Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 29th January 2012, 16:33   #16
AKB
BHPian

Default re: Detailed comparison of the 'Indian Rickshaws'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKB View Post
The 3 Wheeler commercial (i.e. non-personal use) vehicles market has two major segments, viz. Passenger (Segment A) and the Goods Carrier (Segment B). The 3 Wheeler market is also divided on the basis of the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) into sub 1 Tonne (i.e. sub-segments A1 and B1) and larger than 1 Tonne but less than 1.5 Tonne three wheelers (i.e. sub-segments A2 and B2).

Thus three-wheelers market is divided into four sub-segments for the purpose of the analysis,

Segment A1 : Less than 1 T GVW Passenger Carrier. These three wheelers generally seat 3 passengers (plus 1 driver).
Segment A2: Less than 1.5 T but greater than 1 T GVW. These three wheelers are designed to seat maximum of 6 passengers (plus 1 driver)
Segment B1 : Less than 1 T Good Carrier
Segment B2: Less than 1.5 T but greater than 1 T Goods Carrier

The Segment A1 is composed of two sub-segments which are different from each other. Nearly half of the A1 segment is composed of the small size Petrol/CNG 3 wheelers from Bajaj and TVS King. The other half of the A1 is composed slightly bigger Diesel/CNG three wheelers from manufacturers like Piaggio, Atul Auto, Mahindra & Mahindra. The market dynamics, growth drivers and regulatory environment for both these sub-segments is very different from each other

2003 2009
Segment A1 (excluding Bajaj small 3W) 16,061 134,344
Segment A2 8,765 4,276
Segment B1 37,259 59,938
Segment B2 26,224 21,292

It is important to notice two trends in this market:

1. Smaller role of large 3W:

In passenger segment (i.e. A2) most city municipalities have banned the plying of large 3W in city limits. The goods category (i.e. B2) grew initially due to focus of M&M. But off late the TATA Ace and likes have taken away the sales of the B2 segment. What is interesting is that the demand for B2 segment i.e. the purpose that it fulfills is increasing due to adoption of the hub-spoke model in the Indian transportation industry. Thus less and less 9T MCV are being purshached and the mix is shifting towards large trucks between hub-to-hub and Ace ( and clones) in spokes.

2. Success of Piaggio:

The growth of A1 segment was nearly single handedly driven by Piaggio. It had a good reliable product and it met with good success. Till 2-3 years back i.e till 2008-09, most indian manufacturers were doing the catching up on A1. In the B 1 segment also, there has been good growth for reasons of hub-spoke model.

Today, most of the 3W manufacturers use the same engine. The chassis and the design, whcih were once stronghold of piaggio, have been copied by all. Today many smaller and regional players sell the replicas of piaggio at lesser price.

Also, the cities have not stopped giving permit for new passenger 3Ws. This is hurting their sales. New permits, whenever issued, are for CNG varriants only

Bajaj segment:

Bajaj small 3W had a monopoly in its segment as the volumes are nearly stagnant. Thus it did not make business sense for any other manufacturer to enter this segement as Bajaj would undercut on price and it already had the advantage of the smaller engines being present in its kitty. Other manufacturer would have to develop that engine and thus would have a higher break even volume.

However, TVS took the brave step and is doing really well. Auto wallah just love the change

Bajaj has done very well in this segment not just in India but it exports a large number of these to Africa (have seen them in Tanzania etc) and some smaller numbers to exotic countries too.

Thus 3W is a great industry to study and we can see impact of :

1. hub-and-spoke adoption
2. large 3W to Tata Ace (and clones) changes
3. impact and behavior of a permit driver industry ( all passenger 3W)
4. largely undifferentiated product ( same engine and now even similar designs)
5. entry of smaller/regional players

PS: I am not a 3W fan but had, in past, got a chance to understand the industry in detail. And was quite fascinated by the under currents in this often neglected industry. So wanted to share with the friends here and also hear the views on what lies ahead for this industry.
AKB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 16:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

The TVS king comes in petrol version too. Travelled in one for first time at Calicut, 2/3 years back. As pointed out, they are best in terms of suspension and NVH levels. But the owner / drivers claim the have technical problems (do not remember what).

IMHO, the diesel behemoths are used only because of the senseless difference between the prices of the two fuels.

Never knew that Piaggio has a petrol version. Thanks for pointing out.

Kerala used to have a 3 wheeler brand of its own - KAL - for Kerala Auto limited. I think a few of their old vehicles may be around.

And raj, you will be interested to know that quite a few of the 6/7 seaters are used in places like Chennai and Rishikesh as share autos. Once travelled from Rishikesh to Haridwar and back in 1993/94 on a rick. Costed me something between 15 and 20 INR back then. Share rick, of course.

Too bad KL does not have the system (except for "return" journeys in few places).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 10:50   #18
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2012 at 11:54.
mobius 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th January 2012, 11:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The TVS king comes in petrol version too.
Its not mentioned in the website.

Quote:
And raj, you will be interested to know that quite a few of the 6/7 seaters are used in places like Chennai and Rishikesh as share autos. Once travelled from Rishikesh to Haridwar and back in 1993/94 on a rick. Costed me something between 15 and 20 INR back then. Share rick, of course.
Yes, even Pune used to have this, mostly Mahindra Champions. Have sat in the driver's seat but not driven it...
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Default Re: Detailed comparison of the 'Indian Rickshaws'!

Nice thread.
TVS King petrol version comes 2 stroke and 4 stroke variants.
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 14:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
One from my native, these Lamby Rickshaw's are rather were very popular in the early 80's, you can still see a lot of them around.

PIC Source : The Indian Lambretta Guide
Ah, how well i remember these lamby ricks Infact there are a good number of them still running in my hometown, Ooty! Some amazing torque these ricks have! Some of them can put the newest Bajaj ricks to shame while puttering up steep incines like the Elk Hill slope in Ooty (Those of you familiar with Ooty will know the incline am talking about)
aadithsince1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 22:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Ah, how well i remember these lamby ricks Infact there are a good number of them still running in my hometown, Ooty! Some amazing torque these ricks have! Some of them can put the newest Bajaj ricks to shame while puttering up steep incines like the Elk Hill slope in Ooty (Those of you familiar with Ooty will know the incline am talking about)

Huh? Are you serious? I remember having the owner's manual for the Lamby Rick. We had to get them as chassis (in late 1960s), and build a body on top of the chassis. In KL, we used to have hard top bodies for lamby ricks, and canvas tops for KAL / Bajaj ricks.

Later on, when I stumbled upon specs for the Bajaj front engine and RE, I realised that lamby ricks has couple of HP less power than the Bajaj Front engine ones, which in turn, were 1.5 HP or so behind the RE engine. Sorry - do not remember the actual figures.

Edit:- also remember that the Lamby rick had a rated head lamp range of 7 feet. The measureents were in both M and ft.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th January 2012 at 22:15.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 09:04   #23
BHPian

I was searching for Bajaj Tempo (Now Force Motors) Minidor in this thread. Later, stumbled across this. Very surprised to see that it's pulled off from the market.
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 09:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Huh? Are you serious? I remember having the owner's manual for the Lamby Rick. We had to get them as chassis (in late 1960s), and build a body on top of the chassis. In KL, we used to have hard top bodies for lamby ricks, and canvas tops for KAL / Bajaj ricks.

Later on, when I stumbled upon specs for the Bajaj front engine and RE, I realised that lamby ricks has couple of HP less power than the Bajaj Front engine ones, which in turn, were 1.5 HP or so behind the RE engine. Sorry - do not remember the actual figures.

Edit:- also remember that the Lamby rick had a rated head lamp range of 7 feet. The measureents were in both M and ft.

Well, even I do not know the specific bhp output of the lamby ricks. It's just out of personal experience and having travelled n number of times in both, lamby and bajaj ricks, in Ooty that i came to the conclusion about the torque This is only in the hilly areas. Have no idea what would happen on a flat quarter mile drag strip though
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 01:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

check this out

WELCOME TO FORCE4x4.COM

Force Minidor

Force Motors - Three -Wheeler Goods Carrier Van and Three -Wheelers Goods Carrier Van Distributor & Exporter

i think, i think mahindra champion was a copy of the force minidor, somebody please add some info on the same.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 20:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
One from my native, these Lamby Rickshaw's are rather were very popular in the early 80's, you can still see a lot of them around.

PIC Source : The Indian Lambretta Guide
I recall these in Mangalore/Puttur from my childhood days.

My first impression at this auto with a "butt" was like
I had seen only flat bottom autos in bangalore till then and it was really something to think there could be an auto with such an obviously funny rear end

The other thing of course was that it made very low power and I would always worry when we got off a bus with heavy luggage all loaded into the back and coming up to a steep climb ( there was no shortage of that in Puttur) .. and the rick driver would put it into first and we would just ...... wait..till it cried hoarse and struggled up.
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 21:35   #27
BHPian

I had been to Sri Lanka last year, and it looked like any other place in South India, not just because of the similar culture but because of Bajaj 3W Autos. Bajaj is a big player there.

Bajaj has enjoyed the monopoly in this segment since ages, but as has been rightly pointed out TVS has dented some numbers. My experience with TVS King is that it seems to be more roomier than the Bajaj. Never been an admirer of the "ape", but they are like the "Vikrams" of yester years. Remember SCI Vikram (UP guys will remember).

But i hope these 3W are replaced with 4W soon. With that extra wheel, you can expect some sanity. Tata Ace Zip, Gio based Auto and others. But with a million 3W plying on roads, an early changeover seems difficult. Lets see.
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 07:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
..... My experience with TVS King is that it seems to be more roomier than the Bajaj. Never been an admirer of the "ape", but they are like the "Vikrams" of yester years. Remember SCI Vikram (UP guys will remember).....
Experience?
have you felt that there was a higher room.
I always thought its mostly same.
I wished it should have been slightly bigger and so that the same shell can be later on used for diesel. Diesel auto's for sure its used as a Share auto in many places and having more space will be a USP. Largest selling Ape's has very bad suspension and vibration issues, people prefer that as there is no alternative.

With diesel heart for King is still under development(they might source from China), we may wait to see how the shell is changed/ or the same.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 21:41   #29
BHPian

down south, there was (may be still is) a 'Greaves' autorickshaw. much roomier, noiser and bulkier than the rest. four people could sit comfortably on the rear seat. i remember these ricks charging extra as compared to the 'normal' ones.
handsofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 12:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
down south, there was (may be still is) a 'Greaves' autorickshaw. much roomier, noiser and bulkier than the rest. four people could sit comfortably on the rear seat. i remember these ricks charging extra as compared to the 'normal' ones.
They were called Greaves Garuda 300DG. It was bigger than the Bajaj RE, and had good torque. But it was very very noisy, and within no time, starts puffing out a lot of black smoke.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote