Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The F16 is classic. Wish there was more background to it
The news article having both the videos is this one - here you go:

http://www.rt.com/news/210935-norway...-interception/
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 17:50   #64
BHPian

Default Re: Indian Aviation: MiG-25 Foxbat in the Indian Air Force

V.Narayan - Thanks for the informative piece on the Mig-25 Foxbat. While I've known about the aircraft, I never knew of its significance and specific purpose. Great pictures, and great details.
virtualdanger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 04:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Virtualdanger, glad you liked the piece. I love writing them. The challenge is how to compress everything into a brief story that reads like one and not like an aircraft maintenance manual. For its time the Mig-25 was a marvel of engineering for the available level of technology and materials the Russians had. The shape size and exact design of the giant wedge shaped air intakes was the secret of its engines and sustained speed. People outside the world of aerodynamics do not know how drastically and sometimes unpredictably airflow changes with the slightest change in design. Such was the compression the intakes created that at Mach 3 or so the engine became a ramjet and the compressors and turbines actually became a hinderance to the ramjets smooth explosive combustion and flow. This was the reason the engines used to get damaged when flown at Mach 3.2 for more than a few minutes. The Mig-25 was the last Mig aircraft that Gurevich, of the Mikoyan -Gurevich design bureau worked actively on. His work in high mathematics of aerodynamics led directly to the shape of the air intakes and the modearately swept wings. The Mig-25 was one of the first to come with a configuration of thin moderately swept wings, twin canted tails and large intakes. These became standard on most of the next generation of Russian & American fighters.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 02:06   #66
BHPian

Thanks Narayan for the continuing series.

Unfortunately not much is known about the operational history of the MiG-25 in IAF, given the outfit's secretive nature. These birds flew operational missions in Kargil as well.

May I suggest a topic to you? How about documenting the Canberra? It is one of all time favorite types in the Air Force. It has a rich (and fairly documented) operational history and fought in every single IAF op from 1960 (Goa) to 2002 (Parakram).
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 13:02   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post

May I suggest a topic to you? How about documenting the Canberra? It is one of all time favorite types in the Air Force. It has a rich (and fairly documented) operational history and fought in every single IAF op from 1960 (Goa) to 2002 (Parakram).
Dear Aditya101, Thank you for reading the article and for your suggestion. The English Electric Canberra sounds like a great choice to write on especially if I can cover its war record with the IAF. For awhile I had been wondering what to write on - Submarine Arm? Coastguard? - Canberra it is. More Maha Vir Chakras have been won flying Canberras than any other single type. It was a legendary machine that served in India for 50 years and in the UK for almost 60. Infact the Canberra is one of only three aircraft types that the Americans ever did license production of. The other two being the Hawker Harrier (jump jet) and the Hawker Hawk advanced jet trainer.

Name:  Canberra4.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  49.5 KB
A beautiful photo op of 3 Canberras over the Arabian Sea

Name:  Canberra.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  131.5 KB
My favourite Canberra photo showing to good effect the twin Rolls Royce Avon turbojets, the bubble canopy, the broad chord long span wings that gave it its outstanding maneuverability and high altitude (for its time) flight capability of upto almost 50,000' and the cigar shaped central fuselage that housed the bombs.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote