Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 20th October 2017, 22:19   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bullet Train in India - What it means for the country?

Interesting debate here, I understand both in favor and against. Personally I am in favor of better means of transportation but I do agree that it shouldn't be this or that choice. We should fix existing infrastructure at the same time as we build new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
We haven't. Even the British, as colonial masters go, were not as harsh as others.
Slightly offtopic but this is what our poor education system has done. I don't know in which world acts like Jallianwala Bagh massacre and the British forced Bangal famine deaths (estimated 2.1 million deaths) among many others are considered not Harsh.
Technocrat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 06:32   #197
Senior - BHPian

For harsh, see the history of Germany in the 1930s among first its own dissidents, then with 6 million slaughtered Jews, and then with conquered people, especially in Russia alone that lost 20 million people in WW2. Then check out Japan in China at about the same time and the rape of Nanking, and then among the nations it conquered in WW2. Which is why Gandhi said that if violent war could ever be justified, the one against Germany was; he never said that even once about the British. See how few people that were jailed by these countries left the jails alive and compare that to the British record, for another example.

Similarly, for harsh, read about the Belgians in the Congo - even the South Africans with apartheid were nothing compared to that.

Jallianwala Bagh also led to an outcry in Britain at its time and an official inquiry, that had no equivalent in Germany/Japan that saw state commissioned deaths exceeding its scale on a daily basis for many years. And while the Bengal famine was no doubt a great sin, there is a difference between sins of omission and of commission. I also suspect that the local zamindars would have been complicit in it. And why aren't Indian leaders making a fuss about getting an apology from Britain for it, when they are doing a lot of that for the much smaller Jallianwala Bagh tragedy? Perhaps because death by famine continued post independence? I don't know, but could that be a contributory reason?

Colonialism was always cruel to the exploited countries, but there are degrees of harshness there. Which is why I said, and you have quoted - "not as harsh as others".
Sawyer is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 18:05   #198
BHPian

The logo for the bullet train has been finalized. Fittingly, it is a cheetah designed by a student of National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.

The logo -

Name:  nhsrcla.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  25.3 KB

The news article -
http://www.businesstoday.in/sectors/...ry/262500.html
SourabhSuresh is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 18:16   #199
Senior - BHPian

Very nice logo; I just wish we did not need to have so many alphabets in the names of our government organisations/companies.
Sawyer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 20:48   #200
BHPian

Bullet train or not, can we ever expect our public transport system to approach the level of perfection that the Japanese have, like this for instance?
Quote:
A Japanese railway operator has issued a deep apology for the "tremendous nuisance" caused by a train departing 20 seconds early, surprising even a nation renowned for both punctuality and politeness.

The Tsukuba Express train linking Tokyo and the capital's northern suburbs pulled out of Minami Nagareyama Station at 9:44:20 instead of 9:44:40.

"We deeply apologise for causing tremendous nuisance to customers," said the Tsukuba Express company.
Source: NDTV
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote