Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 20th March 2016, 14:40   #1
Default Pod Taxis: Gurgaon invites bids

Global bids for Gurgaon pod taxis in April

NEW DELHI: Pod taxis, an idea with which Indian states have flirted for years, will finally debut in Gurgaon.
The National Highways Authority of India has laid the groundwork to roll out India's first personal rapid transit (PRT) network and will invite global bids for the project within the next fortnight. The pilot project will span a 13km stretch from the Gurgaon-Delhi border to Badshapur Mod on Sohna Road and is estimated to cost Rs 850 crore.

A project called the Metrino (in pic) -a PRT system in which pods are suspended from an overhead rail -has been under consideration for a while. Every pod can take up to five passengers. For the pilot project route, 16 stations have been planned, starting near Ambience Mall. A personal rapid transit (PRT) network is made up of small automated vehicles running at close intervals on a guideway with docking stations for passengers to get on and get off.While a pod can accommodate up to five people, there is also an option to hire an entire pod that will take a passenger straight to the destination, skipping the scheduled stops. The average speed of the pods is 60kmph.
Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 21st March 2016 at 11:47. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
virgopal is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 15:01   #2
Senior - BHPian
Default re: Pod Taxis: Gurgaon invites bids

1 Minute per docking station that carries 5 people & 30,000 people per hour - just does not add up , I think biggest challenge in such system will be people - management , looks ministers have not travelled in public system off late and have become used to Red beacon - priority setup. They should instead have more of metro / rapid trains . They still don't have a metro to Manesar or for that matter on this very route - Dhaula-Kuan to Hero Honda chowk which can take up lot of local load from NH8 in my opinion.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 16:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
Default re: Pod Taxis: Gurgaon invites bids

The problem with gurgaon is all sorts of fancy stuff being tried without working on the basics. There is business and jobs to be done outside of NH8 for god's sake!

Like TNT said above, you need a metro to manesar - a metro to NH8 via subhash chowk, or into old gurgaon.

or even simple buses to go from sohna road to golf course road. neither Haryana Roadways nor shuttl nor Ola Shuttle meets that need. Of course I'll drive my own car then.

EDIT: This is before one even comprehends the disruption on NH8 and the destruction of the expressway that will be caused. NO PLEASE NO!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote