Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th January 2007, 14:25   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was unfortunate to have my car being hit by an AOL taxi driver on Jan 12th in Whitefield. Instead of apologising for the mistake and offering to pay for the repair, the driver, Madhu, proceeded to call his taxi driver friends and soon a group of 20-30 drunk taxi drivers arrived and started abusing me, a lone woman.
How do you know his name is Madhu?

Quote:
Later one person, suspected to be the supervisor of Janani taxi company, Nagendra, arrived and encouraged those taxi drivers to take down my car number and they all left after threatening to kill me off in an accident. The police were of no help at all.
What proof do you have that it was him, do you have witnesses to these threats

Quote:
If you care to highlight the plight of citizens, have one of your reporters get in touch with me for more details on the incident. Else I will assume that TOI is only interested featuring in those activities that feature the Bachchan parivar and Bollywood.
You might have cheesed them off before thay have even considered responding to you.

I know there is a lot of anger in you, don't use it to trip yourself up, think hard on the consequences/ implications. Fight back by all means but think first
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
How do you know his name is Madhu?

What proof do you have that it was him, do you have witnesses to these threats

You might have cheesed them off before thay have even considered responding to you.

I know there is a lot of anger in you, don't use it to trip yourself up, think hard on the consequences/ implications. Fight back by all means but think first
I asked him after we had stopped. he said it was Madhu Mahadevappa

Yes, I do. My colleagues (Himanshu is one of them) arrived and these threats were made after that.

If they are cheesed off so easily, they wont be running a newspaper. people are always provoking them.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:38   #48
BHPian

In the media, I've heard good things about M.A Saleem (DCP, Traffic for east zone). Writing to him might help.
Email address: dcomeast@bcp.gov.in
Phone: 22860787
(Source: :: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Contact Us ::)

Last edited by Su-47 : 17th January 2007 at 14:40. Reason: Edited to correct fonts that got messed with copy-paste
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 15:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
If you care to highlight the plight of citizens, have one of your reporters get in touch with me for more details on the incident. Else I will assume that TOI is only interested featuring in those activities that feature the Bachchan parivar and Bollywood. There is no point in writing about me after I have been killed in an accident by these goonda / rowdy elements. I am POISED to take on the Goondas. Are you? Will you support me?
I agree with ajmat, i think the last para was not required. It appears closer to a blackmail rather than asking for support.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 15:15   #50
BHPian

Default Update

Ajmat and kkr2k, Upon reading the email again, I agree that it provokes without any value-add.

Am happy to say i have received the following response from Rajiv Ahuja

Sunita,
At the very onset please accept my apologies on behalf of the organisation for the rude behavior you had to face.It is unacceptable to be subjected to harassment and/or intimidation.While it is extremely difficult logistically to get drivers go through a complete psychological evaluation,it is our endeavor to continously try and sensitize our driver community.Going by this incident,its obvious we failed somewhere along the line.
Please give me a few days to investigate the matter.I shall call/mail you shortly.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Regards,
Old 17th January 2007, 15:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

The response is a step in the right direction. There is a clear admission of failure as well. Let's hope this yields something positive.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 15:44   #52
BHPian

Felt very sorry readiing the incident and I truly admire your audacity to handle the situation well. Having got the mail from the top brass of AOL, lets hope that things are proceeding in the way, we all wanted. I would like to reassure that we all will be supporting you in the best ever way we can, to make sure that such miscreants think twice before commiting similar crime in future.

Wondering, if T-BHPians can collectively handover a grievance to TOI and other concerned authorities of Police / Corporation (I still believe there are a few good guys left in them) ? Atleast we being at a good strength, sharing some righteous thoughts, can well try to make some diference? Atleast a try??
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 17:01   #53
BHPian

Default 1091 Women Helpline...

Wheeliej,
Thought this should be of a little help for you, If the Drivers are still calling you up just call this No and inform the police online. They'll keep the information confidential.

The Bangalore City Police has initiated the women helpline named Vanitha Sahaya Vani (Women helpline). Any person can dial to telephone No.1091 in respect of any Women in crisis situation. The volunteers and women police personnel work from 8 am to 8 pm on this helpline to provide the following services:
  • Telephone counselling
  • Immediate rescue of women in crisis through trained volunteers and police
  • Short stay home
  • Family counselling
  • Rehabilitation
PS:This was taken from the net people.
Thanks,
../Mega
mega5918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 17:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please give me a few days to investigate the matter.I shall call/mail you shortly.

Regards,
This will be passed on to the AOL employee who takes care of Travel division. Driver will tell his own version of story vouched by the AOL employees, who traveled in that trip. And Iam sure they will defend their cab agency to their top brass.

Atmost a warning will be issued to the cab agency, which is more important and the driver will think twice before behaving like that in future. One more instance of escalation will certainly have an impact to the cab agency.

Quote:
and soon a group of 20-30 drunk taxi drivers arrived and started abusing me, a lone woman.
Does the incident happened next to their office or they came traveling upon call from Madhu?

20-30 drunk drivers- I doubt that
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 17:45   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Does the incident happened next to their office or they came traveling upon call from Madhu?

20-30 drunk drivers- I doubt that
They came travelling; some were passing by and stopped since they were not ferrying anyone

if you see my detailed note (at the beginning of this post), you will see that I said some were drunk; Kumar was most certainly reeking of alcohol.

the incident occurred on the road leading upto ITPL (about 5-7 mins away)
Old 17th January 2007, 17:59   #56
DRC
BHPian

Drunken driving in itself is a serious issue for AOL and any other ITES company. Shouldn't this be delt with. The employees themselves will be in dire risk!
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 18:24   #57
BHPian

If you want an effective thing to be done,contact Mr Ravi Belegere who runs Hai Bangalore newspaper,

He also host's a T.V serial named Crime-Dairy at 10pm on E-Tv,he minces no words and and is very popular.

Get in touch with him and if he agree's,watch the fun.
Desert fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 18:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

WheelieJ i admire your guts and the way you have handled the situation. We need more people like you to make this country a better place to stay in. We all are with you.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 20:14   #59
BHPian

Very sorry to hear about this incident. It leaves a painful memory and it adds to it when the struggle to come out of gets bitter. Wheeliej please leave it at filing an FIR and then follow up by writing to higher authorities. I think it will be a good idea to bring this to the notice of CNN IBN/NDTV and get them make a new feature about bad call centre cabbies. We can join in this.

I recollect few incidents in the past related to the cabbies here in chennai.

Incident 1: My friend was driving his Ikon and suddenly this van performs a tight overtaking manouver making him cut further towards left in panic to avoid his front right getting damaged and in the process he rubs over a cyclist to his left causing the person to fall down. Due to this his left side doors also get some dents and scratches. My friend just noted down the van number and got down to help the cyclist. The cyclist managed himself though he had some injuries and bruises. He called me and I was on my way to office in the same road. Once he informed of the van number and the direction and position i just turned back and tried to pursue the van guy. He was on the way driving as much rash as he could cutting off people out of the road. My friend also got into his Ikon and chased the van. Meanwhile i caught him and made stop. That van is like the typical unauthorized ones that take people from point A to B at some random rates. Somthing similar to the share autos that run throughout chennai. The guy pretended to stop and the passengers started abusing me for stopping them during their busy morning commute. I didnt give a damn.

The driver was like he will just move further left and then drop the passengers and will talk to me. But he eventually escaped and went faster. Once again I had to chase him down and now joined by my friend. We just to the front and back of him and stopped him. Now the driver started abusing us. There was a police checkpost so i was quick to get a cop to the site. After arguments the driver said he has to drop the passengers 4 stops from there and after dropping he will come back. The cop also said OK and got the cleaner guy come and sit in the checkpost. We waited for nearly 30 minutes and tried to call up their owner whose number we got from the driver. That guy was totally not responsiveness and upon threatening to file a case he said he will come to the site.

And to our surprise he came in a sumo with 10 guys. The driver also with them. Their case was that my friend didnt know to drive and was driving irresposnibly and they were right. Suddenly the cleaner guy who was sitting like a duck so far also said that my friend was talking over cellphone (so smart!) and that is why he hit the cyclist. They had one oldman in khakhi pants and said he is some kind of head constable that they knew. I had a big argument with one aggressive guy who was like suggesting they did not do any wrong. I said f... off you were not in the scene for which he said i was also not in the scene. After a big argument and pulling couple of more friends to the site we made them come to the ford show room and agree to the expenses and thus the problem was solved. But it wasnt easy to come to a settlement.

This is to mention how arrogant these cabbies are and the gunda and cop support they have.

Incident 2: Once I was going home by office cab early in the morning after a night out. Just 2 kms before my house the cab stopped. Because there was no fuel in the car. The driver was very apologetic and begged not to escalate this issue and that he will lose his job. He caught one auto gave money to the auto driver and asked him to drop at my place. I didnt want him to pay but still he paid for it.

This is to mention how afraid these cabbies are if they are hired by a properly organized cab firm.

Incident 3: While driving back from office one day I saw a ambassador cab zipping fast and cutting lanes and so close to hitting other cars. I saw the number in the rear windshield and called that and informed about this rash driving cabbie. They called me back after enquiring to say that the employee of my company who is inside the car has asked the cabbie to drive fast so that he can be in airport on time for this flight. Seems he wanted to travel 40 kms in 30 minutes!

This incident is to tell sometimes the passengers also are the reason for such incidents. I know from my small town experiences (where i grew up) that people prefer a private bus over another because he saves 10 minutes in covering 60 kms. One guy used to run that distance in 1 hr 10 mintues and the preferred one in 1 hour! How stupid. I have also heard about instances from people who are proud about their appointed driver or cabbie who can do magic by covering distances in unbelievable time! Sometimes employees also want the cabbie to reach their home fast during late night so that they can get more time to sleep. Pity them all!

At least at corporate level they can ensure that such stupid things dont happen by hiring decent companies and drivers to ferry their employees. I believe some companies do. But others dont. Media is the best way to make people take notice and react to such incidents and plant some sense among passengers and drivers. Positioning cameras at many places and taking action based on the video clippings on people who beat the rules will be effective i believe. The hidden eye is more powerful if it is used properly by the cops.

I am happy that my company sends one security officer together in the last set of cabs leaving in the night around 11 PM if there are female employee in those cabs.

Last edited by LandCruiser : 17th January 2007 at 20:16.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 20:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Positioning cameras at many places and taking action based on the video clippings on people who beat the rules will be effective i believe. The hidden eye is more powerful if it is used properly by the cops.
Positioning Cameras is a very good thing if they are of any use.
I happen to read in one of the threads that the video recording is not taken as an evidence w.r.t traffic. Can someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I have seen in another thread that around 30 cameras being installed in mumbai. Mumbaites can throw some light on this whether there are used for booking erring riders or drivers.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote