Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 1st October 2013, 10:29   #16
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Ashok Leyland considering Nissan NV350 Caravan for India?

Okay guys, here is the disappointment. According to the spy pictures of the test vehicle posted on Autocar India, it looks like we are going to get the previous generation E25 version which was stopped in Japan in 2012 (but continues on sale in some other markets) and not the latest generation E26. In other words, another hand-me-down CV

Take a look at the spy shots:

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/n...ia-spied-98710

And then compare them to the images posted by JayPrashanth in the first post. It's obvious that the test vehicle is not the latest E26, but the previous generation E25:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 12840
Size:  45.3 KB

Last edited by RSR : 1st October 2013 at 10:31.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 11:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I expect they will also slot in the existing Renault Nisaan K9 diesel engine, though in a higher state of tune, probably the 110PS one used in the Fluence/Terrano/Duster.
Or they could reduce the cost further and add their 4 cylinder version of Dost Engine which would be even less powerful but might just do the job.
DWind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 12:24   #18
BHPian

Those pictures were posted way back in October last year on Autocar Forum. Surprising to see these crop up on the web all off a sudden.

The question now is, where will NISSAN or AL position this? Below the Evalia / Stile or above it? and what will be the engine?
performance plumbing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 12:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
The question now is, where will NISSAN or AL position this? Below the Evalia / Stile or above it? and what will be the engine?
The first question is a no-brainer. The NV350 is larger and has quite a bit more capacity compared to the Stile which is based on the smaller NV200. So without a doubt this will be positioned above it.

As for engine, I see three possibilities:
1. 4-cyl Variant of the Dost engine, ie a 2.0L engine.
2. 1.5L K9 engine used in the Stile, but in a higher state of tune.
3. If there is a suitable engine from among the LCVs that are being considered for launch by the Nissan-AL partnership, that may be used in this van as well.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 14:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

At last a full size Japanese passenger van to be sold our shores. Previous gen or present gen, it will give a fight to the Traveller and Winger,both dated products themselves.
Regarding the engine, maybe they will use the engine that wil be shared with the Nissan Atlas F24 truck.
The 1.5l Dci in any capacity would be highly unlikely for such a big van.
Displacement still counts.!!!
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 19:06   #21
BHPian

If it comes at the price range of the Winger, or even slightly higher, it definitely is going to be an instant hit. The UrVan has higher-class looks, and tour operators might prefer the Nissan over Winger and the TT. I haven't seen many hotels using the winger for their guests.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 20:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Assuming last generation Urvan is launched, with AL doing some styling tweaks like what it has done for Stile, I am skeptical about the full size passenger van market in India. They are all good contenders but still doesn't have an impact on sales.
Voyager, Winger, Venture are just coming in my mind. Though each of them had its own reasons for reduced sales but is there anything like not acceptance in market like Estate versions of saloons.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 7th October 2013 at 20:56.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 21:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Assuming last generation Urvan is launched, with AL doing some styling tweaks like what it has done for Stile, I am skeptical about the full size passenger van market in India. They are all good contenders but still doesn't have an impact on sales.
Voyager, Winger, Venture are just coming in my mind. Though each of them had its own reasons for reduced sales but is there anything like not acceptance in market like Estate versions of saloons.
The market is definitely not very big, but I think it can work. I dont think the Winger would have caused a loss to Tata Motors, primarily because they bought old tooling from Renault and used an existing engine. Thus the overall initial cost would have been pretty low. Thus even a few hundred units a month will be enough to make money off the product.

Similarly, if your bring in the old machinery and tooling for the prev gen Urvan to India, and use the 1.5L engine from the Stile in a higher state of tune, it may be a good product to launch.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 07:37   #24
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Since they are going to launch the previous generation E25, Ashok Leyland and Nissan should be able to get the price spot on. The Stile's prices have also been announced and they are well within 1 million rupees (ex-showroom). So my guess is that the prices of this E25 Urvan passenger van should start at around the million mark. Certainly not cheap for a hand-me-down people mover, but even the last gen E25 is bound to be more luxurious and contemporary when compared to the Tata Winger and Force Traveller.

I don't think the Renault K9K is going to power this van, for several reasons. I guess the engine is going to be the ZD30DDTi which, as the name suggests, is a 3000cc Nissan engine and it comes in various states of tune with a wide range of power outputs. It meets the BSIV emission norms comfortably. This engine also has enough torque to power a truck such as the Partner, which will be launched by Ashok Leyland sporting the ZD30DDTi. It would only make sense to share the same engine with the Urvan.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 08:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Since they are going to launch the previous generation E25, Ashok Leyland and Nissan should be able to get the price spot on. The Stile's prices have also been announced and they are well within 1 million rupees (ex-showroom). So my guess is that the prices of this E25 Urvan passenger van should start at around the million mark. Certainly not cheap for a hand-me-down people mover, but even the last gen E25 is bound to be more luxurious and contemporary when compared to the Tata Winger and Force Traveller.

I don't think the Renault K9K is going to power this van, for several reasons. I guess the engine is going to be the ZD30DDTi which, as the name suggests, is a 3000cc Nissan engine and it comes in various states of tune with a wide range of power outputs. It meets the BSIV emission norms comfortably. This engine also has enough torque to power a truck such as the Partner, which will be launched by Ashok Leyland sporting the ZD30DDTi. It would only make sense to share the same engine with the Urvan.
Price will be a very very big challenge for Nissan-Leyland. The issue I see is that the Stile itself is as costly as the Winger, while being considerably smaller than the Winger. Also, the Traveller though costlier than the Winger, is much much bigger than both the Winger and the Urvan.

Also, "contemporary and luxurious" is not what most buyers in this segment are looking for. Qualities that are more important are cheap, reliable, fuel efficient and extremely practical. In that regard, I am not sure exactly how fuel efficient a 3L engine will be in a vehicle like this. Thus I still think the 1.5L engine in 110hp state of tune will be a better fit for this van in India.

An ideal engine would be something like a 2-2.5L common rail engine. Unfortunatley for Leyland-Nissan they dont seem to plan to use such an engine in India any time soon. And worse, both Tata and Force have such an engine already. Force has their Merc derived 2.2L, while Tata have their own 2.2L Dicor. The Traveller is already available with this engine, and I am sure future versions of the Winger will feature the 2.2L Dicor in a 120hp state of tune.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote