Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 23rd January 2014, 11:04   #1
BHPian

Default 600 DTC drivers are colour-blind, reveals RTI

A recent RTI plea has reveled that close to 600 drivers driving Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) buses are colour blind and have managed to get behind the wheels with the help of fake medical certificates. The news is very shocking as this kind of a situation puts the life of a commuter under constant and serious risk.

Quote:
Traveling by a DTC bus could be more dangerous than you think. Data accessed through RTI has revealed that around 600 drivers are reportedly colour blind but are in service with the help of fake medical certificates.
Source & full Times of India Article

Delhi Transport Corporation buses are commonly known as DTC buses in New Delhi. They were incorporated in the year 1948 by Government of India when they found out that the existing service provider those days "Gwalior and Northern India Transport Company" was ill equipped and unable to serve the purpose.

Today, DTC is one of the largest CNG-operated fleet in the world. It is considered as one of the premier bus services of North India. Apart from serving local commuting within Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR), it connects many states like Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttrakhand, Rajasthan and Haryana. It is extensively used by the government to transport police personnel (where heavy deployment is required), agitators and has also been used to barricade roads during agitations. A dedicated BRT (Bus Rapid Transit corridor) was built to ensure smooth running of bus services in Delhi. It flopped as it was not managed properly.

All these things do reflect the government resolve in continuing to improve the public services.

DTC: Old Bus

Name:  DTC OLD.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  85.1 KB

DTC: New Bus (Non-AC)

Name:  dtc non ac.jpg
Views: 2962
Size:  98.3 KB

DTC: New Bus (AC)

Name:  DTC AC.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  101.6 KB

DTC: Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) service used for sight seeing purpose only

Name:  hoho_bus_3_08_2013.jpg
Views: 6080
Size:  41.6 KB

DTC: Serving the disabled

Name:  Disable friendly.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  37.6 KB

DTC: Has witnessed public anger.

Name:  Agitators First choice.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  75.3 KB

DTC: Has handled more than its capacity

Name:  Over Croded.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  20.0 KB

DTC: Resting at its shelter

Name:  Largest bus shelter.jpg
Views: 3698
Size:  71.0 KB

It is the only bus service in India which travels across the Indian border to connect Lahore in Pakistan with India. The New Delhi-Lahore bus service was inaugurated on 20th February 1999 by the former Prime Minister of India Shri. Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The Bus operates by the name "Sada-e-Sarhad". It was discontinued during Kargil war but again resumed operations on 11th July 2003 after the signing of peace treaty by both the nations.

DTC Bus: (New Delhi-Lahore) "Sada-e-Sarhad"

Name:  wagah_border_13_lahore360.jpg
Views: 7456
Size:  46.6 KB

DTC buses in Delhi have come a long way and can be termed as life line of Delhi. They have seen a considerable upgrade in their fleet. DTC also boasts of having an Asia's largest bus shelter on the bank of river Yamuna.

The fares are very moderate with minimum fare starting from Rs.10 and going upto Rs.25.

I have come across various kind of pictures while preparing for this thread. The new and old buses have been seen by all of us, but I came across a rare picture which was a Double Decker. I had never heard from anyone that the double decker buses were plying in Delhi. Were they? Any one having an Idea?

Name:  DTC DOUBLE DECKER.jpg
Views: 5324
Size:  81.6 KB

I feel sad to hear such news about a fleet which has been a witness to the history of Indian Capital City and has come a long way to smoothen the life of a daily commuter.

Source: Times of India, Wikipedia, Google images, Delhi Transport Department.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2014 at 15:23. Reason: Please do NOT upload scanned copies of copyright material
mints21 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: 600 DTC drivers are colour-blind, reveals RTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
...I came across a rare picture which was a Double Decker. I had never heard from anyone that the double decker buses were plying in Delhi. Were they? Any one having an Idea?
Yes, indeed, there were double decker buses plying in Delhi till about 15 years ago or so. Not only the one in your picture, but also articulated double decker buses, used to ply in Delhi, and I've seen them.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 600 DTC drivers are colour-blind, reveals RTI

I dont know about the color blindness bit, but the new breed of DTC drivers are about as bad as the erstwhile Redline junkies. 3 buses parked abreast in a bus-stop, weaving through traffic, racing and overtaking other buses with a vengeance, sticking to your bum at stoplights and in jams, honking and flashing.
Its ridiculous.
There was a time when you could pass right by a DTC bus without worrying that it will pop out without warning. Back to the madness again.

As for the Double deckers, they were there quite some time back, probably phased out in the 90's, I think. I dont remember, maybe earlier.
I do remember waiting for these at lakshmi bai nagar-lodhi road bus stops, knowing exactly which day and what time a double decker will be coming, and waiting patiently for a ride on the "1st floor".
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 600 DTC drivers are colour-blind, reveals RTI

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Commercial Vehicle Forum!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing service of articulated buses LOOONG time ago (in 80s) around the Sadar Baazaar - New Delhi Railways station area (or perhaps my mind is playing tricks because of my age!).

Horse driven Tangas/Tongas also used to ply in that same area.

But I had never seen a DTC double decker. The double decker was a real "fun thing" for us when we traveled to Bombay.

(Or perhaps I did see double decker DTCs ... I lived next to the Nehru Stadium bus terminus - maybe I did see double deckers from far away)

###

And I am surprised over the report about color blindness. However, I believe color blindness doesn't mean everything is monochrome. It just means that certain colors are difficult to tell apart. I don't think that should cause a big alarm.

Also surprising is the fact that RTI unearthed that fake medical certificates have been submitted. Because that means DTC also knows there are fake medical certificates!
What action has DTC taken till now?

Last edited by alpha1 : 23rd January 2014 at 16:45.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am surprised over the report about color blindness. However, I believe color blindness doesn't mean everything is monochrome. It just means that certain colors are difficult to tell apart. I don't think that should cause a big alarm.
I agree with you mate; I firmly believe that DTC is one of the worst-in-condition (no matter whether its low floor AC or Non AC) bus service in Delhi for commuters. In today's time if you catch hold of a DTC driver you can easily ascertain that he is working beyond the age of retirement and once the age catches up these type of ailments do occur but instead of taking corrective action this bus service is still at-large and as rightly pointed out in earlier posts the drivers suffering from these ailments do endanger life of other commuters and motorists on road; specially during evening and night time.

Quote:
Also surprising is the fact that RTI unearthed that fake medical certificates have been submitted. Because that means DTC also knows there are fake medical certificates! What action has DTC taken till now
Mate, Its the apathy on the DTC's part I would say in the first place and secondly its the apathy on the part of the transport department in Delhi who turns a blind eye towards such serious matters.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 13:11   #7
BHPian

To the best of my knowledge Color Blindness is not a contra indication for a Driving Licence. The Color Blind can interpret traffic signals.
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote