Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 5th October 2016, 10:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Experience: British Airways Concorde Simulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
By the way, how's the situation back home ? Do you happen to see refugees running along highways, trying to climb onto trucks ?

I'm not European, but I do empathize with the situation there. I'm going to be politically incorrect and will go as far as to say many of these refugees are questionable.

Do you think the Netherlands will become a France too ( North African satellite) ?
No, the situation around Calais is unique and is purely do to the fact that people want to go to the UK. There are a lot of refugees all over all European countries and that does has it challenges, but nothing like the situation in Calais. (or Mediteranean countries which is probably even worse)

Not sure why you think so many refugees are “questionable”. Just people aspire to have a better life, is pretty normal I would think. If people (whole families with kids) are willing to to take substantial risk that just shows how desolate the situation is in their home country.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 10:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is such a wonderful thread.
Concorde has ALWAYS ALWAYS been such an engineer's delight seeing it.
I cannot imagine what you may have felt "feeling" it.

Regarding the point about Blackbird vs Concorde.
The Ramjets of Blackbird make it belong to another world altogether. No comparison at all!
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 11:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Regarding the point about Blackbird vs Concorde.
The Ramjets of Blackbird make it belong to another world altogether. No comparison at all!
Again, I think both these planes were unique and had some unique features. Comparing them is a bit apples to pears as they were built for very different purposes. One was a Mach 2 commercial jet, the other a Mach 3 military (CIA) intelligence gathering plane.

Contrary to popular belief (and many posts on the internet) the Blackbird did not have ramjet engines. Partial ramjet might be the best description.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 12:52   #19
BHPian

The SR71 was a fuel tank with wings, feat of engineering but unfair to compare it to the Concorde as Jeroen is at pains to point out. A commercial airliner with supersonic speeds is one of a class. Sadly, with greater awareness of CO2 emissions and the like, we will never have a Concorde again. Perhaps the flying butt dirigible is the way ahead for a luxury air cruise.
digitalnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 12:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Apology, somehow my story line got a little mixed up. So the last post showed the trip back home, whereas I hadn’t even finished with my Brooklands museum visit. But I’m sure you will manage.

I hope you enjoyed this little story. It was certainly a very enjoyable experience for me. I love driving my cars on these long high speed journeys. Spending a day in a museum like this is just wonderful. Flying the Concorde was just a hugely interesting and entertaining experience.

Jeroen
Amazing write-up and photos Jeroen. Loved your narration, it was almost like a virtual tour of the place. Will try to visit this place next time I am in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Also please try to be unbiased, I know European nationals like you have underlying nationalistic or regionalistic sentiments with respect to superiority of your creations over those made by your Nascar watching cousins across the pond. The SR-71 is as American as it gets I guess !
If you've followed him on Team-BHP for a while, you would know that he is as unbiased as one can possibly be.
searchingheaven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote