Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 14th June 2012, 11:43   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Ace - The Magic in the Indian CV Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Though, the one grouse I have is with the drivers of these - almost every one of them is on high-beam !
Spot on! They all seem to drive only with main beam. On top of it the lights are pretty powerful and cause significant discomfort to other drivers on the road.

The way they chuck their vehicles around is quite scary too. I usually give them a wide berth when I see one.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th June 2012 at 05:05. Reason: Fixed quotes
Pacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 14:05   #17
BHPian

I somehow knew that the Tata Ace drivers will gain more focus than the vehicle itself!
Well, Tata Ace has redefined its segment. No doubt about that.

But I pray to their owners to hire good drivers (not some rogues) and to please find some parking space before making a purchase!
Other than that things are fine.
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 15:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There is no denying the success the Ace has been here. But things would have been very different if the Jap auto-makers had not bothered about their brand-value getting diluted due to having CVs in their range and introduced their range of CVs here. In Japan, you see CVs from all makers plying on the roads - Honda, Suzuki, Mitsu etc and so wished we also could have access to them here for the quality/reliability that they would provide.
In the 1980s, 5 Japanese companies entered the Indian CV market through the JV route: Toyota (DCM-Toyota), Mazda (Swaraj-Mazda), Mitsubishi (Eicher-Mitsubishi), Nissan (Allwyn-Nissan) and Isuzu (HM-Isuzu). Yes, they offered better quality/reliability.

What was the result? In the LCV segment (which all these companies except Isuzu targetted), the combined sales of the 4 manufacturers put together was less than the sales of Tata 407 model that Tata created locally. Isuzu met the same fate in the MCV/HCV segment. All the 5 companies were forced to exit the Indian market due to their inability to master it.

So I wonder what makes you think "things would have been very different" if Ace were competing with Japanese micro CVs. If the Japanese micro CVs were to be introduced in the Indian market today, I'm quite sure Ace would do to them what Tata 407 did in the 80s and 90s.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 16:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^Since they did not enter the CV business, there is no way to conclusively say who would have done what to whom. Just because LCVs failed, does not mean CVs also should. Eg. there is another thread started yesterday which talks about MSIL displacing Tata from the 3rd place in utility segment with just the Ertiga. So there is no saying what can happen. And I hope you would agree that with competition like that, even if Ace was not decimated, it would surely not have enjoyed the supremacy it does today.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th June 2012 at 16:25.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 20:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Ace has come as a relief to replace the unsafe three/ five wheelers and the huge mini trucks. If the consignment is of a lesser quantity and volume the Ace is the best.
Similarly the Magic on 4 wheels may progressively replace all the unsafe three wheelers as a safer means of transport.
But the minuses for these are that these are sluggish movers on the road and have a huge pile up of followers behind them, the followers being the ones in faster vehicles who are not able to overtake the Aces and Magics.Especially if there is a road divider and /or any other such constriction on the road, the Aces and Magics sometimes create jams.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 00:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

The revolution started by Piaggio Ape was perfected by Tata Ace.

This, and the money circulation by NREGS has done a commendable job of the rural economy.

It is also heartening that most of the drivers of these vehicles are also the owners.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 13:49   #22
BHPian

There was a very interesting article on Forbes on the development of the ACE. I had also posted this in another thread on the ACE.

The Next People's Car - Forbes.com

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...2009-10-a.html

Tata did a commendable job with the basic ACE platform and its variants. However, in Bangalore at least I dont see too many Super Ace variants. Is that a flop or a deliberate strategy is at work?
prashanthyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 15:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
..However, in Bangalore at least I dont see too many Super Ace variants. Is that a flop or a deliberate strategy is at work?
Same here.. Though the Ace was a remarkable hit, Super Ace is not doing so good for Tata. It had few engine failures, mileage issues and most importantly pay load is still only 1T. Though we can load it higher, the performance gets still worser with higher load.

Now the leader in 1T+ segment is our "Mera Dost".
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 17:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
However, in Bangalore at least I dont see too many Super Ace variants. Is that a flop or a deliberate strategy is at work?
There is nothing deliberate. The fact is that they don't have a BS4 ready engine as yet. So they can't sell within the BS4 specified cities.
I came to know about this information during an inquiry at nearby TATA dealership. Also they had a waiting period of 2 months on super Ace.
ACE HT and ACE Zip were readily available.
Cheers!
coriollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 11:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
There is nothing deliberate. The fact is that they don't have a BS4 ready engine as yet. So they can't sell within the BS4 specified cities.
Non availability of BS IV has nothing to do with CV sales.
Hope you are aware that, none of the trucks(including other LCV, ICV and M&HCV)are BS IV- Ace, Dost are exception. The sales process is also not much complicated (including finance and registering) by buying a BS III and running in a BS IV city limits.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:46   #26
BHPian

An interesting article on the ACE -EV (electric vehicle) being sold in the UK.

Life in the Slow Lane:Living with the Tata 'Ace-EV' - Waste Mangagement World

Author says the vehicle was assembled in the UK! - not sure if it was assembled as a one of project in Tata's labs or there is an assembly plant in one of the JLR facilities.
prashanthyr is offline   Reply With Quote