Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 11th October 2011, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting

KSRTC/BMTC in general is the best state transport corporation i have seen. They maintain their buses very well and i actually prefer them over some private operators. Coming to the city buses, i depend on these Volvo's for my Bangalore airport runs. In one of my trips from BIAS to Majestic the Volvo had individual touch screens (android based) behind each seat, with internet connectivity. I was amazed that they actually worked. The conductor said they were trying it out, and was not sure of the tech behind it (must be 3G).

Mysore also has quite a few Volvo's plying around and the buses seem full all the time.

The less said about Pune's public transport the better, although i have seen these Volvo's around Swargate. PMPL also has a few Merc city buses.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 11th October 2011 at 15:14.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:25   #17
BHPian

Default re: Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting

Being a regular user of Volvo services I can only say that this is probably the most forward thinking move ever made by Karnataka government. The TTMC bus shelters are really swanky (in comparison to the earlier bus stops) and maintained very well. Even the regular bus service has improved drastically. This is probably the only department where you feel good after paying taxes I have always used the BIAL buses for the airport transfers especially after I had a bad experience with Easycab driver dozing off at 80Kmph. I hope they increase the volvo's since there are more people in volvo's than the regular buses these days.

Namma Metro commute with Volvo feeder service. Bangalore awaits you!
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 16:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
These days the frequencies have increased, I see buses plying every 5-10 mins towards ITPL every morning but unfortunately same state of affairs exist
Yes the routes to IT hubs have Volvo buses at very high frequency especially to -

ITPL area - 500 series
Electronic City - 360/ 600 series
Bagmane Tech park - 201 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Coming to the city buses, i depend on these Volvo's for my Bangalore airport runs.
The airport service branded as 'Vayu Vajra' have been quite popular but more often than not the buses run near empty mostly To Airport direction.
Some of the measures that can be done to increase yeild IMO are -

a. Allow normal passengers to use the buses as regular service 'Vajra' at normal rates in the direction towards the airport
b. Have a transit hub near Hebbal where people from all parts of the city can come in other means of transport and board the bus (maybe even checkin included)
c. Have prominent display at bus stops on updates on estimated time of arrival of the next bus
d. Have more frequencies during peak air traffic durations (mornings and evenings)
e. Rationalize the fares (reduce) a bit so that it becomes affordable for more people from the same family to travel (it is economical to travel by taxi if there are 3 people)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I hope they increase the volvo's since there are more people in volvo's than the regular buses these days.
Yes there are a lot of people option for the Volvos in Blr. Maybe they just don't want to travel in any other ordinary service when they have paid for the Volvo monthly passes (on a lighter vein). Surely the beautiful red Volvos are carrying these hoardes of folks really well even when it is over loaded till the brim! Not seen many breakdowns at all unlike the a/c Marcopolos. Kudos Volvo!
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Another first for both Volvo and BMTC with the introduction of breath analyzers in the buses linked to the ignition of the bus engines. Read below from the extract-

Major revamping session for BMTC buses - IBN South - IBN Bangalore - ibnlive

The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) is seeking to implement a major policy change in its operations by phased introduction of alcohol breathalysers for its drivers. In a function on Monday, Transport Minister R Ashok inaugurated the policy which is being implemented on a trial basis in one of the buses.
The technology is built into the bus system and will require the driver to undergo a breathalyser test which will check for alcohol levels in his breath. “The driver will blow into the machine and if there is alcohol in his system, the machine will not start,” said SK Paramesh, director (technical) for BMTC.
The safeguards will ensure that the engine will not turn on and the steering wheel will remain locked. “The depot manager will ensure that every driver takes the test before signing the log sheet which will release the bus to him,” Paramesh added.

Also found an interesting document which contains information on Alcohol detection technologies around the world and Volvo's breath analyzer system - 'The Volvo Alcoguard' (read Pg 3) introduced in 2008 which is integrated into the vehicle's central electronics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PresentandFuture.pdf (891.1 KB, 536 views)
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 19:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

There are 2 kinds of intra-city Volvos run by BMTC;

1) the windows aren't tinted, the seats are stripped down versions that are found in the non-a/c buses and there's a rear video feed and music player. The engine noise inside the bus is heavily cut out.

2) the windows are tinted, the seats have a good cushioning and have an integrated headrest but no rear video feed and music player and the engine note can be heard very significantly inside the bus; it sound like a scooter.

Why is there such a difference?

Generally, 500BM and a few 335Es are type 2.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 19:39   #21
BHPian

The Volvos are a blessing in disguise for many people who can afford to pay a little more compared to the normal buses plying in bangalore. But the drivers of the BMTC Volvo buses need to be given some lessons on road etiquette/manners. They drive so rashly and overtake you from behind without even honking.
a*ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 20:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There are 2 kinds of intra-city Volvos run by BMTC;

1) the windows aren't tinted, the seats are stripped down versions that are found in the non-a/c buses and there's a rear video feed and music player. The engine noise inside the bus is heavily cut out.

2) the windows are tinted, the seats have a good cushioning and have an integrated headrest but no rear video feed and music player and the engine note can be heard very significantly inside the bus; it sound like a scooter.

Why is there such a difference?

Tinted? AFAIK, BMTC has not tinted its Volvos - but has Advertisements which give the tinted feel inside the bus.

Interestingly, the difference you see is the evolution of Volvo in India - the initial buses had amazing suspension (literally floats on the road) and had heavy noise insulation. The newer buses have really hard suspension and have poor noise insulation. Rear Video feed exists in all BMTC Volvos, but BMTC has not cared to maintain them - in the due course, the screens got damaged, and they were removed.

Same is the case with the music players - when they go dead, BMTC just decides to leave it as such.

Here is three different types of interiors in BMTC Volvos:
Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting-p1140963.jpg
This is the oldest of the lot - notice the fabric padded roof, adjustable hand-rests.

Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting-p1120281.jpg
This came later - high headrests. These seats are really comfortable.

Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting-p1160417.jpg
This is the interior of the current model. (The shape of the AC ducts have changed now).
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 20:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Tinted? AFAIK, BMTC has not tinted its Volvos - but has Advertisements which give the tinted feel inside the bus.
There is a very small no. of such buses, mostly 500BMs that have tinted windows. The engine note is very very diff. from a regular Volvo. The roof on these buses is diff. near the rear door too. Guess pictures would explain better.

There is no provision of video feed/music player at all actually. I think they provide good cushion seats in exchange for the feed/player.
Old 25th November 2011, 22:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guess pictures would explain better.
As it turned out to be, I got in to one such bus on my way back from office. Uploading pics to elaborate.

Notice the diff. in A/c vents and the diff. roof mount near the door area.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting-wp_000124.jpg  

Old 25th November 2011, 23:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Another first for both Volvo and BMTC with the introduction of breath analyzers in the buses linked to the ignition of the bus engines. Read below from the extract-

Major revamping session for BMTC buses - IBN South - IBN Bangalore - ibnlive

The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) is seeking to implement a major policy change in its operations by phased introduction of alcohol breathalysers for its drivers. In a function on Monday, Transport Minister R Ashok inaugurated the policy which is being implemented on a trial basis in one of the buses.
The technology is built into the bus system and will require the driver to undergo a breathalyser test which will check for alcohol levels in his breath. “The driver will blow into the machine and if there is alcohol in his system, the machine will not start,” said SK Paramesh, director (technical) for BMTC.
The safeguards will ensure that the engine will not turn on and the steering wheel will remain locked. “The depot manager will ensure that every driver takes the test before signing the log sheet which will release the bus to him,” Paramesh added.

Also found an interesting document which contains information on Alcohol detection technologies around the world and Volvo's breath analyzer system - 'The Volvo Alcoguard' (read Pg 3) introduced in 2008 which is integrated into the vehicle's central electronics.
Girish, all said and done, why these tests only for Volvo drivers ? Is the BMTC very particular about satisfying the informed IT public ? Why not for all buses, especially where the drivers are less paid and prone to such things ?

Quote:
We haven't even heard of these models here. All that we have seen are the B7R, 8400 and the 9400 (twin axle). What is the difference ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 23:24   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
We haven't even heard of these models here. All that we have seen are the B7R, 8400 and the 9400 (twin axle). What is the difference ?
The numbers quoted seem to be the bus route numbers.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 00:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The numbers quoted seem to be the bus route numbers.

Cheers!
allo allo, no sir, model number on their butts. Anyone will say that.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 05:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Generally, 500BM and a few 335Es are type 2.
I am not aware any where Volvo has indicated that their newer models are marked as type 1, type 2.. etc.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 09:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As it turned out to be, I got in to one such bus on my way back from office. Uploading pics to elaborate.

Notice the diff. in A/c vents and the diff. roof mount near the door area.
Ah! This is exactly the models I've posted earlier - Images 1 and 2!!!

From outside, this the difference:
Volvo City buses– redefined city commuting-p1380865.jpg

The one that you are talking about is the bus on the right. Notice the difference in the shape of the Airconditioning units on the roof. In the older models, the return air intake was two separate pieces, and the Aircon duct was very visible - the newer versions have a concealed duct and the air-intake grille is a single piece.

Point to be noted is that all these units were made by Denso (a few newer buses - JnNURM ones - have come with Carrier ACs).

Its not two type of Volvos in the city - just that the older ones still ride well and have better seats, compared to the stiff ride in the newer ones.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 00:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
All that we have seen are the B7R, 8400 and the 9400 (twin axle). What is the difference ?
The B7R is now known as 8400 (city buses) and 9400 (inter-city buses). The multi-axle one which you've mentioned as "twin axle" (I'm assuming so) is the B9R or 9400XL as it's known now.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote