Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 29th February 2016, 09:36   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The BW Egret: 49999 MT Medium Range Oil & Chemical Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Thank you for the post ! Very interesting.

Does the Voyage data recorder have to be unclamped before the ship sinks ? I noticed it is latched to something. Or is there an automatic release mechanism so when it makes contact with water it floats and the latches break off ?
Unlike aircraft the ships seem to carry only one data recorder the VDR. In airplanes there are two, the flight data recorder (FDR) which records all parameters of the flight, the instrument readings, the settings of switches and knobs and the flight path for about 25 hours before getting re written, and the CVR, the cockpit voice recorder which records all sounds in the cockpit for a duration of 2 hours before getting re written. Both FDR and CVR are analyzed to understand any mishap.

Yes the recorders are supposed to be auto released on impact, and possibly float onto the surface, however the boxes are salt water tight and can hold on to their information for months underwater.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 15:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread! Damn neat to see that you can track the ship like you would a commercial jet - http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/565504000
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 15:56   #18
BHPian

Nice write up Ankit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
Hi, yes there are ships which carry passengers but it's mostly cruise liners which do a round trip for vacations. AFAIK, nobody wants to travel on a ship to their destination anymore because air travel is much cheaper & faster.

When I did a family trip to Lakshadweep last August, we travelled in a 700 passenger cum 200 T vessel called the MV Kavaratti, from Kochi. While the upper decks were cabins for the vacationing families, the lower decks had the locals travelling to the islands. For them the ships are the lifeline of the islands and their lives revolve around these. So, am sure there are still many places on earth where it is not possible to travel economically by air which are connected by the giants of the ocean.
nambiarshreyas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 18:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambiarshreyas View Post
Nice write up Ankit.

When I did a family trip to Lakshadweep last August, we travelled in a 700 passenger cum 200 T vessel called the MV Kavaratti, from Kochi. While the upper decks were cabins for the vacationing families, the lower decks had the locals travelling to the islands. For them the ships are the lifeline of the islands and their lives revolve around these. So, am sure there are still many places on earth where it is not possible to travel economically by air which are connected by the giants of the ocean.
Yes and another remote destination is the Car Nicobar.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 18:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

this is just wow! an inside peek into the workings of an Oil Tanker! always wanted to know about these. my earliest memories of ships is the dry dock in Vizag (late 70s); i was just a little kid and the ships looked so huge (still do)!

thank you for sharing and looking forward for more!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 20:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Does the Voyage data recorder have to be unclamped before the ship sinks ? I noticed it is latched to something. Or is there an automatic release mechanism so when it makes contact with water it floats and the latches break off ?
It has a Hydrostatic release which automatically releases when it goes under water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Unlike aircraft the ships seem to carry only one data recorder the VDR. In airplanes there are two, the flight data recorder (FDR) which records all parameters of the flight, the instrument readings, the settings of switches and knobs and the flight path for about 25 hours before getting re written, and the CVR, the cockpit voice recorder which records all sounds in the cockpit for a duration of 2 hours before getting re written. Both FDR and CVR are analyzed to understand any mishap.
We too have a Hard Disk on the bridge which records all the Parameters and voice data for 24 hours. In case of an accident we just have to press a button and the recorded data gets saved permanently and subsequent recording gets shifted to a new partition on the Hard Disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Interesting thread! Damn neat to see that you can track the ship like you would a commercial jet - http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/...hips/565504000
We do that when we are scheduled to join a ship and check ETA etc. Earlier we had to rely on information from the office which was not always correct (sometimes intentionally). If you track the BW EGRET right now, it will show the destination as Gibraltar. However it's heading to Amsterdam for orders. Someone has forgotten to update the data.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 21:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
We do that when we are scheduled to join a ship and check ETA etc. Earlier we had to rely on information from the office which was not always correct (sometimes intentionally). If you track the BW EGRET right now, it will show the destination as Gibraltar. However it's heading to Amsterdam for orders. Someone has forgotten to update the data.
Aha ok. I thought it was being tracked by some organisation and not based on updates from the ship itself.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 22:47   #23
BHPian

I have read in many places about the registration of ships which are in singapore or some islands. Never came across any article where i have read about an Indian registered ship. Any particular reason?
bhandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2016, 22:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Aha ok. I thought it was being tracked by some organisation and not based on updates from the ship itself.
The ship transmits it's position, course and speed plus user inputed data like destination, eta, number of persons on board, nav status, cargo etc by AIS. Besides data is transmitted by LRIT (which ship staff cannot control).
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:10   #25
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. I learnt the shipping glossary only today.

Aren't the equipment/device pics sensitive?
grkonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 00:18   #26
BHPian

I currently sail as a 2nd engineer on a gas tanker. This is my "cabin". Will post pictures of the engine later.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1456937124.407630.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  195.2 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1456937164.711112.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  195.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
I have read in many places about the registration of ships which are in singapore or some islands. Never came across any article where i have read about an Indian registered ship. Any particular reason?
These countries are called "Flags of convenience". They basically have rules regarding manning of ships and taxes and stuff. India registered ships require to have a large number of crew as indians which many companies are not comfortable with. Also income tax for seafarers is another problem.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1456937459.415489.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  359.5 KB

The above pic is of my ship in Houston terminal.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd March 2016 at 14:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute edit window to add more contents. Thanks!
manas27587 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 12:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
I don't believe that fuel per passenger would be more efficient because airlines use Aviation fuel which is much more refined than the Heavy Fuel Oil used on ships. Plus, like I said earlier, it's about the time. Travelling to the USA from Bombay would take anywhere between 15-20 days vs the same in hours via planes.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it will be more fuel efficient than an aircraft. But need to confirm.
Some quick googling revealed the following:

Fuel efficiency (in liters per 100 passenger-km i.e. the amount of fuel needed to transport 100 passengers a distance of 1km):

Boeing 747-400: 3.1 l/100-p-km
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2: 16.9 l/100-p-km

which would seem to indicate that aircraft are more efficient. (and the 747-400 is an old aircraft. Newer ones would be better still). But then this may not be the best method of comparison.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 13:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Some quick googling revealed the following:

Fuel efficiency (in liters per 100 passenger-km i.e. the amount of fuel needed to transport 100 passengers a distance of 1km):

Boeing 747-400: 3.1 l/100-p-km
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2: 16.9 l/100-p-km

which would seem to indicate that aircraft are more efficient. (and the 747-400 is an old aircraft. Newer ones would be better still). But then this may not be the best method of comparison.
Another point to take into is consideration is that a ship uses Heavy Fuel Oil (Either High Sulphur or Low Sulpher) whereas the the aircraft uses Jet A-1. There is a huge difference in the cost of these fuels. Also an aircraft carries a passenger (avg. wt. 70Kg) + 20kg Checked in baggage + 7kg hand baggage. No such restrictions on a ship. Besides ships carry several thousands of tons of cargo.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Another point to take into is consideration is that a ship uses Heavy Fuel Oil (Either High Sulphur or Low Sulpher) whereas the the aircraft uses Jet A-1. There is a huge difference in the cost of these fuels. Also an aircraft carries a passenger (avg. wt. 70Kg) + 20kg Checked in baggage + 7kg hand baggage. No such restrictions on a ship. Besides ships carry several thousands of tons of cargo.
Exactly. I think the two can't really be compared - its more of apples vs. oranges. By the way, the first picture (view from the bridge) shows so much piping on the deck - is it for connecting the manifolds to the storage tanks? or for the heat exchanger you mentioned?
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:44   #30
BHPian

Hello pedrolourenco,

Nice and informative write up.

Does BW policy permit uploading of ship specific data and photographs on a public forum ?

Regards
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote