Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 18th March 2013, 09:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
3. Do I see a reverse camera housing at the top in the 3rd pic? If true, that's a segment first, innit?

If I was in the transport business, I'm queueing up for one these! In fact my USP on the ads and ticket will be, "Scania Metrolink AC". Looks like SRM are the first testers.
Reversing camera has been offered by Volvo and Merc as options for a long time. The first customer is KPN followed by Kallada (confirmed by the owners).
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 17:04   #17
BHPian

Default Re: PICS : The Scania Metrolink Bus

The seats seem to be standard ones from Harita Seating. These were also used by body builder 'Prakash' in some AshokLeyland omni buses.

I recently traveled in a bus fitted with these seats. Doesn't feel very comfortable.
viggienomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 17:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
The seats seem to be standard ones from Harita Seating. These were also used by body builder 'Prakash' in some AshokLeyland omni buses.
Harita is the standard seat supplier to Volvo, Mercedes, and most other bus/body makers in south India today.

They make seats of all kinds and specifications and it depends on the type of seat chosen by the body builder/OEM that defines the comfort and the luxury of the seat.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 17:42   #19
BHPian

PLEASE NOTE: the multi-quote option was not working and hence has to individually answer without being able to quote. Moderators/Support members, please don't ban me for doung this. The option did not show up. @All fellow members: Apologies for the inconvenience in reading my post.

@Jimmyjosek: I was expecting your call Sir! You said you'll give me a call/message when the unvieling event begins.
The bus really stands apart and I for one would travel in one just because of the muscular presence that the bus has over some of its now mundane looking arch rivals like the Mercedes Benz O 500 R / RF 1830 and the Volvo 9400 / B9R *multi axle buses.
@a4anurag: Sir, the lock/unlock button below the steering wheel is a release mechanism for adjusting the reach/rake of the steering wheel.
@n.devdath: Scania is known for its powerful and torquey trucks. It is also a brand synonymous with ergonomically stress free cabins/controls for the driver and passengers.
aveoman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 19:11   #20
BHPian

news around CMBT is that the Scania is already booked by one of the well reputed travels, not sure if its true though.
any idea on the pricing ?
TwinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 19:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinHead View Post
news around CMBT is that the Scania is already booked by one of the well reputed travels, not sure if its true though.
BHPian Binai has mentioned elsewhere that already KPN and Kallada have booked few buses.
v1kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 23:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Warm welcome to Scania. They are one of the best in bus travels and no segment should have a monopoly. I think our in house bus expert too has a thread on the same here.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:46   #23
BHPian

Missed to catch a glimpse of this beauty at CMBT. Awaiting to travel when this coach is open for passengers.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinHead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
BHPian Binai has mentioned elsewhere that already KPN and Kallada have booked few buses.
You could see them with KPN and Parveen badges. But this is unlikely to happen before this summer. And these coaches will not be offered and it wil be from next lot . Scania will be importing them from Malaysia and will assemble them at Bangalore. As of now order books are already heavy for Scania (2 digit order from Neeta?) and yes in deed it has received a very warm welcome.

But why Scania?
With Volvo cementing its position in India, the look out for options has happened for the second time in less than 5 years. In 2008 when Mercedes Benz came, it has got the same / in fact higher reception than this. Unfortunately Merc did not live upto the expectation and completely toppled its brand in India.

But in my view Scania should have learnt a lot from Merc's sad story and will be proactive indeed. With a service centre already established in Chennai this is really promising.

Why customers are willing to try other brand is because of the high cost normally associated with Volvo. Though it earns good, it equally gulps. Mercedes though was cheap (compared to Volvo) to maintain, due to various other aspects it failed. So as of now, the Intercity segment is heated again with Scania.

But I will be interested to see the performance of the 12m variant with 5 cylinder diesel engine. Odd number cylinder engine is very rare in commercial vehicles, but Scania has this engine for trucks as well. This engine is available in two different capacity 8.9l and 9.3l from 230hp to 360 hp. The capacity is almost equal to 6 cylinder engine and this will be the first 5 cylinder diesel engine in India.
Ashley2 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 22:16   #25

Saw these bus in Koramangala,Bangalore yesterday night.
They are very quite and looks impressive.
mzoheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 23:44   #26
BANNED

Except for VDL /Setra I do not see any other bus really making a mark as much as VOLVO in the next few years in India . ISUZU might also catch up with a 12m or a 14m in the next few years
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 11:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Except for VDL /Setra I do not see any other bus really making a mark as much as VOLVO in the next few years in India . ISUZU might also catch up with a 12m or a 14m in the next few years
Isuzu is unlikely to catch up - the operators who bought them have burnt their fingers royally and are really not looking forward to even think of buying new Isuzu buses anymore. The service support was absolutely horrible - they took an average of 10 days to ship even simple parts. There are cases where buses remained off road for upto a month for want of spare parts. If you've noticed, the number of Isuzu buses operating on the roads have been on the steady decline over the period.

I really see Scania making a mark - they've been able to get more opening orders than Mercedes did. There are over 22 confirmed orders from TN and Kerala itself - I still haven't got a picture of the remaining states.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 12:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

The buses look very good and comfortable with their seats. Interesting to note that both the buses had temp Karnataka Registration Numbers, would it mean that Scania has a plant in KA or just a case where the dealer is based out of KA?

Any inclinations on the cost of these.

How would these compete with the Volvo Multi Axle Buses?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 18:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
The buses look very good and comfortable with their seats. Interesting to note that both the buses had temp Karnataka Registration Numbers, would it mean that Scania has a plant in KA or just a case where the dealer is based out of KA?
The Scania plant is coming up at Narasapura, on the outskirts of Bangalore on the Bangalore-Chittoor highway. The plant is expected to be commissioned partly in June this year.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 14:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Spotted these Scania busses , two of them, entering into KSRTC head office on double road. Looks like they will be using these buses for trial runs before considering buying them. Question is, on what routes will they ply these?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote