Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 16:37   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,121
Thanked: 1,196 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
BMTC is finally scrapping Marco Polo buses. Looks like since these were bought with Central Govt assistance, they had to take permission to scrap them.

Source: http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2510115.ece
To me it looks more like another one of usual steps to float another tender and purchase even costlier buses at the expense of taxpayers' money. "Scientific problems" it says. What are those? Funny how these people come up with crowd gathering numbers like "losses of 27rs per kilometer". The uninformed (and yes we have a majority of them so far) will assume the buses are technically so inferior that they are causing losses of this much in maintenance!!

I won't be surprised if this leads to acquisition of hyper costly Volvos in near future.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 17:59   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 761
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
To me it looks more like another one of usual steps to float another tender and purchase even costlier buses at the expense of taxpayers' money. "Scientific problems" it says. What are those? Funny how these people come up with crowd gathering numbers like "losses of 27rs per kilometer". The uninformed (and yes we have a majority of them so far) will assume the buses are technically so inferior that they are causing losses of this much in maintenance!!

I won't be surprised if this leads to acquisition of hyper costly Volvos in near future.
You need to travel in one of these to believe this. These buses since the day one have been a bane to the people of Bengaluru and was a big mistake by the BMTC to procure this.

An empty Marcopolo bus does not have the pickup to match an overloaded normal suburban bus here. They spewed a lot of smoke which led to a public outcry and finally to the redesign of the exhaust but the smoke still stays. BMTC have tried to convert these to non-AC but the cost for refurbishment do not do justice. So this step was taken.

For a comparison, a Volvo runs a 6.5km stretch from my place to the CBS in 15 mins, a non ac suburban bus at 23 mins and a Marcopolo at 32 mins. Even the Corona buses similar to the Marcopolo are a better lot and are still going strong.

I think it a right step by the BMTC to scrap these buses and move to the better buses. By its standards, the BMTC had also run a trial of the Mercedes buses and had shunned it after its trial period for the same obvious reason of higher maintenance cost.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 18:03   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,121
Thanked: 1,196 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
You need to travel in one of these to believe this. These buses since the day one have been a bane to the people of Bengaluru and was a big mistake by the BMTC to procure this.
....
Sad story. I hope next time their procurement also involves an honest feasibility study of the intended product. Its not a part of the process in my part of the world so I regularly see products least matching the public requirements which get further deteriorated by the "maintenance" departments...In a way to make us wonder whether the procurement is for public's interest or that of some specific people..you know..
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 19:55   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I won't be surprised if this leads to acquisition of hyper costly Volvos in near future.
BMTC already runs 600+ Volvos in various routes in the City as well as to the airport. They recently declared that they'd not be getting any more AC buses (which IMHO is a wrong decision - there are more routes which can have AC services - not necessarily Volvo buses).


Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
An empty Marcopolo bus does not have the pickup to match an overloaded normal suburban bus here. They spewed a lot of smoke which led to a public outcry and finally to the redesign of the exhaust but the smoke still stays. BMTC have tried to convert these to non-AC but the cost for refurbishment do not do justice. So this step was taken.
These buses gave very little mileage - BMTC is very mileage conscious. They charged lower fares compared to the Volvos (atleast on some routes out of the City) and they consumed as much diesel as a Volvo - so it did not make sense to run them. The AC conks off any time - I've had that experience more than once, and I generally keep away from the Marcopolos - unless I am left with no other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I think it a right step by the BMTC to scrap these buses and move to the better buses. By its standards, the BMTC had also run a trial of the Mercedes buses and had shunned it after its trial period for the same obvious reason of higher maintenance cost.
AFAIK, The Mercs were not shunned due to Maintenance Cost. BMTC had placed orders with them for some 50-or so buses - but the order was cancelled later. BMTC wanted BS-4 buses, while Merc did not have a BS-4 bus ready. The order was later re-issued to Volvo.

The Merc buses were really more comfortable than the Volvos - the ride quality was better - had much lesser jerks. The driver was happy with the bus as well - he claimed it gave more mileage as well.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 23:00   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
Ashley2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NH7
Posts: 2,092
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
To me it looks more like another one of usual steps to float another tender and purchase even costlier buses at the expense of taxpayers' money. "Scientific problems" it says. What are those? Funny how these people come up with crowd gathering numbers like "losses of 27rs per kilometer". The uninformed (and yes we have a majority of them so far) will assume the buses are technically so inferior that they are causing losses of this much in maintenance!!

I won't be surprised if this leads to acquisition of hyper costly Volvos in near future.
In this case, I don't know, who is the uninformed as the article and numbers are not exaggerated. The number Rs.27 is the cumulative loss of running these buses and it may be across depots that includes post warranty claims, vehicle downtime cost, regular maintenance cost etc.
And not only BMTC even KSRTC is planning to scrap their 45 buses.
These buses were proved technically inferior (to operate and Maintain) and so is why they are scrapped. Infact BMTC has conducted several rounds of discussion with manufacturer and (since they had failed to give satisfactory answer to keep the bus running) taken their feedback and all those are kept as a backup for taking this decision. Infact this is very hard decision and it can't be taken as easy as we speak.
There could one way, they can be saved by converting them to Non Ac. But still, due to GB issues and lack of proper service backup this decision is taken. Since they were purchased with part funding from central Govt. they have now written seeking permission from them.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 10:35   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,142
Thanked: 682 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

One thing I must add. BMTC seems to be one of the best managed public transport establishments operating in the country. Within their limitations they are bringing in any many well thought schemes. And they do make profits year after year. They introduced Volvo buses when other states were not even knowing of its existence .

Karnataka RTC also brought in many new facilities. They are the only public transport company which can make the private VOLVO operators run for their money. Courteous staff, internet based booking (for a long time), good public-private partnerships - all are there plus points.

Compare this with Kerala RTC etc which has been loss making for the last 15-20 years.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 15:18   #112
BHPian
 
Spinnerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 346
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
BMTC seems to be one of the best managed public transport establishments...

They introduced Volvo buses when other states were not even knowing of its existence .
True on the first part; BMTC is one of the better managed public transport entities.

But then, introducing volvo into the fleet had more behind it. It was the Govts move to woo Volvo to set shop in Karnataka; they promised to buy XX volvo over a period, including tax cuts and lot of other perks as long they invested.

It worked out fine, redefined the transport industry itself.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 14:37   #113
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 598
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Karnataka scraps 142 Marcopolo buses

BENGALURU: The state cabinet on Friday gave its nod to a proposal of the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) to scrap 142 Tata Marcopolo buses inducted under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) by the previous BJP government since they had become "white elephants''.

It also decided to institute an inquiry into the purchase of these buses. Sources said a technical team had disapproved buying such buses but its opinion was ignored.

"The inquiry will reveal the truth and we won't spare any official found guilty,'' law minister TB Jayachandra told reporters after the cabinet meeting.

The BMTC decided to scrap the buses to put a stop to the mounting losses of Rs 1.5 crore a month to the BMTC and KSRTC. While 98 Marcopolo buses operate in Bengaluru, 44 operate in Mysuru.

Jayachandra said Marcopolo buses, built by a joint venture between Tata Motors and Marcopolo, Brazil, were first procured in 2008 through the JNNURM because, at Rs 31 lakh each, they were "almost one-third the cost of a Volvo bus". It allowed people to travel in air-conditioned buses at lower rates.

Though the vehicle's engine was good, fuel efficiency was low. BMTC also received many complaints including emission of dark smoke, engine noise and poor airconditioning. Recently, BMTC decided to convert these buses into non-AC ones. Though five buses were initially converted, hardly anyone preferred to travel in them.

The buses were also involved in accidents recently and they proved dangerous to the general public mainly because of its low floor, the minister added.
source : ToI
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 13:55   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,935
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
One thing I must add. BMTC seems to be one of the best managed public transport establishments operating in the country. Within their limitations they are bringing in any many well thought schemes. And they do make profits year after year. They introduced Volvo buses when other states were not even knowing of its existence .

Karnataka RTC also brought in many new facilities. They are the only public transport company which can make the private VOLVO operators run for their money. Courteous staff, internet based booking (for a long time), good public-private partnerships - all are there plus points.

Compare this with Kerala RTC etc which has been loss making for the last 15-20 years.
BMTC uses their fleet of buses for official purpose like ITPL, Bagmane Tech Park, Manyata.. Even some of the BMTC buses are used by schools. They earn a sizable chunk from this. MTC buses in chennai are used only for public transport to the best of my knowledge.
This is where BMTC mints money compared to MTC. Also BMTC fares are much costlier compared to MTC buses.
Frequency of MTC buses are much better compared to BMTC buses. The reason why MTC still does not make profit is due to lot of political interference.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 12:27   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,142
Thanked: 682 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
BMTC uses their fleet of buses for official purpose like ITPL, Bagmane Tech Park, Manyata.. Even some of the BMTC buses are used by schools. They earn a sizable chunk from this.
Agreed. Infact BMTC folks seems to have more freedom to strike deals with private parties. Infosys is one of them. But both KSRTC and BMTC also allows renting of their vehicles for marriage parties .

Quote:
Also BMTC fares are much costlier compared to MTC buses.
True. But one thing which makes me wonder is that bus fares in Tamil Nadu are quite low, and that too for quite some time. As a public service utility that is good, but don't know if they get any subsidies to operate in this fashion.

Quote:
Frequency of MTC buses are much better compared to BMTC buses.
BMTC has a problem especially during odd-hours. Many people still crib that the BMTC operations at odd-hours (past midnight etc.) are very poor and erratic.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 13:03   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
True. But one thing which makes me wonder is that bus fares in Tamil Nadu are quite low, and that too for quite some time. As a public service utility that is good, but don't know if they get any subsidies to operate in this fashion.


BMTC has a problem especially during odd-hours. Many people still crib that the BMTC operations at odd-hours (past midnight etc.) are very poor and erratic.
TN bus fares are very low compared to neighboring states. Its just about 40/50 ps for a km that too with good buses. BMTC is looting passengers with exorbitant fares for short distances. Their frequency is very low during peak hours as they run as contract buses for companies. AFAIK, their Volvo fleet is making huge losses and they increase ordinary fares to breakeven. They come with new technologies in buses which work for just a couple of weeks!

Last edited by coolclouds : 24th April 2015 at 13:04.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 13:50   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,592
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
TN bus fares are very low compared to neighboring states.
+1. When I visited Trichy a few months ago, I was really surprised at the very low fares of the buses. The min fare was Rs 4/- from what I remember. Bus service was excellent, there were both private and public buses running in town.

In comparison, BMTC fares certainly sound expensive.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 14:01   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,935
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
+1. When I visited Trichy a few months ago, I was really surprised at the very low fares of the buses. The min fare was Rs 4/- from what I remember. Bus service was excellent, there were both private and public buses running in town.

In comparison, BMTC fares certainly sound expensive.
BMTC generates maximum revenue by lending out the buses to IT companies, ITPL, Manyata tech park, Bagmanae tech park. Still they crib they are making loss inspite of collecting higher ticket fares.
Instead they can lower the bus fare for the common man. Plus what i have observed is during peak hours on certain routes like silkboard-ITPL they operate only VOLVO buses.
What prevents them from operating Ordinary buses. Not every techie wishes to travel in volvo buses by shelling out more cash. Infact travelling in volvo bus is a pain unlike the ordinary bus due to lack of headrest
The only comforting factor though is the AC.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 22:35   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

These days the Volvo's are not maintained properly. I regularly see broken down Volvo's every day in ORR. In addition, if you happen to go by Volvo recently, you can observe that the AC is not effective and air flow controls are broken. They also emit thick black smoke, the outer body panels are broken or misaligned.

Last edited by rajakumar : 24th April 2015 at 22:36. Reason: typos
rajakumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 18:43   #120
BHPian
 
MadiMaama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: The Comprehensive BMTC Thread

BMTC has a problem especially during odd-hours. Many people still crib that the BMTC operations at odd-hours (past midnight etc.) are very poor and erratic.[/quote]

I totally agree with you sir. I happen to live in the far end of bangalore(Mys Road-kengeri). Buses from Majestic and KR Market disappear after 6pm, causing a lot of distress and hardships to the commutere
MadiMaama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comprehensive City / Call Taxi Review thread girishglg Commercial Vehicles 251 14th January 2016 09:09
My comprehensive BALENO ownership thread binz Long-Term Ownership Reviews 115 5th April 2013 07:17
Traffic Cops fines BMTC Hurrycane12 Commercial Vehicles 33 23rd July 2008 15:18
BMTC Volvo Accident on ORR - Bangalore. (TBHP Exclusive) benbsb29 Commercial Vehicles 25 6th September 2007 09:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks