Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th June 2013, 17:25   #16
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Bajaj RE 'Compact' Autorickshaws range launched in India

Coming back to the RE 'Compact' launch, not very sure if there is any major difference between the present range and this one. Seems that this is a direct reaction to the Piaggio Ape City launch.

Piaggio has launched its Ape City autos which actually apes the Bajaj and TVS rikshaws in terms of curvy front design and similar dimensions. At first thought that it was a mod job from behind especially those tail light cluster aka Indicab but then the big embossed Piaggio stamping on the tail gate cleared it.

Coursey Piaggio site-
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 18:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

We are digressing. Lets stay focused on the topic RE 'Compact'.
I would've liked to see some safety additions that prevent these from toppling so easily. More comfort and ingress/egress for passengers

Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I agree two-stroke engines vehicles cannot be sold at times , due to emission control issues.

Its just that 2-stroke engines dont meet the
At what times?
For all practical purposes, its the same thing as banning. Besides you said something about market forces?

Originally Posted by julupani View Post
But the death of two-stroke two wheelers had started long before strict emission norms dealt a major blow to them. Like I mentioned previously, low fuel efficiency compared to 4-strokers was the major cause of their death.
Not so!

Hero Honda came out in 1984 along with the two strokes. Bajaj 4s sometime in the early 90.

RX-100,AX-100 and KB-100 all 2 strokes sold very well (until the very end) for 20 years since then side by side with Hero Honda.......until the emission norms squeezed them out of the market one fine day.

Last edited by Mpower : 18th June 2013 at 17:57.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Smells like they have repackaged the first front under drivers seat ricks launched in our country mid to late 70's those I recall were smaller the rear engined. Then maybe what do I know, they may have use that platform as a starting point. Can't make out from the pic in the link
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 10:05   #19

Today, while my commute to my office I spotted two of new Bajaj REs' in Malad,Mumbai. Was unable to get a photo of it because my bus was fast and both the rickshaws were on the opposite lane!
The facelifts majorly contained modifications in the front Headlamps,Turning Blinkers and Tail Lamps.

Bajaj Auto Ltd.(BAL), on June 13th, had unveiled its new range of RE Compact three-wheeler passenger vehicles in two-stroke as well as four-stroke petrol, CNG and LPG versions. There will be seven variants on this platform, and the diesel version will be launched shortly.
Source: The Hindu

Last edited by nishantdlv : 6th September 2013 at 08:24.
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote