Hyundai Santro 1 0.92%
Tata Indica 14 12.84%
Tata Indigo 21 19.27%
Others please specify 5 4.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th February 2012, 20:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Your favourite hatch / sedan / MUV for a taxi

Among MUV's, for long distance travel, I would any prefer Innova/Tavera/Xylo in that order.
Among Hatchbacks, it would be Indica and among sedans it would be Verito/Indigo.

I believe Indica Vista and Indigo Manza are not available as Taxi, so is Verito??

I would not prefer Sumo for its body roll, Santro for its bumpy ride, DZire for lack of luggage space & shoulder room, Ritz again for lack of luggage space, WagonR for lack of shoulder space and bench like seats.

Fiesta Classic - I would love to travel long distance in this car but its hardly available as taxi.

Toyota Etios - No comments as I'm yet to travel in it. I believe it would be as good as Indigo Manza.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 20:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I believe Indica Vista and Indigo Manza are not available as Taxi, so is Verito??
They are very much available. In fact, in Kerala, the maximum number of Vista/Manza sold are yellow boards. Same applies to Verito.

Quote:
Fiesta Classic - I would love to travel long distance in this car but its hardly available as taxi.
An operator in Coimbatore runs a fleet of Fiesta Classics (IIRC, the operator's name is "Taxi Taxi").
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 20:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:

All three are available as taxis in Kerala. I'm sure both Vista and Manza are available as taxis at other states too, but you cannot buy a taxi Verito in all the states/cities(eg:- Chennai).
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 22:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted for:

Hatchback - Indica Vista for the sheer space and the possible associated low cost of Indica cabs.

Sedan - Verito followed by Indigo

First time i sat in the Verito was taken aback with the amount of space in it. Very comfortable and good boot to go with it.

MUV - Innova (I think there is no competition for it in this segment for long journeys )
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 06:07   #20
BHPian

In MUV segment, it has to be Innova. There are no competitor that can rival Innova's comfort on long drives.
In sedan segment, I would prefer either Verito/Logan or Etios.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 11:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Voted for
Tata Indica
Tata Indigo
Toyota Etios

All above offer great comfortable ride at both front/rear for long/short/city/airport runs in sedan/hatch category

Toyota Innova - undisputed people mover, superb comfort, space for a lot many people with good boot for long/short/city/airport runs. Next would be Xylo but has virtually no boot space for a Taxi unless rear seats are folded down.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 11:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

I'm 6'2" and 80 kgs. It's hard to make me feel completely comfortable in the back-seat of most cars, unless it's a Skoda Superb or maybe a Nissan Teana.

That said, a car that's frugal, comfortable and reliable would be the top priorities for cab-companies. And few cars in India have all those factors rolled into a package.

The base Nissan Sunny might be the perfect cab-car in India. The leg-room at the back is a factor that we simply can't ignore. And couple that with a frugal diesel engine and it should be a winner.

Nissan must attempt to broaden their service-network though. Or else, they'd be heading towards a dead-end, pretty much.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 17:08   #23
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Voted for:

MUV - Innova (I think there is no competition for it in this segment for long journeys )
I was driven to and from work in an Innova and a Xylo on the same route (70% highway, travel time of 3.30-4.00 hrs\day). Both cars had individual middle row seats. Im of average build and I consistently found that our Xylo provided better seating comfort, especially with the seat back reclined. From a driving perspective the Innova remains the benchmark. But considering this to be a poll aimed at the back-seater's my vote is with the Xylo in the 'Others' category.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 20:18   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
Voted for Other - had been an Innova fan but my pick today is the Xylo.
Agreed with the Xylo, as long as the speeds are <60 kph. Anything above and it's an absolute boat! The suspension is way too soft, resulting in excessive body roll & discomfort for passengers. It's extremely wallowy on the highway.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 22:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with the Xylo, as long as the speeds are <60 kph. Anything above and it's an absolute boat! The suspension is way too soft, resulting in excessive body roll & discomfort for passengers. It's extremely wallowy on the highway.
OK, I give up on that. No proof and no experience of >75 kph in Xylo. Yep, that's the speed limit in my mother's rule book of 'How to care for your kids'. Our instruction to the driver is not to let her catch him with the needle over 80.

I am getting my XUV this month end. Does anybody know how and whom to apply to for this niggle - 'Speedometer shows half the actual speed' ?
mkumar79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 20:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
OK, I give up on that. No proof and no experience of >75 kph in Xylo. Yep, that's the speed limit in my mother's rule book of 'How to care for your kids'. Our instruction to the driver is not to let her catch him with the needle over 80.

I am getting my XUV this month end. Does anybody know how and whom to apply to for this niggle - 'Speedometer shows half the actual speed' ?
My brother had an Opel Monza in South Africa with a digital speedo which showed 40 percent of the actual speed.

Once my bro had gone to my sis in laws place and they left the car there for a few days. My sis in law told her dad not to exceed 48 kmph and he looked at her funny (120 is the speed limit on the highways in SA). Only when he drove it did he understand.

I guess I can check if that car still exists and we can ship it to you

Honestly though, no idea how to do it
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 09:09   #27
BHPian

Voted for Innova, definitely the best MUV and is ruling the taxi market as well.

Cheers...venks
venks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 22:36   #28
BHPian

To me it's low price, space, efficient, boot space and relatively good reliability. so it's Etios, tata indica/go, verito, innova and xylo.
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 10:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiesta Classic - I would love to travel long distance in this car but its hardly available as taxi. .
Fast track in chennai has Fiesta on request!
Airport shuttle has Fiesta and can be taken.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 14:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

i go for verito(yet to travel in it) and indigo if its a sedan and
innova get 9.5/10 and Tavera 5/10 in MUVs,

I happen to travel in a brand new tavera from trichy to kumbakonam>Madurai>Trichy and found it very uncomfortable.in fact we were the first customer to board it and it had Koyas seats as well but still not comfortable

Innova get 9.5/10 because i dont want to see it as a cab when it is gem car and cant stand it being abused by cabbies (especially you must see the fasttrack call taxi in chennai)
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote