Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 14th February 2016, 05:34   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Caravans - Why not in India ?

It all depends on your preferences; I've been caravaning with my own vehicles in the US, Europe, and India.
Some people like campgrounds; they have toilets and showers, but most importantly, security.
Obviously, it takes a lot of customers to maintain a campground, and a lot of campgrounds to instigate camper ownership. There are a few campgrounds in India by the way; or at least, there used to be.

Others [like myself] prefer 'wild' camping, to be as alone as possible. We do without a power connection, and carry our water with us.
You can make do with little or no electricity, and I know people who do it that way. Or you can have generator / batteries / inverter and all that heavy expensive stuff.
Water is heavy, and runs out quickly. That was why I chose the 6 ton chassis. A lot of effort, engineering, and thought went towards the problem of refilling the water tank in India.
The batteries don't have a long shelf life in the tropics; I never got any that lasted more than a couple of years. This was a huge expense each time we wanted to use the truck and head out into the Indian countryside again.
We cooked all of our own food, so we had onboard fridge, sink, stove, and water sterilizer.
We also had a shower in the vehicle.
But the toilet; dare we discuss the most difficult part????

Anyway, you don't have to have campgrounds, or any dedicated infrastructure.
anjuna mark is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 12:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna mark View Post
Some people like campgrounds; they have toilets and showers, but most importantly, security.
Obviously, it takes a lot of customers to maintain a campground, and a lot of campgrounds to instigate camper ownership. There are a few campgrounds in India by the way; or at least, there used to be.

Others [like myself] prefer 'wild' camping, to be as alone as possible. We do without a power connection, and carry our water with us.
You can make do with little or no electricity, and I know people who do it that way. Or you can have generator / batteries / inverter and all that heavy expensive stuff.
We cooked all of our own food, so we had onboard fridge, sink, stove, and water sterilizer.
We also had a shower in the vehicle.
But the toilet; dare we discuss the most difficult part????

Anyway, you don't have to have campgrounds, or any dedicated infrastructure.

1. India's idea of a holiday has forever been "going to native place" or "staying with parents, family and friends. It is only changing now and it will take time for the pace of change to show up in general behaviour across the social spectrum.

2. Capital Expenditure on such holiday aids like a Caravan etc, have long been out of reach of the common man. It is only now that we are getting "mobile" as a race with easier loans being available for cars and whatnot. Yet, the rates of interest for car loans are nowhere as low as the rates in the Developed economies - this is a deterrent.

3. Infrastructure - the lack of it. We first need decent roads to drive along. At the current levels of population and inadequate infra it is unrealistic for India to base itself on a "car based" economy unlike the US/Europe. Basic standards of living themselves have a long way to grow!

4. DIY shyness - Indians generally prefer while on holiday to let someone else do the fetching and carrying and they will pay for that service - a pittance yes, but there are still people to do that work for a pittance because labour is cheap.

5. General attitude to public spaces and general indiscipline - We as a race are an indisciplined lot. We don't care about public places because that is someone else's problem. We all have delusions of grandeur, which makes us think that we are "too big" to pick up litter and rubbish or clean up after ourselves because that is the inherent conditioning right from the home right from early childhood, where the mother or family members or "hired help" picks up and cleans up after one.

While Caravanning is a great option, I think it will still take its time to catch on here in India, if at all. In the interim, those who are keen on it, will simply travel abroad and experience it for themselves!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2016, 14:03   #78
BHPian

That's all true, but people are all different. In a huge country like India, there are always exceptions; by which I mean, exceptional people.

Yes, those with the financial means are the least likely to want to do it; unless they could afford a second vehicle for the staff!
Not an entirely stupid idea by the way... Vehicle 2 could carry the generator, extra water, and the kitchen as well as cook, cleaner, etc.
I don't think this will be something many people will really do there. No, not the common man for sure. The uncommon man; yes perhaps.

But really the major stumbling block is the danger inherent in driving in India; because if you have an accident away from home, you will be arrested by the local authorities, and held for as long as they can, and squeezed for as much as they can.
That's the main use of a professional driver; a poor man who they know can't pay much.
I was awarded the title "bus owner" in the workshop where I was building the vehicle [personally, with my own hands, assisted by several skilled local men].
I was often asked; "Who will be your driver?". Everyone was just shocked when I said I'd be driving myself.
"Bus owner" is not "Driver". "Driver" should be a person who can sit in jail for a few months if necessary.

If you can overcome this, driving through rural India is wonderful; I loved every minute of it, weaving the bus around people and cycles, animals and children in the road. But my wife was often terrified; and she had reason to be. Anything could have happened.
I am American, but I grew up in India, and I learned to drive there; I drove many many kilometers on those narrow, pitted, crowded roads. First on a cycle, then a motorbike, then a monster motorbike, a car, and finally the 7 meter 6 ton camper bus.

We had many positive experiences, we met people who really touched us. If you get off the beaten track, away from the tourist areas and main roads, you see a different India.
So give it a try if you're brave enough. And you have deeeeeep pockets.

Last edited by anjuna mark : 14th February 2016 at 14:11.
anjuna mark is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:02   #79

Hi, I have been following this thread and have also made a few comments i the past.
I have come up with a very interesting concept of a "time share with Camper Vans". Not looking at Caravans right now, for reasons that you all know.
I also have sourced the right people to design and make the camper vans and can build camper vans within the gambit of the Motor vehicles acts.
I would like to collaborate with like minded people who are adventurous, keen on the concept of motor homes, and have some funds to invest.
If you are keen mail me at lourdvijay@gmail.com. I could send you my profile so you have some idea of who I am and my back ground.
LVDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:29   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Hello

But caravan is totally different cup of tea, altogether, IMHO. Do we have the vehicles to pull them comfortably @ 40-50 km / hr. The scorpios, Safaris, innovas, taveras dont have the requisite torque to pull the caravans in incline and neither they have the stopping power or weight to stop in the declines / incline. Except d-max and 3 litre Tata cab. ( the experts can come in). IMHO, these glorified suvs/ muvs are at best, good enough to pull a generator or water tanks, on plane. . .

dr.sen
You have got it completely wrong. A Safari or Scorpio can easily pull a caravan weight about 2/3 tons in speeds excess of 100kmph. All that torque required is already present. For reference look at our Indian trucks which weight about 16/20 tons powered by a 110bhp/30kgm torque engine, moving along at 80kmph. If the caravan is also braked, then stopping power is not really a concern, the bigger concern is home schooled driver's ability to drive a towed vehicle, considering the sad standards and poor abilities of our road users, most of the home grown recreational drivers will find it too hard to drive a towed vehicle.
And BTW it is illegal to attach a cart/ wagon to your car in most states. It requires prior permission to attach a trailer, including a separate registration number etc, so driving a caravan is a pipe dream.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 02:41   #81
BHPian

Pulling a trailer is easier than you would think.
But reversing can be tricky!
anjuna mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 22:17   #82

Hi,
Somebody had sent me a mail yesterday who were interested in my camper van idea.
Can you please share your coordinates once again
Thank you
Lourd Vijay
LVDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 07:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

One of the things that make towing a trailer or caravan more predictable and more do-able abroad is the lane discipline that is maintained.

When you see these vehicles towing Horse Boxes in England or Australia and the U Haul Trucks, Caravans and Boats and sundry things on the US Freeways and Tollways, one realises how relatively easy and predictable things are there. Even in Dubai and the UAE on weekends, people drive their 4x4's towing Boats etc to the Marina and so on.

In India, I would actually be scared to tow a caravan over long distances because of the following;

1. Completely uneven surfaces
2. Completely unpredictable people, traffic and other road conditions
3. Zero lane discipline
4. Crowding and wrong overtaking from all sides
5. Lack of space in general.

For example, while towing a caravan just suppose some idiotic underaged fool in one of those ubiquitous villages dotting the route, pops up on a moped or a cycle and gets caught in between the towing and the towed vehicles. That is the absolute end!

And the resulting bloodthirsty mob here in India will simply set you alight on the spot with all your possessions in a sort of Viking's Funeral.

India is just not sufficiently disciplined nor civilised and thus one cannot do many of the things that one would do as a matter of course, abroad.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote