Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 19th September 2014, 07:51   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Comprehensive City / Call Taxi Review thread

There's a new screw up in the market by Ola Cabs. They have introduced Ola Mini in most of their service areas but without actually signing up as many cabs.

It is dirt cheap as well - Rs 10/km in Delhi (Ola sedan is 18/km and Meru is 23/km!!) and the rumors indicate that this is just to "undercut" Meru in the market.

What has happened as a result is that everyone is booking Ola Mini (drivers indicate ~80-90%), and Ola is upgrading them for free to Ola Sedan at its cost (ah, the joys of VC funds!!).

The drivers are only slightly irritated - they get some cash from the customers, and then wait till the end of the month to get the remaining money. Only in peak hours with bookings <2 hours do they refuse the free upgrade.

It is a pointless burn of cash since in the era of mobile apps, the customer has no stickiness and no loyalty.

In other news, the drivers ply on both networks. They ply under Ola in the morning, and during peak hours under Meru.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 15:47   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It is dirt cheap as well - Rs 10/km in Delhi (Ola sedan is 18/km and Meru is 23/km!!) and the rumors indicate that this is just to "undercut" Meru in the market.

What has happened as a result is that everyone is booking Ola Mini (drivers indicate ~80-90%), and Ola is upgrading them for free to Ola Sedan at its cost (ah, the joys of VC funds!!).
For Ola Mini, they have also added a Peak extra charge of Rs.50 for bookings between 7 - 10 am & 4 - 7 pm.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 19th September 2014 at 15:55. Reason: shortened the quoted post
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 18:49   #168
BHPian

Here is my experience of the new age call taxies in the past 3 weeks. I live in south Chennai / Thiruvanmiyur area.

Meru

Called them a couple times. Both times they came within 15-20 minutes. Cabs were clean, new and ride was good. Vehicles were a D'Zire and Xylo. Bit higher charges compared to Ola.

Ola

Used them two times. First time, paid the normal rates and the second time, 'Mini' option popped up in the App. Selected the 'Mini' option but regular D'Zire at normal rates was sent and didn't realise the difference until my wife reached the destination. My guess is that the App was updated to show 'Mini' option but there were no vehicles nor the rates adjusted unlike Phamilyman's case mentioned above. Vehicles were new and clean and reached my location in 15-20 minutes.

Uber

Had used them four times. Three were Innovas, one was a Honda City and weren't new but clean and well maintained. One driver complained that the Uber App doesn't show the nearby customers but those some distance away.

Rates are bit higher, vehicles came in 10-30 minutes and am yet to see their Uber X option.

Overall satisfied with the services ,drivers were all courteous and drove smoothly, keeping within speed limits.
vivriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:22   #169
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Poor experience with Meru

Had a very poor experience with Meru cabs.

I had booked a cab for Yeswantpur railway station @ 6:15 am the previous day.

The next day received an SMS and mail at 5:43 am with the cab details and contact number. Did not receive any calls from the cab driver so called him at 6:05 am. He did not pickup the phone twice , maybe he was sleeping . Called the Meru number but my call got disconnected twice.

Went outside my apartment complex and took an auto to the railway station. On the way at 6:29 am, received a call from another driver from Meru , saying that he would reach in 5 mins. Told him that I was already in an auto . Got another call from another Meru driver at 7:00 am , again told him that I'd taken an auto and don't need a cab. I have used Meru 4-5 times earlier , but this time they flopped completely.

Morale of the story : Keep at least 45 mins in hand to make alternative arrangements if you have a flight or train to catch. Taxi services in our country are far from reliable.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 22nd September 2014 at 17:30.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 17:20   #170
BHPian

Default Re: Poor experience with Meru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Had a very poor experience with Meru cabs.

I had booked a cab for Yeswantpur railway station @ 6:15 am the previous day.

The next day received an SMS and mail at 5:43 am with the cab details and contact number. Did not receive any calls from the cab driver so called him at 6:05 am. He did not pickup the phone twice , maybe he was sleeping . Called the Meru number but my call got disconnected twice.

Went outside my apartment complex and took an auto to the railway station. On the way at 6:29 am, received a call from another driver from Meru , saying that he would reach in 5 mins. Told him that I was already in an auto . Got another call from another Meru driver at 7:00 am , again told him that I'd taken an auto and don't need a cab. I have used Meru 4-5 times earlier , but this time they flopped completely.

Morale of the story : Keep at least 45 mins in hand to make alternative arrangements if you have a flight or train to catch. Taxi services in our country are far from reliable.

Incidents like these have happened with me umpteen times. I've always taken them to task via twitter or e-mail.
Nevertheless, for early morning trips, I'd advise you to go with Easy/Ola/Savaari, as they've proven to be more reliable on early morning or late night trips.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 16:25   #171
BHPian

Meru is overhyped. They are abusing their monopoly power at Hyderabad airport by charging 27 rs per km. Either they have cash rich VC funds backing them and/or deep pockets. I advise raising the issue of pathetic service on their FB page. It seems they read/reply to issuesand visibility by other customers/competitors is high.

I used Meru only once from Hyderabad airport to home while on official travel at unearthly overs. I didnt face any issues apart from their super expensive rates. But I feel they are not worth the exorbitant price.

Last edited by manduvindupondu : 6th October 2014 at 16:26. Reason: spell check
manduvindupondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 09:00   #172
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has any experience with "Clear Car Rental". Planning to use them for a Bombay Pune round trip.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 21:24   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Meru is overhyped. They are abusing their monopoly power at Hyderabad airport by charging 27 rs per km.
27 rs per km? An A/C mini bus is available in the market for rs25 per km. Is that the standard rate or is it only for the night travel. IIRC, the cabs charge more per km in the night than in the day.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 15:56   #174
Senior - BHPian

Ola Cabs seems to have a nice offer for Diwali - they have a "recharge Ola Money" option on their site, and there's a diwali offer where for any amount from rs.300 to rs.5000 if you load money into your ola account using credit or debit card / net banking, they will double it.

Quite useful when you're on a business trip and have to take cabs 3 or 4 times at least

http://www.olacabs.com/offers/diwali
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 16:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Anyone has any experience with "Clear Car Rental". Planning to use them for a Bombay Pune round trip.
They were decent except for the fact that they start their km count from the place where the driver starts & end it where the driver has to return to. My driver had already done 23.5 kms by the time he picked me up - so I called them and said this is too much - so they adjusted it to 15 + 15 = 30 kms. Overall, I did around 380 odd kms including this 30 kms & the cost came around 3800-3900 (+ Toll + Parking) & this was more or less the same I was charged by Meru Plus. I stopped using Meru Plus because their drivers whine too much about time etc.

Last edited by carboy : 18th October 2014 at 16:13.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 13:54   #176
Team-BHP Support

OLA cabs is now allowing customers to use its mobile app for booking kaali-peeli (black and yellow) taxis in Mumbai. At the moment, the service is available only in South Mumbai, but the company has plans to make it available to the entire city over the next 12 months. It intends to bring more than 20,000 kaali-peeli taxis on the mobile platform.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 17:03   #177
BHPian

Used Ola cabs today in Hyderabad for the first time.
Some glitches

1) The Ola app on android is highly unstable. It shuts down on its own, the GPS doesnt populate properly.
2) The discount coupon did not work
3) Many drivers refuse to honor the booking
4) The quality of the cabs can vary a lot from unhygienic to spic and span.
manduvindupondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 09:31   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Used Ola cabs today in Hyderabad for the first time.
Some glitches

1) The Ola app on android is highly unstable. It shuts down on its own, the GPS doesnt populate properly.
2) The discount coupon did not work
3) Many drivers refuse to honor the booking
4) The quality of the cabs can vary a lot from unhygienic to spic and span.
I have used Ola on a number of occasions here in Delhi and didn't face any such issues. App seems to work fine for me, also the coupon code worked great. In fact, once I paid only 4 bucks for an airport drop - a distance of roughly 10 kms from my place.

About drivers refusing booking, what exactly happened there? For me, the driver usually calls up 15 mins before pickup and I also get notified via SMS once he reaches the pickup address.

Do mail them your concerns, since they are still growing, I am hoping they would do something to turn around your poor experience.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 28th October 2014 at 09:32.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 10:12   #179
BHPian

In the Diwali week I had opportunity to use couple of CAB providers. Here are my reviews..

1. Uber - Unable to use as my home area in Mumbai is not covered.
2. Ola Cabs - Android app said no cabs nearby so never bothered to book with them.
3. Meru - Booked once and used a discount code in android app to get Rs. 150 off on my ride. Cab came pretty soon and got call from driver also pretty fast. Car was Mahindra Logan. Was ok spacious.
4. TabCabs - I see them a lot on Mumbai roads. Seems they have a huge fleet of cars. Most are Toyota Etios and some are SX4. We got Etios always. Very spacious cars. Service was also good. Would prefer Tabcabs more now.

Last edited by raksrules : 28th October 2014 at 10:14.
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 12:48   #180
BHPian

Default Comprehensive City / Call Taxi Review thread

I've been using taxi services almost every weekend in NCR for airport pickups & drops.

My experience has been as under:

Taxi for sure:

Good experience so far over 4-5 rides. No complaints.

Ola:

Satisfactory experience in all rides (around 10) including early morning pick ups, except following:

1) Pick up car comes late by 28 mins. I call the helpline who say the car is close by and I wait till car comes. Got charged for waiting time while the taxi came late. E-mail elicits no response.

2) I land at Delhi airport to find no message from Ola on car allocation. The call centre system puts the call in queue and nobody came online for 3 mins. Cancelled booking and took an Easycab and no taxi was available on Uber/TFS. Wrote to Ola and got a mail with a promise of call from concerned department. Nothing so far though a week has elapsed.

Have started making alternate bookings with TFS. Will try to exhaust my prepaid credit (an option I love) with Ola before I fully move on. Especially irked by their non responsiveness.

Last edited by bloodred : 28th October 2014 at 12:49.
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote