Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 16th July 2013, 18:18   #46
BHPian

Default re: Airbus A320 Long-Term, 3 Million KMs Review

Wow, great thread, iFly !

To answer some of the questions/doubts :

Commercial jets ( aside from Concorde and Tu-144 ) cannot fly supersonic. They aren't designed to, and the engine/intake design precludes this. Supersonic airflow needs to be decelerated to subsonic, that is the reason why fighters ( and the Concorde/Tu-144 ) have long intake ducts with variable ramps to deflect shock waves and reduce air flow speed.
One may however, go supersonic in a dive. How long the airframe can withstand being supersonic, I don't know.

A380 reverse thrust on 2 engines. This probably has to do with the width. The engines are far outboard and some runways so narrow that the engine thrust could throw up debris from outside the paved area, which may get sucked in the engine.

Flying on one engine : It's doable and the asymmtric thrust has to be countered, usually with rudder and aileron input - the flight computer should be able to do this without explicit input from pilot.

@ifly : 0-100 in 45 seconds ??? Are you including engine spool up time from idle to full thrust ? I'm sure 0-100 from brake release would be under 10 sec. I've only sat in A320 , A330 and A340 ( no Boeings so far ). All of them had a strong acceleration at take off, I'm sure it can't be over 20 sec, a bit more and the take off run is over !

Personally, I liked the A340 most. Was the most comfortable in terms of seating and quiet ride. Pity that quad-jets are not in favour by airlines , preferring twin-jets. Any idea of ETOPS changes of late ?

Now - any fighter jockeys also lurking on the forum ?
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 18:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread ifly.

I've always been fascinated with airplanes and when i fly I ask for a window seat nearest to the wing so i can see the flaps and other parts do their magic.

And this is one of those rare threads where top speeds can be posted without breaking the forum rule

As asked earlier, i'm curious to know how do pilots keep a track of so many gauges and instruments.

Fly safe
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 19:12   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly View Post
Tyres

Been on the bridgestones with nitrogen in them. Work really well! They usually last about 100 take offs and landings.
I always cringe when I see the "grind" on the runway. Always wanted to ask, how difficult it is to spin the tyres to match the ground speed before touch down?

EDIT: I understand it's more of a manufacturing question.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 16th July 2013 at 19:14.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 19:15   #49
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread iFly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
This is what i love about TeamBHP.
Cars, trucks, buses, even trains.. and now a jumbo jet...
Next a container ship????
Quote:
Haha! A container ship would be interesting!!
Looks like you haven't explored Team-BHP fully. Here you go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...highlight=ship
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 19:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Mods - delete this post if needed. But i HAD to ask him this:

Mate - are you allowed to sport our Team-B stickers on any of your planes?
<-yes i am! But i had to ask you .
I know I am at risk of getting an infraction for going further , but these were my exact thoughts and I went one step ahaed and started looking for a LTD sticker on the Indigo flight at the begining of the post
Since we now have a pilot amongst us, do we get special fares and treatments for TEAM BHP members when we fly indigo next?
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 21:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Looks like you haven't explored Team-BHP fully. Here you go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...highlight=ship
What's missing still is a submariner.

BTW ifly is not the first pilot; IIRC we have at least one chopper pilot and a real fighter pilot -who flew Mirage 2000s- among us.

@ifly, the major difference you notice when you see a cockpit photo of an Airbus and a Boeing is that the former has no control yoke - which Boeing says the way to fly an airplane. Indeed the Air France A330 crash in south Atlantic a couple of years back is partially attributed to the side stick design of the AB. Would you comment on this matter?
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 03:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
This may be a silly question. Since the two engines are on either side of the fuselage, how will the airplane behave with only one engine running? My rusty brain could only visualize it will go round and round in circles .
explained well earlier.. basically you use rudder to compensate for the asymmetric thrust and fly straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
Regarding the sound barrier, here's the physics-
Sound (unlike light) is dependent on the medium. Also, aircrafts have 2 speeds-
ground speed and air speed. To experience a sonic boom, the plane must exceed the sound velocity in air speed, which is not possible in the 320, unless you nose dive. Even then, I believe the Vne (Never exceed speed) of the 320 is rated at less than 1 Mach (airspeed). So, no pilot would actually do it.

In short, it might be totally possible to exceed the speed of sound (relative to the ground) with very high velocity tail winds and still not have a sonic boom.
your right about ground speed and airspeed but there also is mach no. Usually above approx 24000 ft airplanes transition from airspeed to mach and fly a particular value.

in the above posts ground speed is mentioned but in cruise you usually fly mach. average cruise speeds for a 737/320 is M.77 - M.80 and goes up to approx m.83 for the larger airplanes

flying at speeds close to mach 1(speed of sound) exceeds the structural limitation of an airplane. in cruise due to various aerodynamical reasons an airplane will experience "Mach buffet" and "Mach tuck" when approaching critical mach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutta_d1 View Post
@ifly - Just wanted to ask something. I have found that some flights are cold and some are not so. Do pilots adjust the temperature/ will they adjust if passengers feel uncomfortable with the temperature? Or is it just better to take a few extra clothes?
LOL.. temperature controls in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

2. Do you folks actually calculate the load, distance, cruising speed, time thingie and thus the fuel every time or is it according to a pre-planned program.

the FMC(flight management computer)/ FMS (flight management system) calculates most of those parameters.

Quote:
3. How much impact does passenger "excess" baggage actually make in the fuel consumption calculations?
in the long run if you look at annual fuel cost, its a lot

Quote:
6. Lets say due to weather conditions or anything else, you cannot land at the desired place, how much fuel is (usually) in excess, how far/long-duration (usually) can you go?

Usually have a set amount of fuel require for these circumstances for the desired alternate airport

Quote:
7. Flaps vs Slats which are, in practice, more effective in reducing the stall speed?

they actually work synonymously slats are on the Leading edge(front) and flaps on the trailing edge(rear) of the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

@ifly : 0-100 in 45 seconds ??? Are you including engine spool up time from idle to full thrust ? I'm sure 0-100 from brake release would be under 10 sec. I've only sat in A320 , A330 and A340 ( no Boeings so far ). All of them had a strong acceleration at take off, I'm sure it can't be over 20 sec, a bit more and the take off run is over !
Any idea of ETOPS changes of late ?
spool times for jets is long. so if you calculate the time from advancing thrust levers will be a while though it will be quicker than 45 secs but definitely not under 10

ETOPS certification are different for different airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I always cringe when I see the "grind" on the runway. Always wanted to ask, how difficult it is to spin the tyres to match the ground speed before touch down?

EDIT: I understand it's more of a manufacturing question.
they only spin when they hit the ground ? no skill require for that

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 04:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

12KMPL is not bad at all. Usually cars give that mileage. Volvo's if I recollect correctly give a mileage of 4 KMPL.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 05:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

@ifly curious how u calculated 12kmpl.
Old 17th July 2013, 12:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
they actually work synonymously slats are on the Leading edge(front) and flaps on the trailing edge(rear) of the wing
I know, but I want to know from a Pilot's flying perspective, given a choice of leading edge slat vs trailing edge flap - what would you choose during landing or takeoff from a short runway?

EITHER ... OR, not both.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 14:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Now - any fighter jockeys also lurking on the forum ?
There are. Infact neel (I think) was reluctant to start a thread because he was / is afraid that it may degrade to a "my career is better than yours" debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
12KMPL is not bad at all. Usually cars give that mileage. Volvo's if I recollect correctly give a mileage of 4 KMPL.
Quote:
@ifly curious how u calculated 12kmpl.
Its calculated per head basis assuming each passenger is driving a car. Hypothetically, if each of those passengers were to drive themselves to that destination, cumulative fuel consumed would be more or less same as that consumed in an airplane if they fly together.

Applying same logic a Volvo bus will give in excess of 100km/l. Thats why public transport makes financial and environmental sense. An aeroplane pales in comparison. So a plane while being a mass transporter, is only as efficient as a personal transport.
Guite is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 15:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
your right about ground speed and airspeed but there also is mach no. Usually above approx 24000 ft airplanes transition from airspeed to mach and fly a particular value.

in the above posts ground speed is mentioned but in cruise you usually fly mach. average cruise speeds for a 737/320 is M.77 - M.80 and goes up to approx m.83 for the larger airplanes

flying at speeds close to mach 1(speed of sound) exceeds the structural limitation of an airplane. in cruise due to various aerodynamical reasons an airplane will experience "Mach buffet" and "Mach tuck" when approaching critical mach.
This link is an excellent reference to all who has doubts regarding sonic boom and Ground/Air Speed-
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...ts/q0210.shtml

Quote:
LOL.. temperature controls in the cockpit
No kidding. I know the climate controls are located in the cockpit.
dutta_d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 15:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know, but I want to know from a Pilot's flying perspective, given a choice of leading edge slat vs trailing edge flap - what would you choose during landing or takeoff from a short runway?

EITHER ... OR, not both.
there is a single lever for flaps. which extends the slats and flaps together. neither one can be extended independently.

there are different flaps settings certified for take off and landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Its calculated per head basis assuming each passenger is driving a car. Hypothetically, if each of those passengers were to drive themselves to that destination, cumulative fuel consumed would be more or less same as that consumed in an airplane if they fly together.

Applying same logic a Volvo bus will give in excess of 100km/l. Thats why public transport makes financial and environmental sense. An aeroplane pales in comparison. So a plane while being a mass transporter, is only as efficient as a personal transport.
going by the same logic is 1/5th as efficient. considering a car gives an average of 10 kmpl and seats five. so cumulative efficiency is 50 kmpl !!

Last edited by revtech : 17th July 2013 at 15:41.
Old 17th July 2013, 19:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
This is my small review of the Airbus a320 long term review. This isn't actually just one airplane but about 82 different ones I have had the opportunity of flying for about 3 million kilometers.
Holy Cow. Fantastic thread ifly. How did I miss this for past 4 days? Probably office kept me busy. Now I am sure that office is going to take the back seat and this is going to keep me hooked.
narsi_6989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 18:08   #60
BHPian

Default Re: Airbus A320 Long-Term, 3 Million KMs Review

Nice thread!! Can you post some more pictures? Ever since I was a child, I was fascinated by airplanes and wanted to see a cockpit of one. I have one question for you ... everyone has experienced the crew asking passengers to turn off electronic devices during take off and landing. (Well, I am not asking about mobile phones) ... devices like ipad, mp3 systems or any other such devices. Can you comment if you have seen any such devices disturbing your flying procedures? And, why do we have to turn them off during takeoff and landing only?
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote