Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 28th March 2012, 15:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Comprehensive City / Call Taxi Review thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
And I am not aware of the reason behind this colour combination in License plate!

Attachment 899131
From the look of it in the picture, the number plate seems to be coloured in black board with yellow letterings. This scheme has been seen mostly used by car rental companies who provide self drive services such as Avis, Hertz,Carsonrent etc whose cars have such number plate colour schemes. Not sure if there is a RTO provision for such services. From Travel Time's website it looks like they offer cars on rent as well as self drive.

Edit: Get it that it was not self driven in this case but was wondering if they tried to replicate the colours like the others mentioned.

Last edited by girishglg : 28th March 2012 at 15:54.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 15:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
From the look of it in the picture, the number plate seems to be coloured in black board with yellow letterings. This scheme has been seen mostly used by car rental companies who provide self drive services such as Avis, Hertz,Carsonrent etc whose cars have such number plate colour schemes. Not sure if there is a RTO provision for such services. From Travel Time's website it looks like they offer cars on rent as well as self drive.
This is not a self driven car, infact all the taxi's I used were in the same colour scheme
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 16:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Meru Cabs / Mega cabs / Easy cabs

I had a 6 am flight to Thailand and wanted to book a cab for 4 am - no cabs available.

Tried calling the newly launched Tab Cabs - they could not book a cab for the next day since they have just launched operations in Mumbai. I could make any sense of this, so let it go.

I then called Cool Cabs on 42 000 000 and booked a cab. Minimum fare was 200 to the airport from Chandivali. I was promised an sms 30 minutes before pick up time. The sms was in my inbox at 0330 am with the cab number and driver details. The cab arrived at 0355 am. A CNG Hyundai Santro with no luggage space in the boot. Since we were travelling light - bags were loaded in the front.

Only downside - I felt the driver was drunk or he had too much gutka - was driving decent though. Asked him to open the window 3 minutes into the drive. Cab was better than the Meru ones.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 28th March 2012 at 16:32.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 16:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Meru Cabs / Mega cabs / Easy cabs

Tried calling the newly launched Tab Cabs - they could not book a cab for the next day since they have just launched operations in Mumbai. I could make any sense of this, so let it go.
services from Meru Cab have taken a nosedive in last couple of months. Not even once they were able to book a cab for me for Airport dropoff from Thane.

I recently started to use Tab Cab and so far the service is nice, except no advance booking until recently; however they did make an advance booking for me approx. two weeks ago when I had to travel to Fort from Thane, i called them up at approx. 12 AM for a 6 AM pickup and they confirmed the booking right then.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 16:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post

I recently started to use Tab Cab and so far the service is nice, except no advance booking until recently; however they did make an advance booking for me approx. two weeks ago when I had to travel to Fort from Thane, i called them up at approx. 12 AM for a 6 AM pickup and they confirmed the booking right then.
They don't for next day pick-ups. For same day ones they do.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 16:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Day before yesterday night - actually early morning 02.30AM, we were 6 and wanted to travel from Guduvancherry to Guindy, Chennai. With little hope we called Fast track asking for a Tavera.
I was promised about the availability of cab and will be there in 10 min. I could not believe and told if Tavera(since its rare to get instantly at odd location / odd time) is not available plz send two Indica's. But they confirmed the availability and as promised Tavera reached in ten mins.
Thanks to Fast track - It has not failed even once
But I still have a doubt about the billing procedure.
Old 28th March 2012, 17:42   #37
BHPian

Bangalore Airport Taxis (KSTDC / Meru / Easy Cabs)

I travel frequently to the airport (average once / twice a week) thanks to outstation work trips and for the onward, use the office designated cabs but for the return, rely on Airport cabs due to the unreliable flights.

Whilst all this while I believed the airport cabs to be fair in the billing, I have noted inconsistencies in recent times. I know most of us would not be using the cabs frequently and hence will not be sure of the exact amount to pay but given my frequent travel, this has become obvious

On most occasions, the cab alloted to me (first come first served) has been KSTDC and the average fare to my house on Sarjapur Road has been ~INR 970 (with the distance shown as 55 kms)

In the past 2-3 weeks, it so happened that the cab alloted to me has been Easy Cabs / Meru and surprisingly, on all these 4 occasions, the fare has been ~ INR 930 (~53 kms on the receipt).

All the cabs have taken the same route (Main road to Hebbal and ORR from there on) and now I am bewildered looking at the difference in fares... Whilst they cant tamper on the rate / km, the distance seem to be rigged... One off instance can be ignored but on 4/4 occasions, if the non KSTDC meters show a different fare, then it appears to be a case of meter-tampering !

And if KSTDC is really inflating distances on the meters then imagine the total amount overcharged by their fleet in a day - they are the largest cab operator in BIAL after Meru downsized their fleet and Easycabs not adding so much to their fleet

Has any one else faced such discrepancies?
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 18:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Here's the review of 2 cab services I've used in Bangalore :

1) Meru Cabs :

First of all, it is very difficult to find a cab; somehow, all of them are always booked. During evenings, friday/saturday/sunday nights and on festive seasons, you just cannot get a cab. You'll have to reserve one hours before.

Fares :

6am to midnight : Rs. 70 (first 4 kms) and Rs. 17.50/km thereafter.
Midnight to 6am : Rs 77 (first 4 kms) and Rs. 19.25/km thereafrer
Waiting charges : None for first 20mins and then Rs. 10/15min thereafter.
You pay for toll.

Fares have been increased very steeply of late.

Also, there is a convenience charge if you book a cab thru' the phone. No charge if you book one online.
Those rates are bad. Used Meru quite a bit last year for airport rides and even for rides home when going to parties and the rate always used to be 15 Rs. per km irrespective of the time.

I was always happy with their service and ays showed up at the promised time, if not a bit earlier. The morning drives to the airport had the guys going a bit quickly but told them once that was in no rush and things were peaceful after that. Reasonably safe drivers.

Use the online booking as they remember your home and office address. Also, then you do not pay that convenience fee of 50 rupees.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 18:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
On most occasions, the cab alloted to me (first come first served) has been KSTDC and the average fare to my house on Sarjapur Road has been ~INR 970 (with the distance shown as 55 kms)

In the past 2-3 weeks, it so happened that the cab alloted to me has been Easy Cabs / Meru and surprisingly, on all these 4 occasions, the fare has been ~ INR 930 (~53 kms on the receipt). ....
What are the cars used in them?
This could be the difference in the Speedo - input to electronic fare meter.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
What are the cars used in them?
This could be the difference in the Speedo - input to electronic fare meter.
All the KSTDC cabs I used were Logan / Verito... Both the Easy Cabs were Ikons while one Meru was a Logan and the 2nd an Indigo...

Can there be such differences in the input from Speedo to the meter, unless they are rigged?
Old 29th March 2012, 07:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
All the KSTDC cabs I used were Logan / Verito... Both the Easy Cabs were Ikons while one Meru was a Logan and the 2nd an Indigo...

Can there be such differences in the input from Speedo to the meter, unless they are rigged?
2 out of 53 translates to approximately 4 percent difference in the odo reading, which is not too bad all said and done. This sounds like odo difference rather than deliberate cheating though it has cost you money.
Old 29th March 2012, 09:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Speedo error cannot be ruled out. It can be there between manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
2 out of 53 translates to approximately 4 percent difference in the odo reading, which is not too bad all said and done. This sounds like odo difference rather than deliberate cheating though it has cost you money.
Quote:
The Speedo error cannot be ruled out. It can be there between manufacturer to manufacturer.
Hmmm.... Maybe its a speedo error... Maybe the difference is just 4% but then, if there are such differences when cabs are taken for long distance (say, Bangalore - Chennai return, ~800 kms), the difference is ~ 32 kms @ say INR 12/km is a cool 400 bucks charged extra !!!

Next time around, let me note down the readings as per the odo too and see if the same is reflected in the meter reading too - this will vindicate Ashley's point if thats the reason !
Old 29th March 2012, 10:03   #44
BHPian

Have used Cel cabs, Meru and Fast track extensively here in Bangalore. Found Cel cabs and Fast track to be ideal for intra-city trips and Meru more ideal for airport trips.
Cel cabs mostly has indigo taxis. Have used them a few times for early morning pick ups from City Railway station and they have always been very punctual.
I had a bad experience with Easy cabs once when just around 30 minutes before the scheduled pick up time, they sent an SMS informing about the non availability of the cab. Was lucky enough to get a confirmed Meru cab on the scheduled time!
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 10:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.... Maybe its a speedo error... Maybe the difference is just 4% but then, if there are such differences when cabs are taken for long distance (say, Bangalore - Chennai return, ~800 kms), the difference is ~ 32 kms @ say INR 12/km is a cool 400 bucks charged extra !!!

Next time around, let me note down the readings as per the odo too and see if the same is reflected in the meter reading too - this will vindicate Ashley's point if thats the reason !
I have absolutely no doubt that if the odo under reads by 5% every customer will be happy and if it over reads by 5% every cab driver/company will be happy.

Distance obviously magnifies the effect of that 5% differential too.

The problem is that the odo is running off wheel rotations so any modification in wheel size affects it. This is why it is next to impossible to get a perfect odo reading.