Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 19:13   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Venture is positioned like the Omni - it can comfortably seat 6. Moreover, it's pricier than the 3-wheelers, at 4L+
I know it costs too much but is safer for driver, passengers and other road users. May be Tata can launch a de-tuned engine for the Venture and cut some OTR to get it fixed in for that 'Auto' segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I guess not. Nano is a monocoque, while Iris is a body-on-frame, AFAIK. It's more like the Ace and Super Ace
Shall check on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Nano is a proper car, designed for personal transport. At 2.5L+ and also a proper ECU controlled petrol motor which cannot be serviced by just about anyone
Oh ya! So the autos are serviced by the regular Joe on the road but the Nano being sophisticated for them, the servicing and troubleshooting could be an issue. But there can be done way out of we Indians want!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 20:20   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,986
Thanked: 1,402 Times
Default Re: Why are auto rickshaws not properly maintained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I know it costs too much but is safer for driver, passengers and other road users. May be Tata can launch a de-tuned engine for the Venture and cut some OTR to get it fixed in for that 'Auto' segment.
Don't you think you're asking for the moon?

Quote:
So the autos are serviced by the regular Joe on the road but the Nano being sophisticated for them, the servicing and troubleshooting could be an issue. But there can be done way out of we Indians want!
Autos are rarely serviced!!! I thought you knew it already!
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 20:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,310 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Don't you think you're asking for the moon?

Autos are rarely serviced!!! I thought you knew it already!
We dreamtoo reach the moon anyway and I know they are not serviced but some hope!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 11:42   #49
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,151
Thanked: 2,450 Times
Default Re: Why are auto rickshaws not properly maintained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

Nano is a proper car, designed for personal transport. At 2.5L+ and also a proper ECU controlled petrol motor which cannot be serviced by just about anyone, it won't be a good replacement for the 3-wheelers which sell because of the simplicity in design. Whereas, the Magic Iris sells for maybe 20-30 grands more than a Bajaj RE 3-wheeler, runs on diesel/CNG, and has an IDI engine with lesser electronics, thereby keeping it simple, just like the rickety auto-rickshaws
Nope don't agree to a fair bit of this:

The Base model Nano is less than Rs. 1.5L OTR not 2.5L+ and is cheaper than the Bajaj Auto Rickshaw infact OTR. Its parts are real cheap and it can indeed be repaired by any local garage while it needs to be said that TATA original spares are not really to expensive either.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 16:02   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Why are auto rickshaws not properly maintained?

The problem of auto's not maintained properly is not in all areas. In Chennai, auto rates earlier were considerably higher and that lead to better maintained auto's. Infact many drivers spend considerable amount of money for custom painting, chrome finish tail pipe, mud guard, bumpers etc, interior rexin and seat modifications etc. This cost them anywhere between 25000 to 40000 depending upon their taste and level of modifications. Having spoken to many of them, they are very proud about their auto's and become very interactive once you start to speak about them. But now post implementation of meter, any are feeling that they may not have enough money to spend on decoration.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 16:09   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,933
Thanked: 1,155 Times
Default Re: Why are auto rickshaws not properly maintained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
The problem of auto's not maintained properly is not in all areas. In Chennai, auto rates earlier were considerably higher and that lead to better maintained auto's. Infact many drivers spend considerable amount of money for custom painting, chrome finish tail pipe, mud guard, bumpers etc, interior rexin and seat modifications etc. This cost them anywhere between 25000 to 40000 depending upon their taste and level of modifications. Having spoken to many of them, they are very proud about their auto's and become very interactive once you start to speak about them. But now post implementation of meter, any are feeling that they may not have enough money to spend on decoration.
I would like to bring out one important aspect. Most of the autos are owned by cops and rented out on hire. For them collection at the end of the day is all that matters. That being the case i dont think the drivers will be worried about the maintenance. After all it is not their own property.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 17:43   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Why are auto rickshaws not properly maintained?

Kindly rephrase the statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
....Most of the autos are owned by cops and rented out on hire. .....
This is not true (most of the auto's). I am using auto's regularly and do have contact with many auto drivers. What you are saying is true, but its only small percentage and that includes rental auto's run by others. Normally daily rent is between 250 to 300 and the rest earned will be retained by driver. Minor repairs, accident repairs, will be handled by drivers, where as FC, Insurance, permit charges rest with owners.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why aren't car fires properly probed in India? tj123 Street Experiences 2 10th June 2014 01:52
Accord 2.4 not starting properly rohanGT Technical Stuff 10 19th September 2009 20:45
palio 1.2: starter not working properly... amitverma Technical Stuff 14 3rd April 2005 00:34
Bajaj scooters and Auto-rickshaws are in USA Neel The International Automotive Scene 10 7th February 2005 19:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks