Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 17:11   #1
BHPian
 
Rosso Corsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOM - ATL
Posts: 548
Thanked: 503 Times
Default LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Was returning to Mumbai from Panvel yesterday when I saw a truck chassis with a "Caution Left Hand Drive" sticker and TC plates. When my bus overtook it, the truck turned out to be a TATA 1613. No camouflage, just a normal chassis but with LHD. Also happened to see an Eicher LHD chassis being tested, but couldn't click it.
Attached Thumbnails
LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?-photo_20130726_155523_1.jpg  

LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?-photo_20130726_155518_1.jpg  

Rosso Corsa is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 18:37   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

What makes you think these are test mules?? They could just be models being exported.

The lack of a registration number up-front and the white paper on the windscreen (probably showing destination or delivery details) makes me think this truck is just going overseas somewhere.

Also, did you see a specific "1613" mark?? I ask because LHD 2-axle models were mostly 180hp variants, ie 1618s or 1918s.
julupani is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 19:43   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 493 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Nice find. Are you sure they are 1613? because they have a day cab and the 1613 comes with a sleeper cab, good to see that Tata have made subtle modifications to the front, the bumper looks beefy
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 21:31   #4
BHPian
 
Rosso Corsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOM - ATL
Posts: 548
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
What makes you think these are test mules?? They could just be models being exported.

The lack of a registration number up-front and the white paper on the windscreen (probably showing destination or delivery details) makes me think this truck is just going overseas somewhere.

Also, did you see a specific "1613" mark?? I ask because LHD 2-axle models were mostly 180hp variants, ie 1618s or 1918s.
The white paper had "ON TEST - TATA MOTORS" written clearly on it. There was a TC plate in the front, which I have blanked out. Same case with the Eicher truck.

I did see 161, don't remember if it was 1613 or 1618. But definitely not 1918
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 00:07   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hibbing, MN
Posts: 73
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

These are probably being tested before exporting them! i think Europe and Africa gets a lot of LHD Buses and Trucks from TATA
Diamond_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 07:51   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
The white paper had "ON TEST - TATA MOTORS" written clearly on it. There was a TC plate in the front, which I have blanked out. Same case with the Eicher truck.

I did see 161, don't remember if it was 1613 or 1618. But definitely not 1918
Please share what else was written on that white piece of paper, since there definitely seems to be a lot more than just "ON TEST - TATA MOTORS".

I still find it very odd, since testing would normally be done under load, while this doesnt even have so much as a load body on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
These are probably being tested before exporting them! i think Europe and Africa gets a lot of LHD Buses and Trucks from TATA
Pre-despatch testing will be done at the in-house test track at Tata's Jamshedpur facility rather than out in the open.

I dont think Europe gets a lot of Tata trucks, expect probably Russia. Middle east and Africa are the major destinations. But I would imagine a good part of the Tata trucks sold in Africa must now be assembled in the factory at South Africa.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 08:51   #7
BHPian
 
Rosso Corsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOM - ATL
Posts: 548
Thanked: 503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

Please share what else was written on that white piece of paper, since there definitely seems to be a lot more than just "ON TEST - TATA MOTORS".
This was the only sentence written in bold letters. There was something else written too, I could not read it though.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 21:06   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

TATA has been exporting its product since its inception. TATA made a fortune exporting 1210D to one African dictator who was a fan of hitler and 1210D resembled WWII era Opel Blitz.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
TATA has been exporting its product since its inception.
Actually, it exported its first product in 1961 which was 7 years after commencement of manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
TATA made a fortune exporting 1210D to one African dictator who was a fan of hitler and 1210D resembled WWII era Opel Blitz.
It resembled Mercedes Benz L312, being its re-badged version, not Opel Blitz.

One of the countries to which Tata exported was Uganda which was then run by the infamous Idi Amin. When he first saw the long bonnet 1210 model with its outdated looks (semi forward version hadn't come out till then), he jokingly told Tata officials, "You're selling me Hitler's truck!" and then added, "But I'll take it. I like Hitler."

It's not quite correct to say Tata made a huge fortune selling trucks to him. By late 1970s, Tata was exporting to nearly 50 countries across the globe and Uganda was just one among them.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:34   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post

It resembled Mercedes Benz L312, being its re-badged version, not Opel Blitz.
The L3xx series Mercedes Trucks came out in the early 50s. So Amin probably did mean the Opel Blitz or equivalent Mercedes truck when he said "Hitler's truck".
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:37   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Actually, it exported its first product in 1961 which was 7 years after commencement of manufacture.



It resembled Mercedes Benz L312, being its re-badged version, not Opel Blitz.

One of the countries to which Tata exported was Uganda which was then run by the infamous Idi Amin. When he first saw the long bonnet 1210 model with its outdated looks (semi forward version hadn't come out till then), he jokingly told Tata officials, "You're selling me Hitler's truck!" and then added, "But I'll take it. I like Hitler."

It's not quite correct to say Tata made a huge fortune selling trucks to him. By late 1970s, Tata was exporting to nearly 50 countries across the globe and Uganda was just one among them.
L312 could not have been used during Hitler era right. First L312 came out of assembly line in 1954 and two years later from Jamshedpur plant. Blitz had striking resemblance to 312 and later 1210D ironically also resembled 312.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 15:48   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 2,713 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

I wonder what stops Indian manufacturers from re-routing the exhaust to the roof like this export model and save us bikers and pedestrians from some lung disease.
If it pointed down like most of the new models now, its the dust and dirt on the road on our face or its soot.

I hope the Govt passes a rule soon.

Regards
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 16:45   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The L3xx series Mercedes Trucks came out in the early 50s.
L 312 started life in 1949 as L3250, later re-designated as L3500 (in 1950) and L4500(in 1953), the designation changing with each successive payload increase; all these trucks came fitted with OM 312 engine displacing 4.6 litres and developing 90 HP intitially that was successively boosted to 100 and 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
So Amin probably did mean the Opel Blitz or equivalent Mercedes truck when he said "Hitler's truck".
Amin had made that statement jokingly because of 1210's antiquated styling. None of us can possibly guess exactly which truck he had in mind. If Tata looked like Mercedes, the Merc looked like Opel Blitz which Daimler was forced to make in its factory by the German wartime Govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
L312 could not have been used during Hitler era right. First L312 came out of assembly line in 1954
The designation L312 was given in 1955 but the truck was earlier known as L4500 and before that L3500 and even before that L3250 as explained above. Even if you treat L312 as a truck different from L3500 (which it wasn't), its year of introduction would be 1953, not 1954.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
and two years later from Jamshedpur plant.
Production commenced at Jameshedpur in 1954 itself, initially from CKD kits supplied from Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Blitz had striking resemblance to 312 and later 1210D ironically also resembled 312.
What's ironical about it? 1210 (not 1210D) model was introduced by Tata in 1964. It was L312 with increased payload. When the collaboration expired in 1969, the same truck got renamed as Tata 1210 without any stylistic changes, just like Vespa scooter became Bajaj 150, post the expiry of collaboration with Piaggio.

Last edited by directinjection : 29th July 2013 at 16:56.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 20:37   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default re: LHD Tata caught testing. Is this the 1613 chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
L 312 started life in 1949 as L3250, later re-designated as L3500 (in 1950) and L4500(in 1953), the designation changing with each successive payload increase; all these trucks came fitted with OM 312 engine displacing 4.6 litres and developing 90 HP intitially that was successively boosted to 100 and 110. .
we are definitely deviating from topic. since you mentioned it. here it goes.

Merc L3250 was made on the basis of Opel Blitz. The 6-cylinder 4700cc diesel engine OM312 was made on the design of old gasoline engine from Opel Blitz.

L3500 despite striking resemblance from front had a very long nose than very successful L312.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Motors' 1613 CNG buses for Pune city parrys Commercial Vehicles 5 16th February 2014 07:46
Tata Penguin (Magic Iris) Mini Truck caught testing fz_rider Commercial Vehicles 5 28th November 2010 00:08
SCOOP : Tata Venture Caught Testing fz_rider Commercial Vehicles 109 26th October 2010 21:42
Spied 2010 Tata Safari / Indicruz EDIT : Caught testing in India! Pics on Pg. 20 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 1282 5th January 2010 15:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks