Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 28th December 2016, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Default Bollywood stars in commercial vehicle ads

Last night, while watching TV, I saw a commercial with Ajay Devgan. It was for Mahindra Blazo, which is the new HCV truck series from Mahindra. Today while reading the news, I saw that TATA has inked an agreement/contract with Akshay Kumar for their CVs. Now as far as I remember, I had never seen a celebrity in an ad for a truck in the past, definitely not an A ranking Bollywood celeb. Here are the links for the news-

http://www.exchange4media.com/advert...azo_63677.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/56199889.cms

The ad I was referring to, in case any of you have not come across it

While I can understand celebs endorsing cars because fanboys will buy a particular car just because his idol is the brand ambassador for it, but how true would this hold for CVs? Isnt CV sales a lot lot different from cars and bikes? What's your take on this?
centaur is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 11:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Bollywood stars in commercial vehicle ads

Mahindra has negligible market share in Medium & Heavy Commercial Vehicle segment. So it makes sense for Mahindra to bring Ajay Devgan into the picture - to grab attention of potential customers. Note that the ad has a very clear and loud message about fuel economy. This helps.

If a manufacturer already has a significant market share in a particular CV segment (Eicher for school buses, Volvo of inter-city passenger buses, Tata & Ashok Leyland for heavy trucks), then Bollywood celebrities endorsements might not help much.

Related threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sell-cars.html (Celebrity Brand Ambassadors - Do they help sell cars?)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ar-makers.html (The Curious case of TV Advertising & Car Makers)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...van-damme.html (Volvo Trucks Ad - Split by Van Damme)

Last edited by smartcat : 28th December 2016 at 11:31.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 15:10   #3
BHPian

Tata Motors has just roped in Akshay Kumar as its brand ambassador for its commercial vehicle business unit. It seems that the CV-brands endorsement market is just about opening up. I personally believe this is an excellent move by TATA Motors and would reap good benefits.

Here is the link to a TOI article:
turbo1787 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 15:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Mahindra has negligible market share in Medium & Heavy Commercial Vehicle segment. So it makes sense for Mahindra to bring Ajay Devgan into the picture - to grab attention of potential customers. Note that the ad has a very clear and loud message about fuel economy. This helps.
So Manoj Bajpai for Mahindra Jeeto and Ajay Devgn for Blazo? Or was that Jeeto ad a one-time thing between Manoj Bajpai and Mahindra.

libranof1987 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 15:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Note that the ad has a very clear and loud message about fuel economy. This helps.
Completely agree with you but what am still thinking is, they could have given the same message without having a leading bolly celeb in the ad. That would have saved them a few crores of the endorsement as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
Tata Motors has just roped in Akshay Kumar as its brand ambassador for its commercial vehicle business unit.
Here is the link to a TOI article:
Have already posted the same link in my post along with the details

This is what actually got me thinking and urged me to start this thread.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 12:59   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Bollywood stars in commercial vehicle ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Last night, while watching TV, I saw a commercial with Ajay Devgan. It was for Mahindra Blazo
Ajay Devgan is a long-time brand ambassador of Mahindra. He also owned the first Scorpio. IIRC, his was a Scorpio Petrol which suffered miserable reliability.

Name:  2002062501840401.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  18.1 KB
Image Source
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 21:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand Ambassador's for Commercial Vehicles is more of brand building. There need not be a tangible benefits immediately. That's the reason, stars endorse the brand rather than Product which is common in cars.
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 21:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra can increase their market share in this segment if they hire a consultant who will hopefully ask them not to name their products JEETO, HAARO and BLAZO. I wonder when this "O" obsession will end.
smartcat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ajay Devgan is a long-time brand ambassador of Mahindra. He also owned the first Scorpio. IIRC, his was a Scorpio Petrol which suffered miserable reliability.
True and that's absolutely understandable because it's a car. Akshay Kumar (untill now), SRK etc. all are ambassadors for either cars or bikes

Quote:
Mahindra can increase their market share in this segment if they hire a consultant who will hopefully ask them not to name their products JEETO, HAARO and BLAZO. I wonder when this "O" obsession will end.
True that.

Probably such names are used so that the rural folks find it more appealing and home like than others
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The only odd ones from thePV lot is NUVO SpOrt and Thar..
In CV Tourister , Alfa , Loadking
Mahindra continues the "O" series in Farm Equipment as well. New tractors Yuvo and Arjun Novo.
ranjithrnath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote