Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 28th May 2017, 14:51   #16
BHPian

Default re: Luxury train Tejas Express vandalised on its maiden journey

Well, its a start.
In a country which has gotten used to poop being distributed on the tracks, this is a leap forward.
But, the railways, also need to have some common sense.
I guess the need is for a safe, clean, comfortable travel (priority in that order), anything else is gold plating.

What is the need for an infotainment system, nowadays, most people have smart phones. Why didn't they just create an app + wifi in the train to access the infotainment system.
And if they had put up functional CCTVs (at a fraction of the cost of the infotainment), it would go a long way in ensuring safety and also serve as a deterrent to people mucking up the compartments.
whitewing is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 15:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its about indifference. Its not about poor/rich. I've come across many rich people who believe its their right to roughly use things they've rented, if it gets damaged, they claim regular wear & tear should be presumed and insinuate renter/seller about poor quality.

IMO all we can do is to concentrate on making people aware. Do be lenient, instead of showing disdain for the whole country or its people. There are black crows everywhere, in every country.

P.S. : This reminded me of a Facebook post by my classmate about the people in Metro Trains in France, and that it made her feel that humanity was a mistake.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 18:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Well, its a start.
In a country which has gotten used to poop being distributed on the tracks, this is a leap forward.
But, the railways, also need to have some common sense.
I guess the need is for a safe, clean, comfortable travel (priority in that order), anything else is gold plating.

What is the need for an infotainment system, nowadays, most people have smart phones. Why didn't they just create an app + wifi in the train to access the infotainment system.
And if they had put up functional CCTVs (at a fraction of the cost of the infotainment), it would go a long way in ensuring safety and also serve as a deterrent to people mucking up the compartments.
+1 to that.

Even I agree with your point about the need for a safe, clean, comfortable travel. Since they have already taken the initiative to provide free WiFi across major stations, now then can consider providing that service inside the Train as well.

Instead of providing LCD screen to each passenger, probably they could have had done some arrangements like Roof installed TV's what we find nowadays in most of Volvos/Scanias plying on road. Its very sad to see the Taxpayers money getting wasted in such experiments by the government.
Bageera is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 19:55   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
This is why we cannot have good things in India.
Cannot agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
they should have introduced such trains in the south or far east first, nothing would have been broken or trashed.
The general cleanliness of the cities and towns in these regions compared to the rest of India is a good indication of the mentality of the people. The higher literacy rates in these places is also a factor.

Quote:
I suspect even Delhi or Punjab would have done better in this regard.
Not so sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Introducing it in South may have fared better; and a controversial view that I hold is that in general things in India deteriorate as one goes from South to North. Including cleanliness in temples. Gurudwaras are the noble exception to this of course.
Nothing controversial about your views. Facts are facts. We need to learn to accept the facts and change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
The train has CCTV cameras, so those who stole the headphones and broke glasses could be tracked easily. RPF is there to handle matters legally.
By just equipping the trains with amenities and no framework for catching miscreants this is bound to happen. Once there is fear that if we are caught we will be punished, no such activities will occur.
I read in a article where railway officials dismissed this act by saying these are teething problems and will be resolved. When railway itself is not serious about this issue then what is expected from people?
This needs to be done on a priority basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Bombay Goa is very lucrative route.

Will not be surprised to find some private bus lobby at work.
I seriously doubt this could be a factor.

Being a Goan, I am really irritated to hear this news. Even though the incident is limited to the train, it is the state and the people that have got a bad name. We generally take pride in stating that we have a relatively good Civic Sense compared to many other places. It has got a lot to do with the quality of tourists. We get a lot of good tourists (like you guys) who drive down or take flights or even trains. But anyone who has visited Goa must have seen the rowdy type of tourists. We call them the Sumo/Trax Tourists (No offence meant to any owners of these vehicles here). Most of them come in the above vehicles and others in buses or trains. They will sleep on footpaths, cook on the roadside, litter the place, ogle at women, get drunk and in general create a nuisance. These are the type of people who could be responsible for this incident.
Not to ignite the North-South debate but most of the North Indians visiting Goa are Honeymoon couples. I doubt they have the time and energy to indulge vandalism
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 22:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

The biased newspaper like Hindu has done what most of the media is known to be capable of, giving it some sensationalism.

But every one seem to forget that after 70 years of Independence the one of main mission of the Govt is Cleanliness, Toilets, etc which highlight a lot how much we have developed.

Irrespective of North or South, we Indians are famous for our Etiquettes worldwide, so No point in blaming each other, but still if one wishes to get enlightened, have a two minute chat with Janitor on any Metro Airport, he or she will enlighten you about the toilet manners of people.

Coming to having entire luxury train, I would like to specifically mention that there is another train by name Jan-Shatabdi Express which runs EXACTLY at the same time as Tejas. So if one wish to spend less, can travel on that. So Govt can't entirely be criticised for that. But I agree with No need for LCD part though not 100%.

The root cause for majority of the problems is No fear of law and the prevalent lethargic law enforcement in our country.

One more point I would specifically like to mention that there is a good possibility of damage, scratching, etc would have done by children too. But our mentality is that we judge the premiumness of any brand by the purchase experience of that brand. If the sales representative allows our kids to create havoc, then that brand is excellent, if one politely requests us to have a watch on our kids, its called arrogant.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2017 at 13:55. Reason: Post edited. Lets not make any regional statements please.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 22:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post

I seriously doubt this could be a factor.
The theory of a private bus lobby behind this incident is unlikely to be true. However, it is not unheard of. For instance, a few years back, the Kerala RTC launched a few Volvo AC buses to Bangalore. The ticket rate was a fraction of the rate charged by private bus operators. On it's very first trip, stones were pelted and it's windows were damaged. The culprits are said to be goons paid by the private bus operators.
Vishid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 23:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Nothing controversial about your views. Facts are facts. We need to learn to accept the facts and change.
And what exactly are those so called facts?
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 15:35   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Luxury train Tejas Express vandalised on its maiden journey

I would rather say its habit that last long.

Railways are a charity run by Govt for those so called economically backward classes (the real poor and rural folks are much more humble and civic than most of us) who rarely find difference between their own and public property. A notion on their mind states the Railways are not for us young generation who fly around in a whim and idiots pay for platform tickets.

This is exactly why it happened. How can someone thought of putting the luxury to it? Are the white collared foxes who works 24/7 in a A/C room and pays a lot of tax to govt started to takeaway the only property that belongs to them for generations? Let those idiotic foxes burn their money on a/c buses and fly around and let us make our kids stand near the window and pee. Isn't it democracy which means live and let live? Let them belong to their 'CLASS' and let us belong to ours.

Those are people who finds a new sparkling new car on road and drive a nail across it or spit out in a moving car. These people are those 90% of population that you find on a railway station anytime of a day who has no business of being there. They happily occupy the waiting lounges and empty benches leaving those who need them desperately stranded.
These mentality has been imprinted on their mind for generations and expecting it to go away just with introduction of a luxury train with high ticket price is blasphemous.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 16:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am surprised at the surprise being shown regarding this vandalism incident. It is wrong for us to accept that a luxurious train should be kept luxurious but it is acceptable to spit or throw garbage on roads whenever we want. I don't agree with any of the arguments about education and money etc. In a country like ours the only thing that can bring things in control is the stick approach. And the stick needs to be thick and long. Nothing else is going to work. There is no regard for law left, forget respect for it. Put CCTV cameras in ever nook and corner of the same train and issue spot fines for anyone found damaging the equipment. Within a minute you will see everyone following the rulebook.

And the south might be marginally better in terms of absolute literacy levels but there is not much difference beyond that figure.
Absolutely agree with you 100% boss

'Danda' (stick) with hefty fines and even shaming them on national television (primetime) is the way forward

What will be harsh today will eventually bring about a culture of respect and adherence tomorrow
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 16:39   #25

It is ridiculous how Indians treat public property. Be it vandalising trains or defacing historical monuments. Unless strict measures are taken to counter it, this vandalism will continue unabated.

The need of the hour is installing CCTV cameras all over the train and levying spot fines. If that doesn't stop it, arrest the vandals. The question of poor vs rich doesn't arise nor does the question of North vs South. Its a problem that has been ignored way too long and needs strict measures to counter it.
sanmish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 16:55   #26
BHPian

Angry Re: Luxury train Tejas Express vandalised on its maiden journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishid View Post
HI everyone,
After reading a lot, in both the printed and electronic media, about the Tejas express and it's infamous first trip, I thought of starting a new thread on the topic.

For an introduction, Tejas express is a new, luxurious train of the Indian railways. It has modern amenities including e-leather seats, onboard infotainment, bio vacuum toilets etc. On the mechanical side, it can achieve a maximum speed of 200kmph, and is provided with steel discs for the required braking ability. The first train operates between Mumbai and Goa.
*clip*

However, the train has been vandalised by the very first passengers. It returned to Mumbai with broken glasses, stolen headphones and damaged LCDdisplays.
Would it be tough for the railways to identify who were occupying which seats on the train? Strict action is to be enforced on those people to ensure that it serves as a deterrent to anyone who thinks that they can resort to vandalism and hooliganism and get away with it!

If such behaviour is let to pass, it would only ensure that poor services are the order of the day!
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 17:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Would it be tough for the railways to identify who were occupying which seats on the train? Strict action is to be enforced on those people to ensure that it serves as a deterrent to anyone who thinks that they can resort to vandalism and hooliganism and get away with it!

If such behaviour is let to pass, it would only ensure that poor services are the order of the day!
No. It won't be difficult for the railways. The train, actually have CCTV cameras in it's coaches! But I don't think anyone will bother to spend their time on it. If the officials were cautious enough, this wouldn't have happened in the first place. In my opinion, all the furor will settle down soon, and no one will care about the incident anymore then. Vandalists will get away with it.
Vishid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 17:27   #28
BHPian

I'm not surprised by the vandalism at all!
Most of India grew up in a culture where public property was no-body's business.

While I appreciate Suresh Prabhu and his work quite a bit, I believe the money would be better spent at more fundamental amenities. How about pay-as-you-go trolley's at the railway station, cleaner railway stations, interconnect between railways and other transport (metro/flights/integrated bus-terminals) etc.

Our survival instincts have also made many of us thick-skinned - unfortunately many of our countrymen need a longer stick to feel the pinch.
The same folks don't really mess around with the CRPF at airports, do they?
Get every nook-and-corner covered by CCTV and penalize on the spot.
The liberals may cry "draconian", but they all love our cities to be modeled on Singapore where even carrying chewing-gum carries a heavy penalty.
anurag.somani is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 19:16   #29
BHPian

A solution to the headphone stealing problem can be that the attendant issues headphones against PNR numbers/seat numbers at the onset of the journey and takes them back at the end. Failure to return results in a spot fine.

Something that is food for thought is that travelers are always provided with pillows, blankets etc. in AC coaches and in rare cases people flick those. I am assuming that the people who booked themselves in the Tejas Express are the same people (economically) who travel in AC coaches in trains (given the fare). Then why were these headphones stolen in this case and the pillows and blankets are not stolen regularly?
subhro1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 19:20   #30
BHPian

No matter what law you make the same will be enforced and observed differently in different nations.
We may make stricter laws but they will not be observed. The Law Enforcement is nothing but a reflection of the people. We are in a nation which is of the people, run by the people and for the people (best democratic structure know to mankind so far). But, still out nation is in this condition because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.somani View Post
Most of India grew up in a culture where public property was no-body's business.
The only possible solution rightly explained below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The only answer is education and development from the grassroots, an investment in a very long term process that no politician will make because it takes too long to pay off and does not help winning the next election. So we will continue with abysmal quality of candidates for public office, that will behave the same way when elected no matter what party they belong to, and India will only progress at the rate of its lowest common denominator.

Last edited by bijuiser : 29th May 2017 at 19:22.
bijuiser is offline   Reply With Quote