Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th November 2008, 18:37   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, Are there any operators using Mercedes or B9R buses for plying between Chennai and Bangalore?

I know several people who do this route often and I can get feedback from him.

Last edited by Mpower : 17th November 2008 at 22:10.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 20:26   #167
Senior - BHPian

I spotted Neeta Travel's B9R today. (I guess, the bus starts in morning around 11 am from Pune to Mumbai). The beast accelerates as effortlessly as my RX135 on the road.

My advice, don't try to overtake it till you are mentally prepared (And, unless you've got good enough engine under the hood). It can leave you surprised and caught up on wrong side.

Last edited by RX135 : 17th November 2008 at 20:28.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 10:43   #168
BHPian

Hi,

I had spotted one from Sharma Transport! You can check with them as I am not sure of which route does it ply on!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Gentlemen, Are there any operators using Mercedes or B9R buses for plying between Chennai and Bangalore?

I know several people who do this route often and I can get feedback from him.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 10:53   #169
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Atleast i havent see any battered KSRTC/BMTC Volvo's in use. No wonder its the only profit making PSU transport company in the country.
Actually saw another APSTRC Super-Luxury today on Old Madras Road. It was again in a bad shape.

I lived in Maharashtra for 18 years. Never looked at MSRTC with so much trust and dependency as we look at KSRTC services here. Only the Asiad was slightly dependable in MSRTC.
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 01:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
I lived in Maharashtra for 18 years. Never looked at MSRTC with so much trust and dependency as we look at KSRTC services here. Only the Asiad was slightly dependable in MSRTC.
Completely OT:
That is shocker at least for me Did you use them extensively?

Ever since my childhood, I have been using MSRTC and I find them extremely dependable and trustworthy. I very rarely found them not starting or reaching on time. Other than their exterior/interior appearance, MSRTC is better on all other counts than most private vehicles. (I find long route MSRTC buses much better maintained than private operators).

In fact, I know few friends/families who prefer MSRTC for its sheer reliability over private operators.

Last edited by RX135 : 19th November 2008 at 01:30.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 21:12   #171

I was on the extreme right, doing 90+ on my bullet when i saw suddenly the volvo B7R right behind me. He was honking, to make me give way. I was not going to do any of that on the busy highway and put my hand out asking him to take the left lane. Even before I knew what was happening, the bus driver switched lanes and raced ahead of me. What I learnt: don't mess with a B7R, ever. The Volvo guys showed me one of their early imports that was being run by Sharma Transport in Bangalore. That machine had already done 1.2 million km and was purring like a cat. Apparently, now, they have localised a lot of components (done some juggad to cut costs) and transport operators are complaining the buses aren't the same before. It is a formidable machine nonetheless.
bullet2555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 23:06   #172
Senior - BHPian

@ bullet2555: buddy, not to offend you, but in india, overtaking is done from right. when the volvo driver was honking, you should have given him way by moving to the left lane and its not good to ask him to overtake from the left lane.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 11:15   #173
BHPian

Thumbs down Make way for a Volvo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ bullet2555: buddy, not to offend you, but in india, overtaking is done from right. when the volvo driver was honking, you should have given him way by moving to the left lane and its not good to ask him to overtake from the left lane.
Yeah. How can you expect someone to overtake you from the left???

Whenever I travel by these low floor BMTC B7Rs I just wonder how these crazy 2-wheeler riders just don't give way to these giants. C'mon! What are they trying to prove? These Big Red Buses get behind these puny 2-wheelers and honk and flash lights, but this dude just keeps pottering away! Crazy!

Don't get me wrong. Nothing against 2-wheeler riders. When I am not in a BMTC, even I am on a bike!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 11:27   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet2555 View Post
I was on the extreme right, doing 90+ on my bullet when i saw suddenly the volvo B7R right behind me. He was honking, to make me give way. I was not going to do any of that on the busy highway and put my hand out asking him to take the left lane. Even before I knew what was happening, the bus driver switched lanes and raced ahead of me. What I learnt: don't mess with a B7R, ever. The Volvo guys showed me one of their early imports that was being run by Sharma Transport in Bangalore. That machine had already done 1.2 million km and was purring like a cat. Apparently, now, they have localised a lot of components (done some juggad to cut costs) and transport operators are complaining the buses aren't the same before. It is a formidable machine nonetheless.
Dude, aint the right lane meant for overtaking? The Volvo guy wanted to overtake you, and it was your duty to move to the left, and let the guy use the right lane (meant for overtaking)
My 2 cents
yamracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 11:22   #175
BHPian

Last weekend traveled to bangalore from chennai in Kallada travels. I preferred kallada as it started from very close where i stay in adayar. Since i only at 7 pm for the 9 30 pm bus i got the last seat. In volvo they say all seats are the same, but no, it aint. Initially there was a lot engine vibration on the floor. i was wearing only slippers, then i reached out for my bag and put on the woodlands shoes, that helped keeping the vibrations from the feet. But the girl sitting next to me was going thru a bad time. Then about 2 hrs into journey hot air started belowing from below. The whole journey was really uncomfortable and i slept for the whole day next day.
Archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 11:51   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Last weekend traveled to bangalore from chennai in Kallada travels. I preferred kallada as it started from very close where i stay in adayar. Since i only at 7 pm for the 9 30 pm bus i got the last seat. In volvo they say all seats are the same, but no, it aint. Initially there was a lot engine vibration on the floor. i was wearing only slippers, then i reached out for my bag and put on the woodlands shoes, that helped keeping the vibrations from the feet. But the girl sitting next to me was going thru a bad time. Then about 2 hrs into journey hot air started belowing from below. The whole journey was really uncomfortable and i slept for the whole day next day.
There are two Kalladas now, One is the normal Kallada and the other one is Kallada G4. The G4s are well maintained and better to travel in.
Which one did u travel in ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 12:08   #177
BHPian

I was wondering what happened to Raj Travels?? I can see two volvos standing at a place for an year unattended. This place is near TATA nagar, Bangalore.

Is that company bust?
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 12:28   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamracing View Post
Dude, aint the right lane meant for overtaking? The Volvo guy wanted to overtake you, and it was your duty to move to the left, and let the guy use the right lane (meant for overtaking)
My 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Yeah. How can you expect someone to overtake you from the left???

Whenever I travel by these low floor BMTC B7Rs I just wonder how these crazy 2-wheeler riders just don't give way to these giants. C'mon! What are they trying to prove? These Big Red Buses get behind these puny 2-wheelers and honk and flash lights, but this dude just keeps pottering away! Crazy!

Don't get me wrong. Nothing against 2-wheeler riders. When I am not in a BMTC, even I am on a bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet2555 View Post
I was on the extreme right, doing 90+ on my bullet when i saw suddenly the volvo B7R right behind me. He was honking, to make me give way. I was not going to do any of that on the busy highway and put my hand out asking him to take the left lane.
Dude... not cool. It's extremely inconsiderate to your fellow drivers if you refuse to yield the right-most (overtaking lane) and insist that they overtake you from the left.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 17:45   #179
BHPian

Yes I spotted a Raj travels bus , a Volvo , parked and covered with dust in one of the lanes near madiwala.
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 22:55   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Yes I spotted a Raj travels bus , a Volvo , parked and covered with dust in one of the lanes near madiwala.
Raj National Express is still active. May be they realized, they cannot make money with Volvos. Being a "national" operator and being part of a big corporate and with a foreign partner, they dont need an image boost, by running volvos, like the small operators do.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote