Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 16th September 2016, 21:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Massive 240 ton Belaz truck in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
I got an opportunity to drive a 35 tonne CAT dumper and 85 Tonne BEML dumper in Singereni Coalfields in then A.P.( Near Kothagudem in khammam Dist), some 16 years ago.

That it self was a mesmerizing experience.
The response to the ignition key and the ease at which the steering response was just unbelievable.
Then comes the ease of driving. It was like a M800 with Autobox.
I was allowed to drive for only a KM though..

I really felt so proud to be a Mechanical Engineering sophomore then.
Now, I can imagine the fun this driver might be having.

Regards,
Maverick79

An uncle is the GM of operations there. I had the same exact experience at the same exact mine !

Except I was much younger than you and I sat in the lap of the driver .

The most interesting thing about the equipment is the dumpers are still not the unicorns in terms of size. The draglines are. During my last visit I had the chance to see the dragline, and it's apt to say they're moving mountains.

Unfortunately I never had the chance to snap pics of the draglines, but I know they're some of the most rare machines in operation in India.

One more thing that amuses me is nobody in India operates the Caterpillar 797, the bellwether 200+ ton dumper in India. Komatsu also has some nice dumpers in that range, but no takers in India again. So far I've only seen Terex and BEML.
D33-PAC is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 08:47   #17
BHPian

These trucks are huge by any standards. Guess Ukraine has the knack of building massive machinery. World's largest aircraft Antonov An-225 also belongs to Ukraine. It is significantly bigger than Airbus A380, which is world's largest passenger aircraft.

Last edited by gupta_chd : 17th September 2016 at 08:48.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 13:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
This is a 220-240 ton dumper being used by THRIVENI EARTHMOVERS at Polavaram, Andhra Pradesh
From the pictures, one is a 75302 (180-220 mt) and the other is a 75306 (220mt) model.
These trucks utilize an AC/DC traction (traction motors) and not directly driven by the engine, just like a diesel-electric locomotive. All the relevant information is available in the company website (speed, payload, turning radius and even the fuel rate)
And BELAZ is from Belarus and not Ukraine.

Last edited by A350XWB : 17th September 2016 at 13:24.
A350XWB is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 13:26   #19
BHPian

Massive machines! Wonder why most local or national media are not interested to cover such news. Would never have known about their Indian existence unless for our forum.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 21:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Engine
Type 4 stroke, direct injection diesel
Aspiration Turbocharged, Intercooled
Rated power @ 1900 rpm 1716 kW (2300 HP)
Maximum torque @ 1500 rpm 9054 Nm (This is 7 times the torque of the diesel engine on the Volvo B9R bus. )
Number of cylinders: 16 V-type
Bore x Stroke 159 x 190 mm
Displacement 60 lit
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
The proverbial question should still be asked!
"Kitna deti hai!?"
2.3K BHP - 60L V16?! My question would be what is the 0-100 time?

On a more serious note, I wonder how much investment this project has bagged. Is this a government project (pardon my ignorance!)?
nerd1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 21:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Belaz has a Service center here in Nagpur, yet to see any of those biggies. Till yet only spotted huge tyres.
agspins is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 00:38   #22
BHPian

You have to hand it to the erstwhile Soviet Union. Not as a political force, but definitely as a scientific and engineering force. With budgets which were a fraction of what they U.S. had - they put the first man in space, first satellite in orbit, they had a more reliable Soyuz re-entry module to go to Mir and the ISS than the discontinued American shuttle. Surprised they don't make good cars then. Clearly, it can't be for want of engineering talent - just market dynamics.
invidious is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 01:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Yes that's right. This is the largest truck in the world. I think there was a documentary on discovery, where one of these Behemoths was being driven by a lady driver. They even took an interview of hers in it but then it was long time back. So I don't recollect which model it was.

Yes, I too remember the Discovery reporting of this monster and when asked what's the FE in kpl she laughed and said something like, " we don't calculate it in Kilometer Per Liter but in Liter Per Kilometer , in this case it is something like 22lpk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
The proverbial question should still be asked!
"Kitna deti hai!?"
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 05:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
You have to hand it to the erstwhile Soviet Union. Not as a political force, but definitely as a scientific and engineering force. With budgets which were a fraction of what they U.S. had - they put the first man in space, first satellite in orbit, they had a more reliable Soyuz re-entry module to go to Mir and the ISS than the discontinued American shuttle. Surprised they don't make good cars then. Clearly, it can't be for want of engineering talent - just market dynamics.
They're definitely all that, and maybe even more since the USA had to build something like the SR-71 to escape the russkies, but even India has developed a 200 tonner. I forgot something phenomena they labeled in economics, law of comparative advantage or something. One does what one can at a lesser opportunity cost not one can't do. I know you're not comparing or lavishing excess praise, but they don't have a software sector either. I think during the cold war the entire bloc churned out a glut of highly passionate mechanical and aeronautical engineers so all these cool soviet toys may be remnants of that era.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/beml-l...est-dump-truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post

On a more serious note, I wonder how much investment this project has bagged. Is this a government project (pardon my ignorance!)?
These trucks are being used at a project site in Andhra Pradesh named Polavaram. The actual name of the project is called the Polavaram Project. It has national status because of its ability to bring irrigate large swathes of land and it's going to require roughly $3 billion to finish.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 18th September 2016 at 05:28.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 09:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Which currency you are quoting. $ (USD)? 5 Mn USD is ~33 Crores (Rs)..
Sorry, my bad. It should be 0.5 Mn. Please read it as 0.5 Mn. Could not Edit the post.

Last edited by rangarx : 18th September 2016 at 09:43.
rangarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 20:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is what you call 'Earth Mover'. The amount of earth this one could move is unimaginable. It must make great economic sense, having 1 truck and 1 driver do the job that would require 15-20 10MT payload trucks. BEML as far as I know still makes such trucks but not this big.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 13:55   #27
BHPian

That is hands down the safest mode of transport in India
motorhead16 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 09:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post

The Soviet Chaika and Zil Limousine Cars and GAZ Jeeps were also pretty formidable. So were their AN32 Aircraft, Turmansky Jet Engines, Tupolev Aircraft (quite Concorde-ish), IL 76 Aircraft and so on. They never had the publicity nor the budgets of the Americans but yet, they developed and delivered some fantastic engineering products.

Sadly, in matters of history, it is always the fellows who "won" the war that get to write the history of it and publicise it too.

So a vehicle like the Jeep became known as the 4WD that won the war and other such similar descriptive hyperbole. Whereas the Germans, they had some really fantastic things, like the DUKW, the KubelWagen and so on, all of which were every bit as capable.
Also, for example, there were some absolutely formidable inventions of the Germans in WW2 which came a bit too late to save the day for them, but which were absolutely superb all the same - the ME 262, the Komet Aircraft and a lot of other things...many of them beautifully showcased at the various Aircraft and Military Museums in the world.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 19:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead16 View Post
Perhaps not for whatever, or whoever, it hits!
Ponkermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead16 View Post
Probably vehicle of choice if one is ever going to be caught amidst tsunami waves while on road.
Gotham_City is offline   Reply With Quote