Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 28th April 2013, 14:48   #1

Default SCOOP Pics: Ashok Leyland testing Ecomet Trucks

24 April....a day trip to Chennai from Pondy(where i am based now) to check out a classic car of got me a preview to Ash-ley's next weapon. Although i am sure a lot of bhpians had anticipated this or has seen this possibly but somewhere a thought in my head about the 'Forgotten' Pondicherry Vintage Car Rally of January gave me the onus to post this one.On my way back from Chennai on the ECR at this restaurant point called"pepinos" saw two heavily camouflaged trucks, boy!! it was going to be a privilige to post this .

So over the years of reading about people who got into arguments,roughing and someother cases decide it has to be done very discreetly, as lack of very fluent tamil, a foreign place and atleast 8-10 staff on the truck would definately corner me harder than i can manage.Although after the first point of seeing the trucks at the place before Mamalapuram wanted me to get some pics as i thought these were exclusive Nissan badged trucks(had forgotten about the Ash-Ley connection), as well had met some Renault-Nissan staff at my restaurant. About an hour later saw the trucks parked at a roadside inn(my sisters Platina could not do justice, to the sheer speed of the trucks).This time i saw a tuck with a 'Bharat Benz" paintd on the rear.

This got me a wee bit confused "What was B-Benz doing testing camouflaged trucks in a zone so far away from it own and why did their trucks look so similar to the Nissan UD trucks that are sold in the Middle east(the fear of confrontation of the staff and a great revealing moment can get one so confused!!!).Then a closer look revealed that the benz was a registered truck of exactly the same dimensions as the UD's(or so i assume) which were not.This time there were 4 trucks-3 camouflaged and one in plain white!.Some more inspection revealed a Leyland stamping on the fuel tank.Would have loved to do some snooping but the presence of my wife,an unknown land, too many opponents and a poor getaway bike(i missed my bullet!)made me get going on my path. Some pics below

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2013 at 13:25. Reason: Adding Paragraph spacing for better readability. Thanks for sharing!
chef-de-jeep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 20:16   #2
BHPian

Default re: SCOOP Pics: Ashok Leyland testing Ecomet Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-de-jeep View Post
"What was B-Benz doing testing camouflaged trucks in a zone so far away from it own

They do have a plant not so far away
http://www.bharatbenz.com/contact

And our very own thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...t-chennai.html

I think the pics that you took dint load!
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 22:05   #3

Thanks YaeJay, did both of them. the pics i guess should be up this time and i guess i overlooked the plant location near chennai
Regards
savio
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics: Ashok Leyland testing Ecomet Trucks-20130424_12.19.44.jpg  

SCOOP Pics: Ashok Leyland testing Ecomet Trucks-20130424_14.10.29.jpg  

SCOOP Pics: Ashok Leyland testing Ecomet Trucks-20130424_14.10.34.jpg  

SCOOP Pics: Ashok Leyland testing Ecomet Trucks-savio.jpg  

chef-de-jeep is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 08:00   #4
BHPian

These are the new version of soon to be launched Ecomet trucks from Ashok Leyland. There are coming with AVIA cabs and other improvements in drivetrain. The ICV segment is becoming hotter!
Transsenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 09:17   #5
BHPian

What i can learn from the picture is Metal Bumper with Exposed FUPD.
Leymama is offline   Reply With Quote