Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 11th November 2011, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Default Exporting a mini bus body to Denmark?

Mods: Not sure where to post this, kindly move to relevant thread if required.

Guys, This is a specific requirement with my client in Denmark. They are in the making of a theme park and wish to replicate an Indian street. The basic requirement is a old mini bus body (without engine & chassis) which can be fitted into a 20 feet container (6.10 m long * 2.44 wide * 2.70 high). The customs in DK is no problem as long as no registration plates are present.

I have no idea about exporting, so need your advice on that as well. Please PM me any contacts who can help with this.

Last edited by LionX : 11th November 2011 at 14:49.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 14:51   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Help required to export a mini bus body to Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Mods: Not sure where to post this, kindly move to relevant thread if required.

Guys, This is a specific requirement with my client in Denmark. They are in the making of a theme park and wish to replicate an Indian street. The basic requirement is a old mini bus body (without engine & chassis) which can be fitted into a 20 feet container (6.10 m long * 2.44 wide * 2.70 high). The customs in DK is no problem as long as no registration plates are present.

I have no idea about exporting, so need your advice on that as well. Please PM me any contacts who can help with this.
I've never done this but wouldn't the engine just be treated as scrap? Your best bet would be to get in touch with a shipping agent but I don't think customs for a bus body would be that big a problem.
sharninder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 14:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help required to export a mini bus body to Denmark

If you are planning to do it yourself (your company) you may need an IE (Import Export) code and then do the necessary paper work for your shipment to be exported. Unless you are doing on a regular basis, it is better to outsource it to somebody like Safe Clearing and Forwarding Services Private Limited - Services
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 14:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I've never done this but wouldn't the engine just be treated as scrap? Your best bet would be to get in touch with a shipping agent but I don't think customs for a bus body would be that big a problem.
Yes, an engine would be treated as scrap, that is the reason why they need only the body.

How tough will it be to get an old mini bus body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
If you are planning to do it yourself (your company) you may need an IE (Import Export) code and then do the necessary paper work for your shipment to be exported. Unless you are doing on a regular basis, it is better to outsource it to somebody like Safe Clearing and Forwarding Services Private Limited - Services
Thank you, I don't plan to do it myself, was just helping my client to get a contact.

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2011 at 14:28. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 14:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Exporting a mini bus body to Denmark?

Dear LionX, on the customs / documentation front - just get in touch with a clearing agent at the port from where you plan to have the container exported.

I cannot recommend buying an old body and pulling out the chassis. The typical body is made up of 3 inch H sections placed across the chassis, and 1.5 - 2 inch MS angles / squares to form the body frame. If angles are used, it is "filled" with wood, and GI / aluminium sheets are hammered into the wood. If they use squares, they use rivets to hold the sheets, so, there is no wood.

The point is, without the chassis, the body can sag. I have seen some bodies being simply lifted off the chassis, and a new body built on the old chassis. But for export purposes, I am not very sure if doing this will bear the stresses and strains of a transportation.

For actual dimensions, I suggest you PM raj_5004; he actually owns a minibus on, IIRC, a lynx chassis. That bus is stationed @ Alleppey, so you can see the bus too, if you want. Alternately, simply visit either Fort Cochin or Aluva bus stand - there are quite a few of mini buses over there. (buses do not stay parked at other stands for too long). Do NOT go by dimensions on the RC book, unless you know that actual measurements were taken for registration.

I believe a few buses of the kind you want are runnign parallel services on outskirts of B'lore too.

Most tourist buses are on Eicher / Nissan chassis, and you may not like them. YOu are looking for buses on Tata 407 / 307 / AL chassis.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote