Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th January 2007, 04:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If you can afford it, and you really want to sell your car, I would STRONGLY recommend buying a Safari. Nothing, and I repeat nothing, gets respect from cabbies/Tempo Travellers/autos/bikers like a Safari.

I Second that... For 8L on road...i think its a good bargain..
also a 4x4 is better if you are really frustrated by the cab drivers...

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 10:11   #32
Team-BHP Support

So, this means that all Bangalore based T-Bhpians are gonna trade in their curretn vehicles and go in for Safaris !! i am sure TATA wud love that !
Maybe some dealer shud start dealing with tanks here... they wud be amazed with the number of takers .
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 10:30   #33
BHPian

I feel really sorry for what has happened. After a couple of such incidents with cabs and other such vehicles, I am using more of my bike for office commute.

At least you should be happy that AOL guys are talking with you. I guess you will have to deal more and more with AOL people and if possible try to escalate this to their US operations, if in case you manage to get any contacts of them.

I guess it will be a good thing to carry a pocket digital camera in the car. Bunch of snaps taken during such incidents could help. Esp when u want to talk about this to media guys like TOI.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 10:43   #34
BHPian

i guess some1 wanted to do something about educating people about traffic rules but the call centre cabs seem to be a bigger danger.

sometime back i even contemplated starting a thread on th lines of news papers in dubai posting the pics of all pics flouting traffic norms & forwarding the URL to the traffic police dept so that if they are proactive they can treat those pics as proofs & start issuing challans to those disrespecting people who make our roads no safer than a goose in the open season. but i dont know how our forum will react to something like this, what is the possibility of us (TBHP) getting in the legal hasseles etc.

but i surely do believe that if police takes up this in a positive manner this can surely help them in punishing the guilty drivers.

Last edited by naveendhyani : 17th January 2007 at 10:46.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 10:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Finish it in minutes!

Hey Wheelie,
The fight you put up with him is absolutely commendable!
The dude will at least remember that there are people
who don't go down without a fight! And atleast for some months
(being very optimistic) he will not try to side swipe someone the way he did to you!
Please bear in mind, the amount of money we get for
damages is not the full amount. even if someone opts
to get our car repaired it will be in some hopeless
garage with minimum work professionalizm. Not to mention
the shoddiness of the finished job.
See for most of us, Satisfaction of our egos is a vital part here!
Nobody side swipes and gets away with it.
Unfortunately, when this happened to us, we caught him
at the nearest signal where he was trapped behind a pool of cars,
My father got down, slapped him whilst he was in his car, swore at him
and let the others at the signal know what cab driver was made of.
Unfortunately for wheelie, he was alone, while we had , My father, my younger bro, and myself. So it was easy.
See these cabbies have nothing to lose as the cars are not self owned.
They can absocond to another State even!! After some major incident.
The contractors have contacts, and beleive you me when i say, there
are contractors who have threatend of dire consequences to the
company admins, if the contracts we not renewed.

In India, these days, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting
poorer and they have been powered by local politicians, to do what they
want. Now a days in Pune, there have been corporate election campaigns
and these gentlemen move around in trucks and jeeps out of the vehicles
capacity and start eve teasing at signals. The poor are going to literally
floor the pedals (in every sense of the word) to get thier dreams true.
Getting an Indicab is like getting a military tank in their hands.

Of course, there are Samaritians who help poor stranded
people (eg. Mumbai rain wash ) who offer comfort to
people. But these are very few in number.

The best thing to do here is try to pull the keys out of
their slots and don't let them use thier phone.
This is easy. Please believe me These guys are
scared of the educated lot!!

Yes, Discretion is the better part of valour when you
are out numbered.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 10:50   #36
BHPian

Default Update

When the car owner, Hemanth, came to meet me yesterday he said that the supervisor for Janani, Nagendra, had indeed come onto the scene and checked with the driver if everything was ok and left. Himanshu who is one of my colleagues who arrived there when informed said that one person had come on a Yamaha RX motorcycle with a Kannada number plate must be the one. He was the one who seemed to have given instructions to the other drivers to take down my car no., threaten me and then leave. Since neither Himanshu nor I can follow Kannada very easily, this is what we can surmise. So it appears now that he is the real culprit (rowdy) behind the goondas and the reason for the threat to my live from the cab drivers.

AOL Facilities Manager Bhavesh has been avoiding me. When I call him he just says he will call me back, that he has to talk to the vendor (5 days later he still has to talk to the vendor????). That is the response from multinational companies which claim to do business ethically.

Thanks to you all for your advice. yes, I will be writing to the press too (TOI). I will also be filing a supplementary FIR with the new information about Nagendra

PS : Pls edit out the names if I am not supposed to post.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 11:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If you can afford it, and you really want to sell your car, I would STRONGLY recommend buying a Safari. Nothing, and I repeat nothing, gets respect from cabbies/Tempo Travellers/autos/bikers like a Safari.
He he, v1p3r, looks like you have gotten addicted to the Safari
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 11:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Since neither Himanshu nor I can follow Kannada very easily,
This is another big problem. In yet another incident, a auto without brakes, hit the rear of my friends flair. A big crowd gathered and one fellow, who has got nothing to do with the incident, started to pass instruction and was hell bent in getting the autowalla out of that place. We 3 of us couldn't do much. But some how managed to get hold of a kannada speaking friend and dragged that auto to police station. We did register a complaint in police station. now that auto which i guess wouldnt had a proper FC for years, will be stuck in that police station if not for this accident but for other reasons.

Generally people try to bully the "car" guy out... but if you are persistent with your stance, then generally things will fall in line, that if you have enough time and patience.

But then, in yet another incident on the airport road, once my friend riding a bike, got thrashed by the 4 drunken indica cab guys. He later spent couple of days in some kind of medium level-ICU in manipal. His nose was in really bad shape...
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 12:07   #39
BHPian

Exclamation Menace to be curbed!!

Its high time the teambhp'-ians at b'lore or in India to take this kinda issue with concerned ministers and law! So much of similar crimes happens to teambhp-ians itself!!!
Atleast few of us wud be having good raport with ministers who can curb this menace and make sure that this is dealt severly! Mostly, these idiot cabbies have connections with small big level politicians and underworld who help them out in thier favor during such situations. This is an increasing phenomenon these days and dangerous too!!! Guys...unite and take the issue to the concerned ministry either alone or collectively-along with the company managements you work with, and ensure that this is curbed as early as possible!!
"all the best guys"....!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 12:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about you car Wheeliej. But good show on your part! I think that you SHOULD stand up to these *****. But, its also true that it would be easier on you if you have some support.
(IMO)Looks like most of the B'lore guys face the same problem... why don't you all come together and stand by Wheeliej?? This could be a start! I mean we T-BHPians are a huge community are we not??
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 12:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default Solution

All Cabbies should be married with one kid
and no major fellonies on road.

More than 3 incidences of rash driving noted ...License Revoked!!!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 12:40   #42
BHPian

The court and law here are really dumb towards this kind of incidents.Better settle with AOL itself dude!In cochin the goondawaalas are the private bus drivers.So far nothing has been done about it by the authorities.
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:00   #43
BHPian

Default Update

I have sent an email to Rajiv Ahuja in AOL. Lets see if he takes any action at all.

I have also sent the following email to TOI Editorial.

Dear Editor,

I was unfortunate to have my car being hit by an AOL taxi driver on Jan 12th in Whitefield. Instead of apologising for the mistake and offering to pay for the repair, the driver, Madhu, proceeded to call his taxi driver friends and soon a group of 20-30 drunk taxi drivers arrived and started abusing me, a lone woman. Later one person, suspected to be the supervisor of Janani taxi company, Nagendra, arrived and encouraged those taxi drivers to take down my car number and they all left after threatening to kill me off in an accident. The police were of no help at all. Traffic police arrived almost 1 hour after I had placed a call and the police station where I have filed a law and order complaint actually gave my phone no. to the taxi owner.

I now understand that one cannot hope for a decent, peaceful life in India even after paying a whopping amount in taxes each year. India is poised, sure. But for what? Another Pratibha? Another Nithari?

If you care to highlight the plight of citizens, have one of your reporters get in touch with me for more details on the incident. Else I will assume that TOI is only interested featuring in those activities that feature the Bachchan parivar and Bollywood. There is no point in writing about me after I have been killed in an accident by these goonda / rowdy elements. I am POISED to take on the Goondas. Are you? Will you support me?
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:10   #44
Team-BHP Support

Excellent writeup, wheeliej.
Lets c if this letter gets any coverage in the paper or not.
TOI is usually active in such things. So, fingers crossed, n waiting.

Wud have added to the spice if u had mentioned how smart the cops were. To them : Honda + Whitefield = Whitefield Honda

OFF-TOPIC : Between, what is the basic level of intelligence required to become a cop? is it below common sense even?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:15   #45
BHPian

Good move wheeliej. If possible get it in to at least one kannada daily as well.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote