Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 22:41   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation has begun trials of the new Volvo - UD City buses today.

The UD City Buses are 12 Metres in length and can seat 36 passengers. The bus has a semi-low floor (650mm). The bus is powered by an 8-Litre GH8 Turbo-charged intercooled BS-IV engine, that delivers 230hp and 900nM of Torque.

The bus has Prakash-Fainsa seats. The seating is multi-leveled like all rear-engine buses. The body is currently built by Volvo Buses, at their bus-plant near Hoskote in the outskirts of Bangalore. However, the production will be shifted to the new bus plant set-up by Volvo and Prakash Bus Corporation (SM Kannappa Automobiles) near the present factory.

The bus has a 6-speed automatic transmission by ZF. The air-conditioning is by Denso.

Some pictures of the bus is attached below. The buses will be on trial with BMTC for two months from today.
Attached Images
        
binaiks is offline   (24) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:21   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 837 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

The bus is running the route 342F, from Kempegowda bus station to Sarjapur, on a trial basis. This route runs almost empty. Running the routes 335E or 500C will be the ultimate test of reliability and will test all parameters.

Last edited by msdivy : 23rd June 2015 at 11:26.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,986
Thanked: 1,402 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The bus is running the route 342F, from Kempegowda bus station to Sarjapur, on a trial basis. This route runs almost empty.
I saw the bus last evening, on this route. It wasn't empty, but didn't have any standees either.

Quote:
Running the routes 335E or 500C will be the ultimate test of reliability and will test all parameters.
The Sarjapur road stretch will be a good test for the suspension components of the bus, so 342F is also not bad Jokes aside, maybe they'll change the route after a while.

Last edited by silversteed : 23rd June 2015 at 13:40.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,934
Thanked: 1,158 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I saw the bus last evening, on this route. It wasn't empty, but didn't have any standees either.

The Sarjapur road stretch will be a good test for the suspension components of the bus, so 342F is also not bad Jokes aside, maybe they'll change the route after a while.
It will be better if the seats in the bus have headrests otherwise commuting in the bus for long distances can be a pain.
BTW this looks like any other volvo bus that is plying on the bangalore roads. Not able to understand what is special about this bus.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:33   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,940 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I saw the bus last evening, on this route. It wasn't empty, but didn't have any standees either.

The Sarjapur road stretch will be a good test for the suspension components of the bus, so 342F is also not bad Jokes aside, maybe they'll change the route after a while.
I live along that road. Especially in and around that bridge near decathlon, the massive speedbreakers mean this bus's ground clearance is going to receive a severe test. And the road is too narrow and already choked with school buses, office tempo travelers etc for me to even contemplate a bmtc volvo breaking down in the middle of the road.

Still - on the occasions that I have to take a train or bus out of bangalore city / majestic, this will come in quite handy. So thanks for letting me know, I've only seen ordinary buses operating this route so far.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:21   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
silversteed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PGT//BLR//STR
Posts: 1,986
Thanked: 1,402 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
this looks like any other volvo bus that is plying on the bangalore roads. Not able to understand what is special about this bus.
AFAIK, this is a Semi-Low-Floor, ie., 650mm floor height, unlike the Volvo 8400LE that has a Low-Floor, ie., 400mm floor height. Except the engine spec, they are like the Corona Skypak or the infamous Tata Marcopolo RE buses that we have in 'Hump'-alooroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
...the massive speedbreakers mean this bus's ground clearance is going to receive a severe test
Being an SLF, this bus would fare as good or as bad as those Viking-SLF or KMS/Marcopolo built LPO1618c non-AC buses that you already have on that route.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:41   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation has begun trials of the new Volvo - UD City buses today.

The UD City Buses are 12 Metres in length and can seat 36 passengers. The bus has a semi-low floor (650mm). The bus is powered by an 8-Litre GH8 Turbo-charged intercooled BS-IV engine, that delivers 230hp and 900nM of Torque.

.
So whats different in these buses ? To me , this looks like a regular BMTC bus except for the logo at the front
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:48   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I live along that road. Especially in and around that bridge near decathlon, the massive speedbreakers mean this bus's ground clearance is going to receive a severe test. And the road is too narrow and already choked with school buses, office tempo travelers etc for me to even contemplate a bmtc volvo breaking down in the middle of the road.

Still - on the occasions that I have to take a train or bus out of bangalore city / majestic, this will come in quite handy. So thanks for letting me know, I've only seen ordinary buses operating this route so far.
+1.. Commuting on Sarjapur Road, especially the stretch from the ORR junction till Wipro is a pain. I stay there too.

On your 2nd point, BMTC already has volvos on route 342 (Majestic - Sarjapur or Majestic - Doddakanelli). Not the most frequent but if you are lucky, you can get one. These replaced the smokin Marco Polos. BMTC also plied Volvos on Routes G2B (Kaikondarahalli - MG Road) and 333W (Wipro - Majestic via ORR - Marathahalli) during peak hours but withdrew them due to poor patronage. My wife used to take the G2B and often found less than 10 people in the bus.

Last edited by aroonanand : 23rd June 2015 at 16:49. Reason: Typo
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:21   #9
BHPian
 
jayakumarkp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 147
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

I guess it's NOT an all air suspension setup?
jayakumarkp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 04:50   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 69
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

As UD is owned by Volvo Group. Is this the low cost volvo bus. Then its interesting to see what is the difference between the already plying Volvo's and this UD bus.
Leymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 05:18   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,940 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

The G2 usually being operated to Majestic seems to be a fairly decent bus by bmtc standards, but not a volvo most times. Excellent vfm for my office commute given it is not too crowded at all - but then the distance to my office from the bus stop means I prefer to drive over anyway instead of a long walk or short auto ride at the end.

These buses would definitely be an improvement on the current boneshakers on this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
+1.. Commuting on Sarjapur Road, especially the stretch from the ORR junction till Wipro is a pain. I stay there too.

On your 2nd point, BMTC already has volvos on route 342 (Majestic - Sarjapur or Majestic - Doddakanelli). Not the most frequent but if you are lucky, you can get one. These replaced the smokin Marco Polos. BMTC also plied Volvos on Routes G2B (Kaikondarahalli - MG Road) and 333W (Wipro - Majestic via ORR - Marathahalli) during peak hours but withdrew them due to poor patronage. My wife used to take the G2B and often found less than 10 people in the bus.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th June 2015 at 09:54. Reason: off topic content (tbhp sticker) removed. Please stick to the topic. Thanks!
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 08:10   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

8400 has a 7 liter engine with 290 hp power. The UD I gather from above is 230 hp but an 8 liter engine. So the UD pumps about 60 HP lower. Forgive my ignorance here, but is the idea behind this SLF being its better suited for bad roads?
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 11:30   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,940 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Maybe a slightly underpowered but cheaper aircon bus for these routes? Upscale apartments etc so there is a demand for aircon, but not enough to route a more expensive and more powerful bus there.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 20:56   #14
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

I remember seeing a multiaxle Volvo city bus on 335 E route...what became of it ??
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 23:15   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: BMTC begins Volvo UD City Bus Trials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I remember seeing a multiaxle Volvo city bus on 335 E route...what became of it ??
Returned to Volvo after a few months of trials. A 14.5M bus wasn't really practical for a city like Bangalore.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volvo’s first all-electric bus begins public road tests Tushar Commercial Vehicles 13 6th November 2017 08:46
BMTC to test all-electric BYD K9 bus for city use Ashley2 Commercial Vehicles 32 15th July 2014 09:09
Volvo 8400 *CNG* City Bus trials begin in Delhi GTO Commercial Vehicles 6 9th September 2013 15:09
Volvo CNG City Bus trials commence in Mumbai AkMar Commercial Vehicles 9 16th September 2012 12:35
4th of Every Month in Bangalore--> "Bus Day" from BMTC shishir_bn Shifting gears 51 7th April 2010 22:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:03.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks