Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 09:32   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madurai
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Hino engine

I am building an off-roader for which I am looking for suitable engines. One engine I have narrowed down on is the Hino 4l engine. Since Hino made engines for Toyota can anyone tell me if the W04 or the leyland equivalent (better and newer) W04CTI has a similar bolt pattern to the LC 13BT engines?
Also where could I buy this?
jyobeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 11:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

AFAIK, the civilian Jonga's came with Hino 4L diesel engine. Its extremely rare, but you might be able to source it.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 14:21   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madurai
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Not really, Leyland has been using these engines for quite a while.
jyobeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 14:36   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 330 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
...Leyland has been using these engines for quite a while.
Yes, right. The 6-cyl HINO engines (with ZF all-synchromesh gear-boxes) were first used in AL buses during the early 90s.

I dont know about the 4-cyl ones, but you should be able to get used 6-cyl HINO engines from the scrap market dealers in Chennai.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 18th August 2011 at 14:38.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 14:45   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madurai
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

If I could fit a 6 cylinder engine I would go for a Cummins 6BT. Space would be an issue not to mention that the front Dana 30 would get destroyed in no time!
jyobeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 15:04   #6
BHPian
 
samm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Yes, right. The 6-cyl HINO engines (with ZF all-synchromesh gear-boxes) were first used in AL buses during the early 90s.

I dont know about the 4-cyl ones, but you should be able to get used 6-cyl HINO engines from the scrap market dealers in Chennai.
AL never used 4-cyl Hino engines. Also, only their buses (Cheetah, Viking models mostly) used Hino engines. The first 4-cyl engine that AL used was the Iveco engine which they used in 709 series and 909 series Cargo models. But this is old story.

I dont know last few years updates from AL. But I heard that AL has no tie-up with Iveco now. Probably they have started using 4-cyl Hinos.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 15:23   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Madurai
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
AL never used 4-cyl Hino engines.
I dont know last few years updates from AL. But I heard that AL has no tie-up with Iveco now. Probably they have started using 4-cyl Hinos.
Leyland moved to using the single engine Hino lineup (H series) from 2002 onwards. They have been using Hino engines (W) from 1983.

Last edited by jyobeb : 18th August 2011 at 15:27.
jyobeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 15:50   #8
Zed
BHPian
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 466
Thanked: 270 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

@ jyobeb - you are right the 4CTi engine (88 kW) is in use on trucks and bus chassis ( stag Lynx, e comet) and if im not mistaken they make a couple of thousand of these engines at Hosur every month. Im curious about what your off-roader is ....

The 4 Cyld hino engine has been in production for a while now and im sure there will be second hand engines avbl in the market.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 16:32   #9
BHPian
 
R32_GTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 543
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

You should be able to find them with scrap dealers in Pune and Panagarh (Kolkata).

I've been looking for one myself.
R32_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 17:13   #10
BHPian
 
samm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
@ jyobeb - you are right the 4CTi engine (88 kW) is in use on trucks and bus chassis ( stag Lynx, e comet) and if im not mistaken they make a couple of thousand of these engines at Hosur every month. Im curious about what your off-roader is ....

The 4 Cyld hino engine has been in production for a while now and im sure there will be second hand engines avbl in the market.
I guess AL replaced the 4cyl Iveco engines with 4 cyl Hinos. But they where using 4 cyl Ivecos in 709 & 909 series, but now those models doesnt seem to exist. I dont see any LCVs now? Are you sure the H-Series that AL make now are 4 cyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Leyland moved to using the single engine Hino lineup (H series) from 2002 onwards. They have been using Hino engines (W) from 1983.
@jyobeb, Just a wild thought- AL makes engines for industrial applications and marine applications. Will that help you? I'm not sure how the engine could be mated to the transmission, but I guess those spares should be available, since the engine by itself is the same which is used for automobiles.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 17:51   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 330 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
..... Im curious about what your off-roader is ...
I guess this is the one...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...4-project.html (New 4X4 project)
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 18:30   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I am building an off-roader for which I am looking for suitable engines. One engine I have narrowed down on is the Hino 4l engine. Since Hino made engines for Toyota can anyone tell me if the W04 or the leyland equivalent (better and newer) W04CTI has a similar bolt pattern to the LC 13BT engines?
Also where could I buy this?
AL is making 4CTi engines and they are operational in many of AL models like Ecomet, stag, Lynx and many export models.
Contact AL engine sales for your requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
AL never used 4-cyl Hino engines. Also, only their buses (Cheetah, Viking models mostly) used Hino engines. The first 4-cyl engine that AL used was the Iveco engine which they used in 709 series and 909 series Cargo models. But this is old story.

I dont know last few years updates from AL. But I heard that AL has no tie-up with Iveco now. Probably they have started using 4-cyl Hinos.
When Iveco engines were phased out they were replaced with Hino engines.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 18:40   #13
BHPian
 
samm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
AL is making 4CTi engines and they are operational in many of AL models like Ecomet, stag, Lynx and many export models.
Contact AL engine sales for your requirement.



When Iveco engines were phased out they were replaced with Hino engines.
Hey, are you from AL? Or worked there in the past?

I think getting new engines separately is a hard job from what I've heard - no clue why it is so. Maybe because of production constraints.
@ jyobeb:
There is one Leyparts warehouse just next to the Hosur Plant 1 near the Hosur - Bangalore border.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 18:47   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

One thing, if you are looking at Tata Safari chassis, a Tata 497 engine would probably be the easiest fit in there. The Safari came with a common rail version of the 497SP for some time. For more torque you can go in for the 3.8L 497 engine. This engine too should not be a tough find.

On the other hand, Leyland will probably give you a brand new 4cyl Hino. But here you have to get a transmission from elsewhere and finding a good transmission that has to match with the engine is not that easy.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 19:12   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Hino engine

@ Samm:Engines are always available and can be bought on request basis.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hino Bus spotted in India! binaiks Commercial Vehicles 13 30th November 2011 22:51
Hino trucks to muscle into Indian market undead Commercial Vehicles 2 15th November 2011 07:50
Deutz Engine Screensaver & Engine assembly/working animation mohit Shifting gears 19 14th July 2009 21:35
RTO Formalities for Engine change in Kerala (XDP4.9 engine to the XD3 engine) 4x4addict Modifications & Accessories 16 14th April 2009 21:51
Skoda FSI Engine, More powerful Diesel engine, new VW/Audi Platform? rangaraj The Indian Car Scene 7 5th September 2005 11:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks