Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 7th October 2013, 13:48   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?

Ashok Leyland Stile launched at INR 7.49 lakhs(ex-Showroom, New Delhi).

Stile will be available in three variants, all of them featuring power steering and air conditioning as standard. Powering the Stile would the same 1.5-liter Renault-sourced K9K diesel engine, albeit in a lower state of tune. Where the Evalia offers 84.8bhp and 200Nm of torque, the Stile produces 75bhp and 185Nm of torque.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/a...launched-99453

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th October 2013 at 13:50.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 16:46   #47
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ashok Leyland Stile launched at INR 7.49 lakhs(ex-Showroom, New Delhi).

Stile will be available in three variants, all of them featuring power steering and air conditioning as standard.
The website has been updated now with the variants and features, but price is not shown yet. Media outlets are reporting that prices start from Rs. 7.49 lacs.

AL have managed to get the price down by using a detuned engine (I also think they may have done away with the intercooler) and by not offering ABS and airbags on ANY variant.

Still, the variants are quite well equipped in terms of comfort and convenience features. Captain seats are optional on the LS and LX variants, as are 15" alloys with 185-section radial tubeless tyres.

Fleet favourites such as Innova, Tavera, Xylo and the recently launched Enjoy better watch out - there is a new kid on the block from Ashok Leyland-Nissan; it's well built, well equipped for the price, bound to offer great reliability and it's incredibly fuel efficient (according to ARAI figures).

I think we have a new darling of the fleet operators here. Well done, Ashok Leyland and Nissan!

Ashok_Leyland_Stile_E-Brochure.pdf

I hope Ashok Leyland begin to start sharing sales figures of the Stile from the next month onwards. I'd like to watch the market response to this Evalia sibling.

Last edited by RSR : 7th October 2013 at 17:11. Reason: Including brochure
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:19   #48
BHPian

This is good news! With more companies venturing into Light motor vehicles' segment a customer will have many options to choose from. Given that this particular segment now is somewhat ruled by MS Ertiga, if the price is aggressive enough i think this will be a great buy. Now given AL's reputation in india, I'm sure the cars will have no problems with spares and service.
Newer vehicles, new technologies!
LOL_FWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a pretty good effort on the part of Leyland-Nissan.

I doubt private owners will want a Ashok Leyland in their parking spot, but for fleet owners, its definitely a vehicle worth taking a look at. I hope Leyland-Nissan market it well enough.

One thing odd though, is the minimal differentiation between the LS and LX variants. The LX variants gains only three things extra: Silver-finish central console, body coloured ORVMs and fabric seat covers. It seems a bit too less. They should have made captain seats and 185 section tyres+alloys as standard on this variant.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
(I also think they may have done away with the intercooler) and by not offering ABS and airbags on ANY variant.
The spec-sheet says it's got a Turbo-Intercooled engine. So, it does have an intercooler. The lack of ABS and airbags is obviously a step backward when it comes to safety, but the target audience, ie., taxi operators care two hoots about them, hence justified.

It's high time the CMVR mandates at least ABS as a necessary feature and not something to brag about only in the higher variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The LX variants gains only three things extra: Silver-finish central console, body coloured ORVMs and fabric seat covers. It seems a bit too less. They should have made captain seats and 185 section tyres+alloys as standard on this variant.
+1. I would add Aux/fog lamps also to the list of must-haves in the top variant.

Last edited by silversteed : 7th October 2013 at 17:42.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:44   #51
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The spec-sheet says it's got a Turbo-Intercooled engine. So, it does have an intercooler.
Oh yes, the tech specs do mention it. I didn't notice it earlier. All the better, since the engine merely runs a different state of tune, a tuning box should enable the Stile to match the Evalia's output, or even better it.
Old 7th October 2013, 19:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

MSD in new style with Stile.

Ashok Leyland's take on the Evalia = Stile to launch late 2013?-dsc_1787.jpg
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 21:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The lack of ABS and airbags is obviously a step backward when it comes to safety, but the target audience, ie., taxi operators care two hoots about them, hence justified.

It's high time the CMVR mandates at least ABS as a necessary feature and not something to brag about only in the higher variants
All the manufactures should provide ABS and Airbags for all the vehicles irrespective of the segment they are targeting. taxi drivers are the one who are on road all the time compared to others and they too have a life, so they should not compromise on safety for taxi segments.

The CMVR should mandate ABS and Airbags for all vechicles.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:47   #54
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

The launch of the Ashok Leyland Stile should also benefit buyers of the Nissan Evalia. Nissan's dealership network is quite thin and concentrated in cities. There is also the fact that the ownership/after-sales experience at many dealers is below par, mainly because of the disconnect between the customers and the company, due to the presence of a middleman called Hover.

Evalia customers can benefit from Ashok Leyland's wider network that is concentrated in the suburbs and in smaller cities/towns. One may not be able to get the Nissan Evalia serviced through Ashok Leyland's small commercial vehicle service centres. But one can make full use of the Leyparts original spare parts network, as almost all parts are the same on the Evalia/Stile.

Come to think of it, the Leyparts network can actually benefit not just Evalia owners indirectly, but those who own different cars from Nissan, Renault and also the erstwhile Mahindra-Renault JV. Want a filter or a diesel engine part for a Nissan Micra/Sunny/Evalia/Terrano or a Renault Pulse/Scala/Duster/Fluence or a Logan/Verito/Vibe? Just walk into the nearest Leyparts authorised outlet and walk out with the required original parts! Badge-engineering surely has its benefits and the Indian market will slowly warm up to it.

Last edited by RSR : 8th October 2013 at 11:50.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 11:51   #55
BHPian

By pricing Stile well under Evalia, ALL has taken the right first step. Hope the brand value of ALL (in commercial space) and its fledgling domestic service network bring in more sales. For a company struggling on the CV space, I expect Stile to bring in some top-line growth. In the long run, ALL should look to assembling STile locally driving better margins; and then set it eyes to take on Tata and M&M. This could be just wishful thinking, but with ALL's reputation on reliability and service network, it's high time they step up the accelerator and make themselves a force to reckon with on the wider automobile forum.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note: The Stile's Official Review has been uploaded at this link (Ashok Leyland Stile : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The launch of the Ashok Leyland Stile should also benefit buyers of the Nissan Evalia.
Evalia customers can benefit from Ashok Leyland's wider network that is concentrated in the suburbs and in smaller cities/towns.
I dont think ALL's dealer network for the light vehicles is very large. They have just over a hundred dealerships as per my knowledge. They have none in the eastern states, and a large percentage of those dealers are concentrated in the 4 southern states.

Though I agree it may be better than Nissan's network.

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2013 at 10:54. Reason: Link to official review
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread