Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 24th February 2017, 10:39   #511

Default Re: Boeing 777 - Pilot's Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
So I got my 787 type rating last week, complete with checkrides and LOFT. Took me 10 days, roughly 70 hours. It was a differences course, because the 777 and the 787 have a common type rating. When I first started flying the 777, I used to think that it was too automated, too computer controlled etc. But the 787 is a different beast altogether. Some significant changes that I noticed.
Conratulations. .

So are you going to move to the 787 roster temporarily/permanently? Last I heard, your operator is getting more 787s.
Ayesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 12:53   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I got my 787 type rating last week, complete with checkrides and LOFT. Took me 10 days, roughly 70 hours. It was a differences course, because the 777 and the 787 have a common type rating.
Congratulations!

As the 777 and the 787 have a common type rating, legally speaking, you could fly either already? So technically this is not a type rating, but more a transition type of training if I understand correctly?

Does it involve any actual flying in an actual 787, or all classroom and simulator?

More automation canít be helped I guess. Never mind, I still think itís always better to understand how it all works without the automation and have experience in that environment. Donít forget to pack that sextant!

But seriously, if they have a common type rating, the actual flying and handling must be pretty similar I would imagine. Still a yoke too, although I must admit you get used to the side stick very quickly.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 13:42   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I got my 787 type rating last week,
Many congratulations searchingheaven. Looking forward to hear more from you as and when you fly the dream-liner regularly.

Although too much automation is not good, some of them are welcome changes,like the replacement of the X-Feed with Fuel balance switch. However, i feel that Boeing will never go to the level of automation that airbus does. It still stands by its "Man first, Machine next" philosophy.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 15:56   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Comparing 777 and 787, I would rather have the 777.
Having flown in a 787 from DEL-NRT as a passenger (about 2 weeks ago) for what must be the 3rd time, and several times on the 777, I'd rather have the 787. It is so silent in the cabin! I have also flown on the A380 and I must say that the 787 felt a lot more silent and less vibration/turbulence-related-movement-effect filtered inside the cabin.

Also, the infotainment system was excellent. In comparison, the 777 drones a lot inside the cabin and I found it less refined the moment I traveled in a 787.

PS: which operator do you fly for, if you wouldn't have an issue in disclosing?

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 24th February 2017 at 15:59.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 19:07   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
I'd rather have the 787. PS: which operator do you fly for, if you wouldn't have an issue in disclosing?
Well the 787 is a better machine than the 777, at least from the passengers point of view no doubt. And it might even be better from a pilot's point of view as well. It just happens that I don't like the way it works. Apart from that no issues with the aircraft.

Regarding the carrier, I cannot reveal that due to non disclosure agreement. But if you have been following this thread closely, you can easily guess. There are lot of hints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Many congratulations searchingheaven. Looking forward to hear more from you as and when you fly the dream-liner regularly.
Well you guys can expect a 787 thread once I've spent some time with the baby boeing.

Quote:
However, i feel that Boeing will never go to the level of automation that airbus does. It still stands by its "Man first, Machine next" philosophy.
Yes, I gotta admit that. Even though it has a lot more automation, it still is not a Airbus yet. So I'll carry on with that silver lining in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Congratulations!

As the 777 and the 787 have a common type rating, legally speaking, you could fly either already? So technically this is not a type rating, but more a transition type of training if I understand correctly?

Does it involve any actual flying in an actual 787, or all classroom and simulator?

But seriously, if they have a common type rating, the actual flying and handling must be pretty similar I would imagine.

Jeroen
Yes, it's a differences training. But still, the certificate mentions the words "TYPE RATING". No actual aircraft experience till now. Will be starting my IOE(Initial operating Experience) in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
I must say that the 787 felt a lot more silent and less vibration/turbulence-related-movement-effect filtered inside the cabin.
Yes, in the sim, the handling is similar to the 777, albeit a bit smoother and polished, if I can say that. The 787 has features like autodrag(controls descent while capturing GS), gust suppression(777 also has but we are told that the algorithm has improved vastly) and cruise flaps(wing camber variation in cruise) etc which makes control inputs and the aircraft subsequently very smooth to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha View Post
Conratulations. .

So are you going to move to the 787 roster temporarily/permanently? Last I heard, your operator is getting more 787s.
Thank you. Not moving to the 787 now. I haven't completed my IOE checks and other formalities. Even if I did, it is difficult to move to a 787 roster, there is already an internal transfer backlog. As far as the new 787s are concerned, it's a long way off.

To be honest though, I am not looking forward to flying the 787 too much. I did this training due to strategic reasons.

PS: For those who are not active on teambhp, we have a small telegram group where we discuss aviation. Here is the link, please feel free to join. Link to TG group.

Last edited by searchingheaven : 24th February 2017 at 19:09.
searchingheaven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 12:08   #516
Senior - BHPian

An interesting video on flying the 777

Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:09   #517
Senior - BHPian

Been watching some real emergency landings, like the plane with the nose wheel turned at 90 degrees (LAX - JetBlue), or the plane with the left side undercarriage not working ....

One thing I wonder about is why do the emergency vehicles not station themselves near the middle of the runway or farther up, where the plane will likely come to a stop? I saw the vehicles stationed near the start of the runway where the plane will touch down, but the plane will most likely run along and stop either midway or at its normal stopping distance or most likely overshoot that and run the entire length of the runway (the JetBlue plane supposedly ran up 95% of the runway length).

Also saw a clipping from the movie "Flight" with Denzel Washington landing a plane with no hydraulics, all engines shot (why didn't they add snakes and a couple of hijackers too in the mix?) inverted and then just as they approach a field, turning the plane back downside up? Perhaps the director realized that it would be stupid to show the plane crashlanded upside down.

Can this ever happen that a civilian jet will be able to fly upside down?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 15:52   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
One thing I wonder about is why do the emergency vehicles not station themselves near the middle of the runway or farther up, where the plane will likely come to a stop?
My reasoning would be that the emergency vehicles wouldn't want to be the cause of any further problem than what the aircraft is experiencing, by locating themselves in the loci of points where the aircraft can make ground contact.

Quote:
Can this ever happen that a civilian jet will be able to fly upside down?
Yes and no. Yes, an aircraft can fly upside down as long as the limits of aerodynamic stress are not exceeded and the wings can create lift, probably by having a suitable (high) AOA. But AFAIK, many systems relying on gravity at least in part, would fail and the aircraft may not be able to recover.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 17:18   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
My reasoning would be that the emergency vehicles wouldn't want to be the cause of any further problem than what the aircraft is experiencing, by locating themselves in the loci of points where the aircraft can make ground contact.
That is a fair logic, but for cases where the nose gear has developed a problem, or the undercarriage is not deploying and the plane has to belly-land - wouldn't it make sense for the fire engines and other emergency crew to be as near to the aircraft's stopping point as possible?

I am not saying they should be on the runway, but seeing them all at the touch-down area just doesn't make sense to me.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 20:29   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That is a fair logic, but for cases where the nose gear has developed a problem, or the undercarriage is not deploying and the plane has to belly-land - wouldn't it make sense for the fire engines and other emergency crew to be as near to the aircraft's stopping point as possible?

I am not saying they should be on the runway, but seeing them all at the touch-down area just doesn't make sense to me.

You don't know where the plane might come apart. You have to fight fire from outwards inwards. So if it spill fuels which ignites you have to start putting it out where it started spilling and work your way to the fuselage. So the emergency services typically line up near the runway threshold and follow the plane down the runway.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 16:39   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Boeing 777 is a long range, twin aisle, twin-engine jet manufactured by Boeing.
Check this -> Air India plans to launch Boeing 777 flights on Delhi - Chennai sector
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/58574827.cms

Do you think this is a good idea? Will the jet be lugging around a full tank of fuel on such short distance flights?

Also, is there a difference between turnaround times of Boeing 777 and 737/A320? That is, time taken for cleaning the interiors, loading food & beverages, checking the aircraft mechanicals and baggage clearance.

Last edited by smartcat : 8th May 2017 at 16:48.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 17:27   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Do you think this is a good idea? Will the jet be lugging around a full tank of fuel on such short distance flights?

Also, is there a difference between turnaround times of Boeing 777 and 737/A320? That is, time taken for cleaning the interiors, loading food & beverages, checking the aircraft mechanicals and baggage clearance.
It will surely not lug around a full tank of fuel. Only the necessary amount will be carried

Yes, turnaround times can possibly increase. Boarding & alighting times will definitely increase.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 04:19   #523
BHPian

Is there any news on plans/ research going on to fly commercial planes using LNG?
norhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 18:45   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
It will surely not lug around a full tank of fuel. e.

Correct and the reason is very simple. Carrying fuel costs fuel. So typically a plane carries sufficient fuel for whatever flight it is going to undertake. The fuel planning will take all sorts of things into consideration, such as weather, winds, possible alternate destinations (in case you can't land for whatever reason at your intended destination. Fuel planning is partly governed by formal rules and regulations, company specific rules, sometimes plane specific requirements etc. At the end it's the captains call if he/she wants more fuel for other reasons as well.

In some region there can be huge difference in fuel prices between various airports. So company planners might work that into the equation as well. So sometimes they might fill up more then necessary just because it happens to be cheap and it would still give a financial benefit despite the extra weight penalty.

Not so much for commercial flight operations. But in the little planes I fly we were always on the lookout for cheap fuel. Within a few miles you might find airports with huge discounts. So often we made a little detour on the way home to fill up with cheap fuel! I had an app on my iPhone that gave actual fuel prices as you flew along these various airports. Very convenient.
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 14:21   #525
BHPian

Aviation fuel is probably cheap in the middle east, just like other petroleum products. So would an airline fill up excess fuel flying out of, say, Dubai? Would it make economic sense to carry extra cheaper fuel for a flight which last 4 to 8 hours?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote