Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 30th July 2015, 21:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMTC Volvo - "Brake System Failure" Message

I was shocked to see the photo yesterday (obviously since I hardly take a BMTC or a KSRTC bus). But now after understanding that it is a very common thing, I must say, I'm scared.
I'll stay clear of these vehicles as much as possible when I'm driving on the road or even walking.
Its scary to know that any mishap can happen anytime.

Is there someway we can bring it to the notice of BMTC?
They are putting the life of the passengers and also people outside in danger.
I expect no action, but atleast I'll be happy that I've made an effort.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 21:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

We should try to file a complaint regarding the poor maintenance of these buses and post such pictures as evidence. Since the error is clearly displayed it doesn't require too much explaining to any lay man.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 02:35   #18
BHPian

Post Re: BMTC Volvo - "Brake System Failure" Message

I am thinking Change.org, anyone? I mean, India is one place even the luxurous of luxuriest still go through the same treatment, and no wonder they get butchered real fast. But this issue, shouldn't be under-rated, I for one would personally suggest to sign a petition to check the conditions of the buses, by the KSRTC or the BMTC, feasible?

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 03:06   #19
BHPian

I see this and many other warnings including brake pad wear on buses in London as well, where the maintenance is supposedly better, so am guessing there is a wide safety margin.

Note: not for a minute am I suggesting we ignore the warning. Am just pointing out that this is not an isolated India specific incident
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 09:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Is there someway we can bring it to the notice of BMTC?
Oh, I once walked into the Shantinagar depot a few years ago, when I was new to Bangalore - specifically to tell them about such a warning message. It was the 'what right does an outsider have to complain about us' attitude at display, and needless to say, my concern wasn't heeded to. Sent out an email once, never got a reply. Probably they know their buses inside out so much so that they can ensure things don't fall apart even with such scary warning messages. Maybe their drivers are trained that way (I don't want to talk about the horrible lugging done by KaSRTC Volvo drivers). Once my better half went through an extreme case of insult in a BMTC bus. It was so extreme that she got down from the bus and immediately rang up the BMTC Help(less) line. The lady at the other end patiently heard her out, comforted her, and assured that a complaint has been registered against the erring crew. We followed up for a week, only to find that each time it was some different person we were talking to, and there was no evidence of a complaint being registered. Enough of a rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
I am thinking Change.org, anyone?
Every Tom, Dick and Harry would start a 'petition' on Change.org. The success rate of such petitions is dismal. Recently, there was one that managed quite some numbers for an entirely worthy cause related to RTOs. The petition was submitted in printed form to those in power. Except the all too familiar politicians' hollow promises in front of some cameras, nothing came of it. I wouldn't pin my hopes on such petitions
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 10:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have seen such error messages and alarms go off in many TNSTC Volvos ; have yet to come across an incident involving a brake failure, though.

Saw a hi temperature alarm also appear once and the temp. gauge was reading over 90% of range - the driver got off at the nearest municipal water tap , and asked someone to throw a bucket of water on the radiator and all was well for 16km thereafter (where I got off)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 04:45   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is not an Accident but definitely an accident waiting to happen.
One of my colleagues took this picture yesterday evening near Silk Board, Bangalore. This is from the BMTC Public Transport Volvo.

Attachment 1397279

Attachment 1397274

He was in the neighbouring bus and noticed this message. It clearly is warning of the Brake System Failure
Yet it is being driven on the roads putting a lot of people's life in danger.

Mods: Please move it into a relevant thread if this is not the right place for this post.
Most times heat build up in the engine computer due to our stop and go traffic throws this error.

You need to check if it's on when the bus begins its daily routine early morning. Most probably it's not visible then.

By the way, BMTC's Volvo maintenance is on a per km basis. Example: if it gets serviced at 20k kilometres, whether parts are changed or not, BMTC has to pay X amount to Volvo. It's like group medical insurance.

These busses have multiple redundant systems. So it's unlikely that this particular bus will fail to stop when needed.

Speaking of feet up position: I remember one driver back in the mid 80's who drove his Premier Padmini from Hyderabad to Bangalore without using his hands. I don't remember his name. It was in many auto articles of that time. He had a navigator and kept his hands behind his head and changed gears and steered with his FEET only. Just saying.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 13:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The lady at the other end patiently heard her out, comforted her, and assured that a complaint has been registered against the erring crew. We followed up for a week, only to find that each time it was some different person we were talking to, and there was no evidence of a complaint being registered. Enough of a rant.
do you really want to follow up any complaint with a govt dept then there is a process of escalation.

1. Write a mail to the BMTC Chairman. See if that works and get respite. If no response is forthcoming.

2. Write a mail to the Transport PRO. Is still no reply forthcoming.

3. Write a mail to the Transport minister. See if response is forthcoming. If not then

4. File an RTI.

usually the first step itself will get you a result
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 18:51   #24
BANNED

Wink Re: BMTC Volvo - "Brake System Failure" Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
do you really want to follow up any complaint with a govt dept then there is a process of escalation.

usually the first step itself will get you a result
May I request you to please check once with Volvo, Bangalore or someone who works in it whether there is any danger. I mean, just because an LCD panel is showing clever messages it is not a reason to panic.

If you consider the ordinary Leylands and Tata busses - there is usually no gauge or warning indicator, working on the instrument panel at all in most cases.

You may, if you must, complain about the general lack of maintenance, instead of a particular one. They must not consider you just a software fellow who has never got his hands dirty with grease or changed a car Tyre himself/herself.
hangover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 21:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Brake retarder failure is far less critical. Retarder is a device that is fitted onto the prop shaft to provide additional braking force. These buses, not only Volvo, but certain models from our homegrown giants - AL and TML too have retarder as a standard fitment or offered as an optional upgrade - to improve braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks silversteed. Soon after this trip, I had googled and found out what exactly a break retarder was back then as it was something new for me too. .
Not necessarily it should be in propeller shaft. Incase of Volvo the GB itself has it and its completely different from the one's fitted in Propeller shaft.

For the brake failure notice, its not because of just loose connection or something to be taken light, its actually a warning message where in one or more of the associated brake system may have some problem. Its definitely not advised to drive in that condition as it may lead to some major failures.

And the bus being a AT what is the problem in driving in that position as anyway the left leg is redundant.
Anyway I dont support support that kind of driving.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:00   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
And the bus being a AT what is the problem in driving in that position as anyway the left leg is redundant.
Anyway I dont support support that kind of driving.
You're quite right about the comfortable sitting position. But also please notice his hands. They're completely testing on the steering. The bus is stationary.
hangover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 12:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Now this is even worse. The whole Brake ECU had failed in this bus and it was still being driven so. Couldnt ask driver how he could drive in such a condition since my stop had come and I only saw this when I went to the door. BMTC maintenance must be given a hard kick in the back for risking such stuff with public lives in hand.
BMTC Volvo - "Brake System Failure" Message-adobephotoshopexpress_df5403fa84614557848230d9115cec62.jpg
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote