Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 21st May 2017, 09:12   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Major design flaw in the Mahindra Swaraj Tractor – 735 FE. Coolant leaks everywhere!

I had a talk with a local tractor mechanic in Rajgurunagar near Pune.
What he said is 'This is a common issue. Most usere remove the thermostat and it gets solved'.
I personally do not agree with this, as the engine will not be achieving operating temperature at all, as it has a highly overdesigned cooling system.
One answer to this is to drill a hole through the valve plate of the thermostat, so that there is more bi-pass. It may take longer to achieve operating temperature, but the current occurance whic is localised overheating of cylinder head with rest of the engine remaining cold will be prevented.

To confirm that the source of your problem is the thermostat, try running the engine without the thermostat for just one day.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 20:50   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Major design flaw in the Mahindra Swaraj Tractor – 735 FE. Coolant leaks everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
I think you are not aware there is no head gasket in today's tractor's.
Would like to know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
One answer to this is to drill a hole through the valve plate of the thermostat, so that there is more bi-pass.
This is necessary so that there is some flow of coolant at all times. Else the hot coolant never reaches the thermostat, which does not open, which leads to local overheating, which leads to superheated steam pockets, which leads to ...

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote