Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 18th September 2007, 01:16   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
The space under the bride has been auctioned off to contractors...
How much would I need to bid for a parking space?

Om a more serious note, I travelled by MSRTC's Shivneri last weekend and it was a pleasant experience, right from the waiting sheds at Dadar to the midway halt to the sensible speeds. It covered the distance in under three hours. I hadn't read this write-up then, but clearly something warned me not to risk the private Volvos!
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 13:42   #47
BHPian

Neetas : Err.. still have 7-8 yrs old first generation Volvos running. In rains, the overhead A/c air vent thing, it leaks! Back rest of seats are torn (from the back side). lights never work. Vibrations and noise from the engine too much. Avg time from Pune station to Vashi : 4.5 hrs

Shivneri : well informed and helpful staff. Avg time from station to vashi : 3.5hrs.

Also, on the other long distances routes, KSRTC volvos seem to be the best but i was equally surprised to see two (yes 2..) LCD screens in one of the Sharma volvos i took from Davanagere to Mumbai!
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 14:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Hey last time When I came By kallda.. The Entire seats were infested with LICE.. There was a big blood stain on another guy's shirt.. and Even My hands and back were fullof rashes... I Usually get down at my office and hop into Christine.('99 Zen).. this time.. the LIce spead to my car seats...!!!!!!!

Spent an Entire Bottle On Hit.. Spraying Inside... Anyway The lice were no more.. But te interiors had a Funny Smell..

Anjyway this was the Ranny- Bangalore Regular airbus...
You are right. I missed that point abt Kallada.The seats can be very bad sometimes. Just go for the best always - KPN.
I've not gone to Kerala for last 1 year, so not sure what is the state of buses now.
Any new volvos introduced since Nov-06?
pravin_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 02:16   #49
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai-Pune Volvo bus: State vs. Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
The space under the bride has been auctioned off to contractors who run pay and park service.
Regards Ed..
This is the best bit in the whole thread. What a fantastic slip
hell_rider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 18:13   #50
BHPian

Came across this thread when I was looking for a public transport way to reach Powai from Pune. Looks like none of the Shivneri trips take JVLR, which is sad.

So where (which bus stop as per Shivneri list - Maitri Park? Anushaktinagar or some other?) should one get down from Shivneri and take what means to reach Powai (auto? taxi? Or are there best buses at good frequency?)

Alternatively, are there service cabs from Pune that take JVLR?
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 07:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
So where (which bus stop as per Shivneri list - Maitri Park? Anushaktinagar or some other?) should one get down from Shivneri and take what means to reach Powai (auto? taxi? Or are there best buses at good frequency?)

Take a Shivneri to Thane. Get down at Eastern Expess highway junction after Airoli Toll Baka (tell the driver that you want to goto Powai). From there take a Rick/Cab/Uber/Ola to Powai

Another option is to board Sivneri to Dadar and alight at Chembur and then take a cab.
But this is traffic prone and time consuming

Last option is to board Shivneri for Borivili and aboard at Andheri and take a Rick/cab to Powai. This option is also traffic prone and time consuming.

It's your choice and also depends on which part of the town you are comfortable with and the time contriants.

I know some people who take private buses, but I just stick to Shivneri. Been using these services for over 10 years.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 17:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Came across this thread when I was looking for a public transport way to reach Powai from Pune. Looks like none of the Shivneri trips take JVLR, which is sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Take a Shivneri to Thane. Get down at Eastern Expess highway junction after Airoli Toll Baka (tell the driver that you want to goto Powai). From there take a Rick/Cab/Uber/Ola to Powai
Another option if you alight after Airoli toll naka is route # 123 & 125 NMMT Volvos to Borivali. They have a good frequency, last bus at that point should be around 21:30 hrs. Most of the Thane Shivneri buses depart from Swargate and exit the city via Karve Road and Chandani Chowk. If the buses departing from Pune station are better suited for you then you can take Dadar bus from station and alight at CBD Belapur (Konkan Bhavan) from where you can catch the aforementioned 123 and 125 for Borivali. This shall consume a little more time as the said NMMT routes indulge in some "Navi Mumbai Darshan" before reaching Airoli. If you wish to avoid that continue with the Dadar Shivneri upto Maharashtra Nagar signal (before Mankhurd stn) and get down there. Cross the road to join the Ghatkoper link road and take a rik or cab from there. You can also catch the C60 non a/c express bus of BEST from that point. It plys between Deonar Depot and Borivali stn (E) via EEH, Powai, JVLR.

HTH
Anwesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 19:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
Another option if you alight after Airoli toll naka is route # 123 & 125 NMMT Volvos to Borivali. They have a good frequency, ... If you wish to avoid that continue with the Dadar Shivneri upto Maharashtra Nagar signal (before Mankhurd stn) and get down there. Cross the road to join the Ghatkoper link road and take a rik or cab from there. You can also catch the C60 non a/c express bus of BEST from that point. It plys between Deonar Depot and Borivali stn (E) via EEH, Powai, JVLR.
HTH
Thanks freedom and Anwesh.

I never thought of Thane bus option. Looks like from Airoli the distance is less as compared to Vashi.

Only advantage of Vashi route is better frequency of Dadar as well as Borivali buses.
Isn't Maitri Park an option to get down? I am asking because it is a listed stop in both Dadar and Borivli buses. Or do they stop at many of the unlisted points?

Also, does the Dadar/Borivali bus stop at or near Deonar Depot from where you mentioned C60 starts?

Last edited by mayuresh : 21st December 2015 at 19:57.
Old 21st December 2015, 22:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks freedom and Anwesh.

Also, does the Dadar/Borivali bus stop at or near Deonar Depot from where you mentioned C60 starts?
Maitri Park and Deonar Depot are nearby.
Anwesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 22:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
Another option if you alight after Airoli toll naka is route # 123 & 125 NMMT Volvos to Borivali.
I took this journey this weekend by alighting at Chembur.

Next time I wish to give a try with train and choose what suits me better. I presume, Thane railway station will be more appropriate boarding/alighting point for commute Powai. Right?

Seems from irctc website that Indrayani, Pragati and Intercity are the only 3 trains (among the Pune-Mum ones) that stop at Thane. Please suggest if any experiences with their punctuality etc.

Also after alighting at Thane railway station are there (preferably direct) buses to reach Powai and from which side of the station (East/West)?
Old 28th December 2015, 09:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Also after alighting at Thane railway station are there (preferably direct) buses to reach Powai and from which side of the station (East/West)?
If you are new to Mumbai, my humble suggestion to avoid local trains on working day peak hours. Trust me, this is a Mumbaikar speaking.

If you insist on train, then here is a less painful option.

Board Deccan Queen/Pragati/Singhagad (in that order of punctuality and cleanliness) at Pune alight at Dadar.

Option 1
At Dadar, Just ask people about how to goto the right platform for going to Kanjurmarg.

Alight at Kanjurmarg and goto "West". Once on the main road (2 mins walk), there are loads of options like Auto/share Auto/bus etc.

The reason I am suggesting Dadar - Kanjurmarg is that you will be travelling in the opposite direction (Northbound) compared to Peak hour morning commuters (Southbound)

Option 2
At Dadar, Just ask people about how to goto the right platform for going to Ghatkopar.

Alight at Ghatkopar take the evelvated Metro to SakiNaka. From Sakinanak take an Auto to Powai (not sure about the traffic on this route these days)

This plan is assuming that you are starting from Pune early morning.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 17:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
If you are new to Mumbai, my humble suggestion to avoid local trains on working day peak hours. Trust me, this is a Mumbaikar speaking.

If you insist on train, then here is a less painful option.

Board Deccan Queen/Pragati/Singhagad (in that order of punctuality and cleanliness) at Pune alight at Dadar.
Agree, I won't prefer local trains either.

I am not that new to Mumbai, though I have always driven to Mumbai, at least in last few years. So do not know much about public transport. Now, I am in need to travel frequently, hence looking for public transport.

I am surprised about Dadar as alighting point. Why not Thane? By the time train reaches Dadar one would have covered fair amount of distance towards Powai from Thane station by bus or auto. No? 3 trains (Pragati, Indrayani, Intercity) stop at Thane. (Of course only Pragati if starting on the same day and other two if starting on previous day.)
Old 28th December 2015, 17:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I took this journey this weekend by alighting at Chembur.

Next time I wish to give a try with train and choose what suits me better. I presume, Thane railway station will be more appropriate boarding/alighting point for commute Powai. Right?

Seems from irctc website that Indrayani, Pragati and Intercity are the only 3 trains (among the Pune-Mum ones) that stop at Thane. Please suggest if any experiences with their punctuality etc.

Hi mayuresh,
Besides train and Shivneri bus, you have one more choice.

Go to Pune station ST stand. You will get shared private cab from there at any time of the day. I frequently use them. Just look for a good vehicle with a professional driver. I pay Rs. 300 or Rs. 350 depending upon the urgency and time of the day. The people who book you will ask for 400 or 500 but stick to 300 or 350.

I find this convenient because:
  1. No need to book train in advance. Ideal for a visit planned at 11th hour.
  2. You get a cab for Dadar or for Airport. The airport cabs go via Ghatkopar. You can get down there and proceed to Powai.

Edit: IMO, never consider private volvo bus as an option. Think that it simply does not exist. Refuse to board those buses even if they offer for free.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 28th December 2015 at 17:47.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 07:44   #59
BHPian

This may be a good news to folks seeking a state transport bus via Powai.

The via Thane Shivneri is being closed, which may be a bad news for some, and the same will be run on Powai route.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...t/51486085.cms