Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 12th October 2017, 11:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Prevalence of Force Travellers in the hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Are you referring to the hydraulic assist Master/Slave cylinder arrangement? if yes, then this is the norm with almost all four wheelers.

If you meant the Pneumatic (Air) assisted Clutches, then I am not too sure about them.
Request CV experts to share insights on the topic.
Just like how you have a vacuum powered booster for the brake, some commercial vehicles have it for the clutch too. Hence the question. How the clutch is actuated is obviously hydraulic for the TT.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 11:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The college in which I did my engineering had a white board TT with upgraded seats which was used by the secretary to travel places for some CSR activities and also when multiple board members had to travel around. However, it was in the name of an educational trust and hence I guess it was possible. But why is it that a personal registration cant be done on the TT?

And most of our office TTs are brought in Hosur in TN and registered in KA. How does that work out? Is there any savings on tax or price? As far as I understand, it is more cumbersome.
TT white board was possible till a few (3-5) back. I remember even full page ads in the newspapers as spacious family vehicle with a picture of the dad at the wheel and the mum and kids lounging around in back; but that many years ago.

The dealer in Blr said that white board for TT was stopped a few years back. Why? Because the govt did not want people buying them as private, i.e. white board vehicles and misusing them for commercial purposes. That way govt loses out on taxes. While this makes a lot of sense, a blanket ban like this adversely affects folks like me who have a legitimate need.

The dealer in Blr also suggested that I buy a white board second hand one and do it up and assured me that they are very durable & reliable and that I should not worry about going for a second hand one. Well, I did try my luck on olx, quiker etc, but in the last many months of searching, I found only one white board TT in Blr and that too the same vehicle was advertised by 3 different people with 3 different names in 3 different locations. They had not even bothered to gloss over the number plate! Btw, one will find plenty of yellow board 3350 wheelbase ones in quite good condition for 3-6 lacs (even less!), which is less than half the price of a new one.

The TT you have mentioned, it was probably registered those many years back when it was possible to do so. And in case it is a new / recently registered one, could you please check with your college how they managed it?

Last edited by Musa : 12th October 2017 at 12:02. Reason: Spelling.
Musa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 12:09   #33
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I had horrible experience in Tempo Traveller during one of the family trip Delhi-Manali in 2013.
Well, it was the month of May and hot like hell all the way till Kullu. The Traveller could not take the load of Air Conditioner.
Firstly, the AC is no good anyway and we had to switch it on and off and sometime even keep it off for more than 10-15 minutes.

The Traveller made huge cry and sound if the AC was left ON during climbs.
The second problem is the narrow seat but we had spare seats and could manage.

Last edited by Wanderers : 12th October 2017 at 12:13.
Wanderers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 12:16   #34
BHPian

My brother's wedding happened on a hill station in a hotel. The main entry to the hotel was jam packed as there were multiple events happening in the hotel that day. So we chose another path to the hotel that had very steep incline in the middle just after a switch back. My uncle's i10 could not make it. I was driving a Logan petrol 1.6 with me and dad. I had a very hard time. Had to slip clutch and made it with great difficulty. There was a also tempo traveler in the party. Climbed with no sweat. That to with 10 people on board.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 12:55   #35
BHPian

TTs can be registered as a white board vehicle. I have seen a few of them, mainly the flat roof 3050mm wheelbase. Force also showcased a flat roof 3050 mm wheelbase vehicle with features like individual reclining seats, individual AC vents, sunroof, stuck glasses, reverse camera and DVD player.

Also, the 2.2 liter engine is offered only on the 3350 12 seater vehicle. It is made only after the booking is confirmed by the dealer. All other variants of the T1 ie Traveller 3050,3350,3700 & 4050 come with the archaic 2.6 engine which was upgraded to BS IV. The wide body vehicles have a 3.2 liter 5 cylinder engine.

I have driven the Traveller 2.2 and 2.6 across long distances and have found that the 2.2 is a peach of an engine. The 2.6 is rather meh.

Having interacted with a lot of fleet owners, they love the vehicle but apparently, the service and company responses leaves a lot to be desired
MadiMaama is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 13:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMaama View Post
TTs can be registered as a white board vehicle. I have seen a few of them, mainly the flat roof 3050mm wheelbase. Force also showcased a flat roof 3050 mm wheelbase vehicle with features like individual reclining seats, individual AC vents, sunroof, stuck glasses, reverse camera and DVD player.

Also, the 2.2 liter engine is offered only on the 3350 12 seater vehicle. It is made only after the booking is confirmed by the dealer. All other variants of the T1 ie Traveller 3050,3350,3700 & 4050 come with the archaic 2.6 engine which was upgraded to BS IV. The wide body vehicles have a 3.2 liter 5 cylinder engine.

I have driven the Traveller 2.2 and 2.6 across long distances and have found that the 2.2 is a peach of an engine. The 2.6 is rather meh.

Having interacted with a lot of fleet owners, they love the vehicle but apparently, the service and company responses leaves a lot to be desired
Thats some good insight! However, the force website claims that the 3050 is available with the FM2.2 in the Widebody and Flat roof guise, while the 3050 Super seems to be offered only in 2.6.

The website also claims 1975mm width on all the 3050 models, including the Widebody. Probably a typo?

Interestingly, the larger 3700 and 4020 are only offered with the old 2.6.
ashwin1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 19:26   #37
BHPian

TT as it is called , is an integral part of daily travel for lot of people.
New TT's have good ergonomics, huge driver seat and comfortable passenger seat.

Windows are bigger and they now come in CRDE 2.6 engine.
Gear lever is just like swift and there is now a huge plastic housing for that lever( It is not exposed like earlier ).

I mostly get to travel in 17 seater TT, which roughly costs 13-14 lakhs.
The interior has 3 strips of LED lights which can be bought as accessory from Force for 15k.

Rental car companies should try renting camper homes, the only problem I see is safe camping sites.
silverado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 22:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMaama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Thats some good insight! However, the force website claims that the 3050 is available with the FM2.2 in the Widebody and Flat roof guise, while the 3050 Super seems to be offered only in 2.6.

Interestingly, the larger 3700 and 4020 are only offered with the old 2.6.
I didnt understand the nomenclature. The FM 2.2 is rated at 130BHP and 300NM of torque while the 2.6 is lesser at 91BHP and lesser torque. However, they market a 'Super' version with the less powerful FM 2.6 than the other way round. What is the idea behind giving lesser power for the bigger variants and supposedly higher end variants? Does the cubic capacity tell a different story than numbers on paper? I have seen both variants in my office fleet. The ones with the sealed windows come with 2.6 which would require the AC to be on at all times. Should they not provide more power and torque for such variants?

The extended versions are eyesores on the road. There are a few schools who have this and so does some companies which have leased them. The width looks so horrible and the axle has been stretched in such a way that the front tyres have negative camber and the weight sags the wheels down, seeming like it will break any time and settle on the road. And which is the engine that we get in this version? 3.2L five cylinder was also from Mercedes? Thats a surprise for me.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 08:04   #39
BHPian

The older BS III versions of the wide body Traveller used to get the 2.6 liter engine. BS IV ones get the 3.2 liter 5 cylinder engine which is nothing but the 2.6 liter plus one cylinder.

Also, FML have introduced a new wide body Traveller on the 3350 wheelbase. I have seen it and it is a totally no frills version with 2X1 seating, no AC and has a jack knife door. This 3350 wide body has the 2.6 liter engine
MadiMaama is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 15:07   #40
BHPian

OK my 2 cents, from a different perspective. There is a office shuttle service actually called "Shuttl" which operates in NCR. Comprised mostly of 18 seater Travellers. Now due to restrictions they are all CNG BS4 for Delhi region operation. I am a daily user of the services and my observations:

1) Mostly comfortable when new.
2) Most are with retrofit AC units. Performance varies
3) Suspension gives up (becomes noisy/thuds, squeaks, rattles and bumps, cracking noises) within weeks of overhaul. Gets weird roll, too! I believe some local jugaad after removing some original part.
4) The engine: HATED by drivers. Its a 2600cc 80HP, 180NM CNG mill. Torque peaks at 2000 rpm and the power band is 2000-2400. So, on Delhi flyovers, which is every few hundred meters, driver has to slip clutch and use first gear to even start rolling. And in bumper to bumper traffic, it's worse. A typical Gurgaon-Ghaziabad 45ms trip takes 3 hours to complete in rush hour traffic, and most drivers complain of fatigue, leg pain and loss of concentration at the end of the trip. They would rather use the diesel, but, alas! In fact, in May/June peak summer, I have witnessed multiple cases of over heating (in different vehicles, almost all of them a few months old), seizure (in one case, later confirmed from driver), and AC trips.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 14th October 2017 at 15:10.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 15:15   #41

I've seen the TTs plying as public transport in such remote parts of J&K where even 4x4 gypsies and boleros refuse to go. Even I've traveled in them during a 20 day long tour to Himachal and J&K. They're fairly comfortable and fast but drivers invariably turn off the AC on inclines. I guess they're not at all willing to engage the very short 1st gear, as mentioned earlier.
Knowledgeable drivers take pride in its durable Mercedes engine, low maintenance and maneuverability. However, I believe these vehicles are so popular because of lack of competition in the category.
Reports of good performance of such a heavy vehicle with low bhp rating baffle me nonetheless. Somebody kindly explain.
gatsby_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby_great View Post
I've seen the TTs plying as public transport in such remote parts of J&K where even 4x4 gypsies and boleros refuse to go. Even I've traveled in them during a 20 day long tour to Himachal and J&K. They're fairly comfortable and fast but drivers invariably turn off the AC on inclines. I guess they're not at all willing to engage the very short 1st gear, as mentioned earlier.
Knowledgeable drivers take pride in its durable Mercedes engine, low maintenance and maneuverability. However, I believe these vehicles are so popular because of lack of competition in the category.
Reports of good performance of such a heavy vehicle with low bhp rating baffle me nonetheless. Somebody kindly explain.
There are mostly two engines at play here. One is the older 2.6, and the other is a 2.2. The 2.6 is a lethargic 80hp motor with peak torque of just under 200nm coming in around the 3800rpm mark. The other is a 2.2 with 130hp and 300nm at 2800rpm. The 2.2 is the one that makes a good impression, apparently its based on the same engine working in the entry level Mercs. Coupled with its low weight from the monocoque chassis, this makes the TT pretty adept at handling whatever the road throws at it.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 16:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
If anyone can help in finding a way to register the TT as a white board in Bangalore (and if that is impossible then in Chennai / Hyderabad / Calicut) then please, please, please reach out to me.
I heard from a very close relative of mine that his friend is getting his Traveller registered with white plates tomorrow in Kerala. It is a new one with 9 seats, air conditioning and ABS with EBD.
I will try to find more details in coming days.
dileepcm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote