The space under the bride has been auctioned off to contractors who run pay and park service. This has been misused by some people who run garages under the flyovers.

Regards Ed..
egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote