Air-Suspension 26 68.42%
Semi-sleeper seats 21 55.26%
2x1 Seating format 11 28.95%
Bus ambience 30 78.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th October 2011, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default POLL: Your dealmaker for an Intercity Bus Trip

What are the things that you would consider before buying yourself a ticket on a Bus for an Inter-city trip

Would it be
  • Air-conditioning?
  • Air-suspension?
  • Semi-sleeper seats?
  • 2x1 seating?
  • Ambience of the Bus?
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 10:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: POLL: Your dealmaker for an Intercity Bus Trip

With the popularity of the Volvo; most sectors have B7R/B9R or Merc buses plying so it mostly boils down to a Volvo.

I prefer travelling with KSRTC in Karnataka; for quite a few reasons. Their booking is transparent and with KSRTC Awatar, it is very easy. The drivers are better as they are more accountable (for FE). And in case of breakdown, there's hope that some KSRTC bus (often the non a/c bumpy ones) will come and pick you up.

After reliability of the carrier ,the most imp. factor I consider while booking tickets is the pick and drop points.

Eg. I stopped travelling from Pune to Manipal on Canara Pinto/Vishal during college because the were all Mumbai-Mangalore services and the pick up point was Katraj for those boarding in Pune. Whereas, KSRTC had a dedicated Pune-Mangalore.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 11:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, in my case, my first priority would be a state government bus. This is followed by Air Conditioning. (I don't give much priority to Air Suspension - because these days suspension is getting stiffer and not much comfort is being provided by newer Air Suspension buses - purely a personal observation). A Volvo/Merc would be an icing on the cake. In case of STUs, I give priority to punctual arrival/depature as well.

If I need to take a private carrier, the following factors (in the order of priority) are taken into consideration: (I usually do not take non-AC buses of private operators)

1. Reputation of the operator
2. Type of bus (Volvo/Merc - regular/multi)
3. Age of the bus
4. Convenience of pick-up/drop points
5. Pricing
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 13:14   #4
BHPian

My choices:

1. Air conditioning - Must, if you have to survive summers in north-west part of country
2. Air suspension - Ride comfort is next in line, considering state of our roads.
3. Bus ambience - Not must, but nice to have if you want to make your journey pleasant.
kamboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 15:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

TheArun, factors like A/c & Air Suspension are almost a given these days, with the number of such busses. What becomes more important is the network of the operator - does he have sufficient buses, and enough on that route ?

But what I miss is the 2x1 seating. They were much more comfortable than the sleepers.

The points in you missed in your poll are:
1. sleeper vs Seater/semi-sleeper. (Semi-sleeper is a misnomer).
2. How much cargo does the bus have to carry (non-passenger load)
3. Age of fleet
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 15:56   #6
BHPian

I have been a regular traveller on intercity buses for about 20 odd years

My first priority will be arrival time esp when I am on a quick weekend trip. Most of the buses especially on Kochi - BLR was notorious in this regard esp if your alighting point is Kalasipalayam or Majestc. For the same reason although in another thread in this forum there is lot of criticism on Neeta between PNQ and BOM, my personal experience is that they more or less stick to time and with the frequencies they have , you more or less have a hop on hop off service.

Secondfor me is conveneince of boarding from the intermediate stops. Like Katraj or PNQ city makes a big difference, boarding Airavaths from Alwaye towards BLR had the same problem until recently when there was no boarding point at Aluva.

AC- it defnitely makes a difference esp on short trips, one of the reasons why KeSRTC volvos even in the shorter hops between Aluva and EKM is very popular. Even a EKM TRV hop on an AC bus would be hugely popular if run properly.

2X1 comes next especially if you are travelling alone.

Semisleeper - Not much use.
TKMCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 17:17   #7
BHPian

During my younger days, I used to travel a lot between Madurai and Madras (now Chennai) through KB Travels. Their punctuality, timing, cleanliness of the drivers and buses, air-suspensions (they were the first to put it on their vehicle and it commanded a premium) have all contributed for success and inclination towards bus travel.

Now of course, our priorities have changed and introduction of multi axles, volvo and other coaches with airconditioned facilities changed the concept of our travels. No more 500 kms travel is considered a long journey! In the near future may be a travel (say commute) between Mumbai to Bangalore may be possible in 10 hours by car and 14 hours by bus.
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 09:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The points in you missed in your poll are:
1. sleeper vs Seater/semi-sleeper. (Semi-sleeper is a misnomer).
Its not a misnomer!
The one with Calf support is called Semi sleeper and other is called Seater

Semi Sleeper
Name:  Semi sleeper.jpg
Views: 8836
Size:  9.8 KB

Seater
Name:  Seater.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  108.7 KB
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 09:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

The only deal maker for me will be non-availability of berth/seat in trains! But once that is decided, AC, reclining seats and ambience will be priorities.

Last edited by Gansan : 10th October 2011 at 09:55.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 09:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Its not a misnomer!
The one with Calf support is called Semi sleeper and other is called Seater
Exactly ! What you have shown here is the correct one. But if you go & check how many travels use the word semi-sleeper for a normal recliner, then the term actually becomes a misnomer.

The last time I remember travelling in a Semi-sleeper was in some Volvo's & also in the 2x1's. Today even Volvo's have regular Harita recliners.

Last edited by condor : 10th October 2011 at 10:12.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 10:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The last time I remember travelling in a Semi-sleeper was in some Volvo's & also in the 2x1's. Today even Volvo's have regular Harita recliners.
Not very sure of what you mean by "Regular Harita recliners", but Volvo buses certainly come with "Semi-Sleeper" seats. Seating is left to customers' choice and hence Govt buses usually come with regular seats while private operators prefer Semi-Sleeper seats (depending on routes).
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 11:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
What are the things that you would consider before buying yourself a ticket on a Bus for an Inter-city trip

Would it be
  • Air-conditioning?
  • Air-suspension?
  • Semi-sleeper seats?
  • 2x1 seating?
  • Ambiance of the Bus?
Apart from these points I would also check how these buses are maintained. I use to travel a lot between Pune to Goa and back by bus and preferred only Volvo's. But while choosing the operator I also considered the way they maintain their buses. For e.g. Neeta Volvo, I traveled in Neeta till their buses were in good shape, when they were not, I started traveling in Patel Travels and after that Konduskar Travels!!

I use to keep an watch on every bus stopping for dinner on the way to Goa. That way I got to know who is the new entrant and who's buses are new/well maintained . All Volvo's have similar interior setup as well as suspension and Ambiance, the only difference is the way they are maintained!!

If I'm not sure about which bus operator to choose for inter city travels, I would go for state travels Volvo.

Having said that I do prefer Volvo against Mercedes. I find it more comfortable on bad roads.

Last edited by HammerHead : 10th October 2011 at 11:27.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My priorities would be
  1. Safety record
  2. Ensuring its a Volvo/Merc
  3. Ensuring its maintained in perfect condition
  4. On-time arrival

Things like AC, vibration, air suspension/ambience are taken care of once you choose a good Volvo/Merc.

What exactly you mean by ambience? I do hate those video coaches that play crap & ruin your sleep

Last edited by Mpower : 11th October 2011 at 19:46.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

Lack of AC and air suspension are dealbreakers. By "ambience" I assume you mean a clean bus with well groomed staff, decent fellow passengers and no noisy vernacular movies on video

I hate travelling by bus, but these are things that make them relatively tolerable.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 09:48   #15
BHPian

I prefer only the Volvo's which are only 2x2. So all the options except "ambience" are expected to be functioning always.

When I book for volvo's, I look for the following:

1. Ambience: Clean, no mosquitos, air freshner, front curtains, etc...
2. Timings: Should depart and arrive on time (generally go by their previous records and feedback from friends) with only on break in the night.
3. Travel: Should be smooth, no rash driving and no hard braking.

After many years of travel between Bangalore to Belgaum, settled for two travels: First preference, Pai travels which meets all my criteria mentioned above, next is KSRTC Airawat.

Last edited by Selective : 12th October 2011 at 09:49.
Selective is offline   Reply With Quote