Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 10th November 2016, 15:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Volvo launches its 9400 Intercity coach range

Marking its 15 years of its operations in India, Volvo Buses today unveiled its new 9400 intercity coach range at Busworld 2016 which opened today in Bangalore.

The new 9400 range of buses will be manufactured at Volvo Buses' modern plant near Hosakote, Bangalore.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  77.6 KB
Volvo launches its 9400 Intercity coach range-2.jpg
Volvo launches its 9400 Intercity coach range-3.jpg

The new range includes the Volvo 9400, 12-metre-long coach powered by the new 8.0-litre engine sourced from VE Commercial Vehicles’ Pithampur plant .

Volvo Buses says the new 8.0-litre engine is the result of its efforts at localisation of key aggregates and highlights its capability to leverage its local manufacturing competence to meet market potential. The body in all Volvo buses is 100 percent localised.

Meanwhile, the high-selling 9400, 13.6-metre, multi-axle coach gets a boost with the engine being upgraded from a 9.0-litre unit to an 11-litre powerplant.
Also, the 9400 14.5-metre coach sees its 11.0-litre engine upgraded to meet upcoming emission norms (which come into effect from April 2017) as also improvements for enhanced performance.

Source
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 16:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Volvo launches its 9400 Intercity coach range

But the configuration seems to be 2+1 instead of the current 2+2. Will it be standard across all variants or it can be customized. Are the new coaches narrower?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 17:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
But the configuration seems to be 2+1 instead of the current 2+2. Will it be standard across all variants or it can be customized. Are the new coaches narrower?
I think this is just for the display model. Even now you can opt for 2+2 or 2+1 seating configuration.

Nice to see the seat belts for each seat Now its for the people to wear it and use the safety feature.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 17:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

I think the single seat column should have opted for the belts to come down from the left shoulder as putting the buckle in a slot flush with the wall may make it a tad difficult for some passengers (read those with pudgy fingers etc).
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 17:56   #5
BHPian

Auto transmission standard for these buses? All the new Volvos in play in the BLR-CHN sector seems to be using the i-Shift models only

Heard vines that Volvo is only selling i-Shift models and no manual ones anymore.

Hoping KPN buys a few of these. Their Volvos are in tatters mostly.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 10th November 2016 at 17:58.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 19:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Auto transmission standard for these buses? All the new Volvos in play in the BLR-CHN sector seems to be using the i-Shift models only

Heard vines that Volvo is only selling i-Shift models and no manual ones anymore.

Volvo stopped selling Manual Transmission B9Rs last year. The last Manual Transmission B9R to be sold was to ICEE, Kunnamkulam. All buses sold after that were iShift. As of now, only the B7R was available in Manual transmission. With the upgrade of B7R to B8R, its to be seen if they'd sell it with Manual transmission or with the Volvo iShift.
binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 00:25   #7
BHPian

It's great to know that the new Volvo B11R has a 410hp powered engine. Now, can someone tell me if the new VRL and SRS Volvo B11Rs (that have already hit the roads past few months ) are 370hp powered or 410 ?? I travelled in the new VRL Volvo B11R three times on Bombay--Belgaum and Belgaum--Bangalore routes and each time the acceleration just seemed outstanding. So, are these buses already coming with 410hp powered engines or these ones got launched only today ??
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 10:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volvo launches its 9400 Intercity coach range

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
It's great to know that the new Volvo B11R has a 410hp powered engine. Now, can someone tell me if the new VRL and SRS Volvo B11Rs (that have already hit the roads past few months ) are 370hp powered or 410 ?? I travelled in the new VRL Volvo B11R three times on Bombay--Belgaum and Belgaum--Bangalore routes and each time the acceleration just seemed outstanding. So, are these buses already coming with 410hp powered engines or these ones got launched only today ??
No. Not Yet. The new 410hp variants are expected to be in the market only in early 2017. The ones with VRL and SRS are the 370hp variants.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 09:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I think this is just for the display model. Even now you can opt for 2+2 or 2+1 seating configuration.

Nice to see the seat belts for each seat Now its for the people to wear it and use the safety feature.
As said this is a show model to exhibit the various options that can be configured. Otherwise we can have 2x1, 2x2 as per your convenience. Also this shows Volvo as a company can sell 2x1 directly, which means they have regulations ready for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Volvo stopped selling Manual Transmission B9Rs last year. The last Manual Transmission B9R to be sold was to ICEE, Kunnamkulam. All buses sold after that were iShift. As of now, only the B7R was available in Manual transmission. With the upgrade of B7R to B8R, its to be seen if they'd sell it with Manual transmission or with the Volvo iShift.
Volvo haven't stopped selling, rather it was more of price correction and market response. You still have option to choose manual transmission.
New 12m range will be available only with manual transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
The newly launched ones are BS4 products and will be officially available from April 2017 pan India. For states in which BS4 is already implemented it will made available in couple of months on need basis, though customer will still prefer older models.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 09:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Volvo haven't stopped selling, rather it was more of price correction and market response. You still have option to choose manual transmission.
New 12m range will be available only with manual transmission.

If you noticed my post, I've written about the B9R. The B9R isn't available in manual transmission - it was stopped in October 2015. Since then they've sold only iShift, and only iShifts are available. The market has been asking for manual now.

The B7R was available only in manual transmission, and going forward even the B8R (which eventually replaces the B7R) will be available only in manual transmission.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 14:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
.... With the upgrade of B7R to B8R, its to be seen if they'd sell it with Manual transmission or with the Volvo iShift.
The previous post raised ambiguity about Manual or I shift in B8R 12m products and I have clarified it saying they will be available only with Manual transmission.
And with respect to MT option being stopped in B9r, I still stand by my point.

Coming to new products 14m - 9400XL and 15m - 9400PX variants we will see more commonality in chassis systems like suspension, power train, electrical's, fuel systems etc and for the first time the 14m(13.8 exactly) coach will have 11L engine. This is a good move by Volvo and now the customers will find it easy to maintain, when they have these two products in their fleet. Earlier there wasn't much similarity in the components and system level between these products.
Good day ahead for Customers.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 18:48   #12
BHPian

I heard that Volvo has launched the B8R series.. Is it the same as the one being discussed here?

BTW, the side profile of the bus looks extremely elegant!!

Last edited by WAM-4 : 18th November 2016 at 18:50. Reason: Typo
WAM-4 is offline   Reply With Quote