Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 10:03   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,719
Thanked: 89,186 Times
Default Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

High Points

- Eicher handed over the first lot of 10 Rear Engine Semi Low Floor (RESLF) City Buses to the Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation.

- These City Buses have a Rear Engine and a low Floor height. Low Floor Buses, either with a one or two step entry, are easier to board and alight from.

- It was in the 2010 Auto Expo that Eicher showcased the first prototype of its Rear Engine Semi Low Floor City Bus.

- Eicher has launched another new model - the Eicher 11.12 - which is a 12 Ton GVW / 4650 MM Wheelbase Platform. It is an intermediate product powered by a four cylinder 95KW engine with seating capacity similar to a six cylinder vehicle. This vehicle is suited for deployment in the School, Staff, Tourist and even the Stage Carriage Segments.

Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus-flagging-off-gandhinagar-custom.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2011 at 10:04.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 11:40   #2
BHPian
 
wild child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: chennai
Posts: 174
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

wow, that's great news indeed.
Finally, Eicher has captured the city bus market as well.
watch out Tata and Leyland !
I belive Eicher trucks/buses are well known for the following
1.decent fuel consumption ( better than the others in the market )
2. competitive pricing
3. overall performace at par with the existing market players.
4. cheap maintenance
Good luck to Eicher!
cheers

Last edited by wild child : 7th October 2011 at 11:43. Reason: addition of points
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 13:53   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Looks like every manufacturer is joining the rear engine bus bandwagon. But this 95KW /115 HP engine is no match to the Tata Marcopolo buses. Also looks like Eicher will aim at the tier-II cities as the Tier-I is market for Volvo with whom they have a JV.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Does that read Ram Shyam?? Does not look nice on a STU. Secularism et al. (no - I am not anti-Modi, and am a Hindu).


Since Eicher is claimed to give better FE - yes; lower power and lesser cylinders on a 12 tonne GVW (when all 10 tonners provide 6 cylinders) is bound to give better FE. The price to pay would be slower vehicle, higher maintenance cost (higher wear and tear on over strained engines), shorter maintenance cycles, etc.

Since the JV between Volvo - Eicher has come up - does this vehicle use any inputs from that JV?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 8th October 2011 at 14:09.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 14:09   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Looks like every manufacturer is joining the rear engine bus bandwagon. But this 95KW /115 HP engine is no match to the Tata Marcopolo buses. Also looks like Eicher will aim at the tier-II cities as the Tier-I is market for Volvo with whom they have a JV.
But, the bus in question - the RESLF bus does NOT come with a 115hp engine. The engine was more powerful when it was showcased at Auto Expo - guess it was a 160/180hp engine.

The 115hp engine powers another product, not the RESLF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Eicher has launched another new model - the Eicher 11.12 - which is a 12 Ton GVW / 4650 MM Wheelbase Platform. It is an intermediate product powered by a four cylinder 95KW engine with seating capacity similar to a six cylinder vehicle. This vehicle is suited for deployment in the School, Staff, Tourist and even the Stage Carriage Segments.
On a side note: Eicher would not compete directly with Volvo - they are targeting different segments. Eicher is selling RESLF buses (both AC and Non-AC) while Volvo sells RE-ULE buses (AC alone). So, Eicher would be entering all markets, and not restricted to Tier-II.

Heard from a few sources that JnNURM Phase II is coming soon - looks like Eicher is waiting to hit a jackpot there.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 14:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,737
Thanked: 4,316 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Does that read Ram Shyam?? Does not look nice on a STU. Secularism et al.
It is "Ashram", a place in Amdavad.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 15:02   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KOCHI
Posts: 367
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Since Eicher is claimed to give better FE - yes; lower power and lesser cylinders on a 12 tonne GVW (when all 10 tonners provide 6 cylinders) is bound to give better FE. The price to pay would be slower vehicle, higher maintenance cost (higher wear and tear on over strained engines), shorter maintenance cycles, etc.

Since the JV between Volvo - Eicher has come up - does this vehicle use any inputs from that JV?
These days, no 10 tonners come with 6 cylinder engines here in India. The 12ton segment was revived recently by AL with its Ecomet1212, followed by SML and now Eicher has come. The subject new model Eicher11.12 would compete with AL Lynx it seems.

Meanwhile, in near future, we will find VECV's MDEP engines, developed jointly with Volvo, powering these RE buses and other Eicher trucks etc.


With the recent order for 400 bus chassis (Eicher 20.15) from APSRTC, and now this launch, Eicher is all set to make a re-entry in the STU segment across India.
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 17:25   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
With the recent order for 400 bus chassis (Eicher 20.15) from APSRTC, and now this launch, Eicher is all set to make a re-entry in the STU segment across India.
Eicher had made a disgraced exit from KeSRTC - reportedly due to spare parts availability issues. BMTC had taken Eichers - they still are running. Infact, they ride really well, and I had loved all my rides in them. Hope this time they get things right.

KeSRTC, when calling tenders for supply of chassis, had set a per-requisite of having supplied at least 2000 buses to an STU - guess this was to keep Eicher out of the race.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 21:44   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Good, as GSRTC needed them with utmost urgency. The older Ashok leyland buses were bought as chassis and build very cheaply. Twice it fell into the Gorge here at my place. The condition of bus was in a very sad state. It didn't look like a bus at all.

This monsoon, the accident was very serious and due to brake fail it fell into a deep gorge. 22 people died including many children.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 03:23   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

But why is Eicher entering a low volume Rear engine semi low floor product?
The highest volume in city bus segment is still the Front engine Semi Low Floor mastered by AL and now followed by TM.
Ideally they should have targeted that segment which will be easy for them to penetrate all STU's as Non AC Rear engine low floor is not preferred by many!

But keeping this apart, I sincere wish they come up with more products in a phased manner!
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 21:10   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
But why is Eicher entering a low volume Rear engine semi low floor product?
Because this is where margins and growth lies. AL had foreseen this market - but that was too early. SOmetime in early 1980s. (yes, AL had vestibules and RE buses back then).


Quote:
The highest volume in city bus segment is still the Front engine Semi Low Floor mastered by AL and now followed by TM.
???

FE SLF?? Is that a typo?? I think FE SLFs were airport tarmac only vehicles - since they were also front wheel drive?? Did I get it wrong?

Quote:
Ideally they should have targeted that segment which will be easy for them to penetrate all STU's as Non AC Rear engine low floor is not preferred by many!
Well ... the SLFs, both a/c and non-ac are a hit in KL. Partly due to their different routes. Mostly due to comfort and lower crowds. But they are crowded most of the time.

Quote:
But keeping this apart, I sincere wish they come up with more products in a phased manner!
The bus code is going to force small and disorganised body building shops out of business. With organised M/HCV body building poised to grow, price differential between "normal" FE-normal GC passenger vehicles and RE (non SLF) vehicles is going to narrow. The Difference between normal GC and S/LF will be further narrowed.

ALL, the innovator and pioneer of 1980s is for some reason lagging - esp in the premium segment (RE, SLF /ULE, with a/c). Hey, pull up your socks you guys!!!

The market is getting re-defined.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 21:38   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
FE SLF?? Is that a typo?? I think FE SLFs were airport tarmac only vehicles - since they were also front wheel drive?? Did I get it wrong?
Er! But I guess you are confusing a bit here - aren't the Airport Tarmac coaches "FE Low Floor" buses?? The FE SLFs are those supplied by AL/TML to various operators like MTC/TNSTC/BMTC/BEST/NMMT, etc for the JnNURM orders.

FE buses are prefered by STUs for the ease of maintenance and their low cost of acquisition. For some reason, RE buses are considered high on maintenance by STUs, and are not preferred in the volume segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Well ... the SLFs, both a/c and non-ac are a hit in KL. Partly due to their different routes. Mostly due to comfort and lower crowds. But they are crowded most of the time.
Are there any SLFs in Kerala? I haven't seen any. We have only the AC ULE, and the non-AC RE LF. The Non-AC buses supplied by Ashok Leyland are "Rear Engine Low Floor" buses and not "Semi-Low Floor buses". The AL RESLF buses are comfortable - but the drivers are not properly trained in using them. I've seen drivers raising the buses heavily to get them moving - while drivers who are also used to driving Volvos drive these buses with ease!

A known person working with KeSRTC was actually praising the RE-LFs, the only grouse he had was the poor quality of body.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 07:20   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
.
???
FE SLF?? Is that a typo?? I think FE SLFs were airport tarmac only vehicles - since they were also front wheel drive?? Did I get it wrong?
The true tarmac coaches are FE ULF - Ultra Low Floor!
These FE buses are preferred in tarmac application as they have the highest floor space compared to the similar RE bus.

But here in India RE SLF's are dominating - Indigo and Spice Jet are almost 100% RESLF (AL make)


Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
.... With organised M/HCV body building poised to grow, price differential between "normal" FE-normal GC passenger vehicles and RE (non SLF) vehicles is going to narrow. The Difference between normal GC and S/LF will be further narrowed. .
I understand you meant standard buses as Normal GC buses - E+3!
These buses will soon only be in history as already MORTH have defined the max floor height will be 900 mm. That's the reason JNnurm have also called for the tenders to supply buses only with max entry height of 900mm.

This other point of narrow price gap between FE SLF and RE LF is also unlikely to come as the RE bsues are always at a little premium over their FE counter parts and manufacturers unlikely to reduce the price.

Meanwhile this equation will change if some one develops a FE LF - (E+1) the price war may start. But such a product to my knowledge does not exists.

The other chance is that there are talks to reduce the 900 mm to 650mm by the same minsitry!

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st October 2011 at 20:19. Reason: fixed quotes
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 17:04   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

From Auto Expo 2010.

Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus-eicher1.jpg

Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus-eicher.jpg

Last edited by Ashley2 : 21st October 2011 at 17:12.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 18:25   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default Re: Eicher introduces a "rear engine semi low floor" Bus

I wonder when will BEST use proper low floor buses. I know they have "Cerita" but why not use Eicher/Volvo/AL/TM buses.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Eicher introduces 3 reefer trucks - Pro 1059XP, Pro 1100XP and Pro 6025 Aditya Commercial Vehicles 0 22nd December 2015 18:01
JBM starts testing Citylife low-floor bus Aditya Commercial Vehicles 6 16th June 2015 17:25
Eicher launches a 14.5 ton truck - The Eicher 11.14 GTO Commercial Vehicles 18 30th April 2012 17:51
Chain at the rear of the Tata Marcopolo low floor buses sfilinto Technical Stuff 10 29th October 2010 17:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks