Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2016, 09:36   #16
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Thank you for the post ! Very interesting.

Does the Voyage data recorder have to be unclamped before the ship sinks ? I noticed it is latched to something. Or is there an automatic release mechanism so when it makes contact with water it floats and the latches break off ?
Unlike aircraft the ships seem to carry only one data recorder the VDR. In airplanes there are two, the flight data recorder (FDR) which records all parameters of the flight, the instrument readings, the settings of switches and knobs and the flight path for about 25 hours before getting re written, and the CVR, the cockpit voice recorder which records all sounds in the cockpit for a duration of 2 hours before getting re written. Both FDR and CVR are analyzed to understand any mishap.

Yes the recorders are supposed to be auto released on impact, and possibly float onto the surface, however the boxes are salt water tight and can hold on to their information for months underwater.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 15:35   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Interesting thread! Damn neat to see that you can track the ship like you would a commercial jet - http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/565504000
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 15:56   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Nice write up Ankit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
Hi, yes there are ships which carry passengers but it's mostly cruise liners which do a round trip for vacations. AFAIK, nobody wants to travel on a ship to their destination anymore because air travel is much cheaper & faster.

When I did a family trip to Lakshadweep last August, we travelled in a 700 passenger cum 200 T vessel called the MV Kavaratti, from Kochi. While the upper decks were cabins for the vacationing families, the lower decks had the locals travelling to the islands. For them the ships are the lifeline of the islands and their lives revolve around these. So, am sure there are still many places on earth where it is not possible to travel economically by air which are connected by the giants of the ocean.
nambiarshreyas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 18:12   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 784 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambiarshreyas View Post
Nice write up Ankit.




When I did a family trip to Lakshadweep last August, we travelled in a 700 passenger cum 200 T vessel called the MV Kavaratti, from Kochi. While the upper decks were cabins for the vacationing families, the lower decks had the locals travelling to the islands. For them the ships are the lifeline of the islands and their lives revolve around these. So, am sure there are still many places on earth where it is not possible to travel economically by air which are connected by the giants of the ocean.
Yes and another remote destination is the Car Nicobar.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 18:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,457
Thanked: 3,614 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

this is just wow! an inside peek into the workings of an Oil Tanker! always wanted to know about these. my earliest memories of ships is the dry dock in Vizag (late 70s); i was just a little kid and the ships looked so huge (still do)!

thank you for sharing and looking forward for more!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 20:58   #21
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 756
Thanked: 446 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Does the Voyage data recorder have to be unclamped before the ship sinks ? I noticed it is latched to something. Or is there an automatic release mechanism so when it makes contact with water it floats and the latches break off ?
It has a Hydrostatic release which automatically releases when it goes under water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Unlike aircraft the ships seem to carry only one data recorder the VDR. In airplanes there are two, the flight data recorder (FDR) which records all parameters of the flight, the instrument readings, the settings of switches and knobs and the flight path for about 25 hours before getting re written, and the CVR, the cockpit voice recorder which records all sounds in the cockpit for a duration of 2 hours before getting re written. Both FDR and CVR are analyzed to understand any mishap.
We too have a Hard Disk on the bridge which records all the Parameters and voice data for 24 hours. In case of an accident we just have to press a button and the recorded data gets saved permanently and subsequent recording gets shifted to a new partition on the Hard Disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Interesting thread! Damn neat to see that you can track the ship like you would a commercial jet - http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/565504000
We do that when we are scheduled to join a ship and check ETA etc. Earlier we had to rely on information from the office which was not always correct (sometimes intentionally). If you track the BW EGRET right now, it will show the destination as Gibraltar. However it's heading to Amsterdam for orders. Someone has forgotten to update the data.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 21:08   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
We do that when we are scheduled to join a ship and check ETA etc. Earlier we had to rely on information from the office which was not always correct (sometimes intentionally). If you track the BW EGRET right now, it will show the destination as Gibraltar. However it's heading to Amsterdam for orders. Someone has forgotten to update the data.
Aha ok. I thought it was being tracked by some organisation and not based on updates from the ship itself.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 22:47   #23
BHPian
 
bhandary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manipal <=> BLR
Posts: 95
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

I have read in many places about the registration of ships which are in singapore or some islands. Never came across any article where i have read about an Indian registered ship. Any particular reason?
bhandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 22:50   #24
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 756
Thanked: 446 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Aha ok. I thought it was being tracked by some organisation and not based on updates from the ship itself.
The ship transmits it's position, course and speed plus user inputed data like destination, eta, number of persons on board, nav status, cargo etc by AIS. Besides data is transmitted by LRIT (which ship staff cannot control).
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:10   #25
BHPian
 
grkonweb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Thanks for sharing. I learnt the shipping glossary only today.

Aren't the equipment/device pics sensitive?
grkonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 00:18   #26
BHPian
 
manas27587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 144
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

I currently sail as a 2nd engineer on a gas tanker. This is my "cabin". Will post pictures of the engine later.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1456937124.407630.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  195.2 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1456937164.711112.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  195.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
I have read in many places about the registration of ships which are in singapore or some islands. Never came across any article where i have read about an Indian registered ship. Any particular reason?
These countries are called "Flags of convenience". They basically have rules regarding manning of ships and taxes and stuff. India registered ships require to have a large number of crew as indians which many companies are not comfortable with. Also income tax for seafarers is another problem.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1456937459.415489.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  359.5 KB

The above pic is of my ship in Houston terminal.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd March 2016 at 14:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents. Thanks!
manas27587 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:57   #27
BHPian
 
ajitkommini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 483
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
I don't believe that fuel per passenger would be more efficient because airlines use Aviation fuel which is much more refined than the Heavy Fuel Oil used on ships. Plus, like I said earlier, it's about the time. Travelling to the USA from Bombay would take anywhere between 15-20 days vs the same in hours via planes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I'm pretty sure it will be more fuel efficient than an aircraft. But need to confirm.
Some quick googling revealed the following:

Fuel efficiency (in liters per 100 passenger-km i.e. the amount of fuel needed to transport 100 passengers a distance of 1km):

Boeing 747-400: 3.1 l/100-p-km
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2: 16.9 l/100-p-km

which would seem to indicate that aircraft are more efficient. (and the 747-400 is an old aircraft. Newer ones would be better still). But then this may not be the best method of comparison.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 13:51   #28
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 756
Thanked: 446 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Some quick googling revealed the following:

Fuel efficiency (in liters per 100 passenger-km i.e. the amount of fuel needed to transport 100 passengers a distance of 1km):

Boeing 747-400: 3.1 l/100-p-km
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2: 16.9 l/100-p-km

which would seem to indicate that aircraft are more efficient. (and the 747-400 is an old aircraft. Newer ones would be better still). But then this may not be the best method of comparison.
Another point to take into is consideration is that a ship uses Heavy Fuel Oil (Either High Sulphur or Low Sulpher) whereas the the aircraft uses Jet A-1. There is a huge difference in the cost of these fuels. Also an aircraft carries a passenger (avg. wt. 70Kg) + 20kg Checked in baggage + 7kg hand baggage. No such restrictions on a ship. Besides ships carry several thousands of tons of cargo.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:39   #29
BHPian
 
ajitkommini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 483
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Another point to take into is consideration is that a ship uses Heavy Fuel Oil (Either High Sulphur or Low Sulpher) whereas the the aircraft uses Jet A-1. There is a huge difference in the cost of these fuels. Also an aircraft carries a passenger (avg. wt. 70Kg) + 20kg Checked in baggage + 7kg hand baggage. No such restrictions on a ship. Besides ships carry several thousands of tons of cargo.
Exactly. I think the two can't really be compared - its more of apples vs. oranges. By the way, the first picture (view from the bridge) shows so much piping on the deck - is it for connecting the manifolds to the storage tanks? or for the heat exchanger you mentioned?
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:44   #30
BHPian
 
vintageman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 410
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Hello pedrolourenco,

Nice and informative write up.

Does BW policy permit uploading of ship specific data and photographs on a public forum ?

Regards
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India's Multi Billion Dollar Medium Range Combat Aircraft Order premjit Shifting gears 41 1st February 2012 12:48
Chemical composition of different fluids vina Technical Stuff 1 18th December 2011 23:08
Chemical Toilet! which one? where? SirAlec Shifting gears 8 19th April 2011 12:01
English medium vs vernacular medium tortoiseNhare Shifting gears 0 28th March 2010 10:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:57.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks