Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 16th January 2007, 16:03   #1
BHPian

Default Goondaism by call center taxi drivers

As someone said in another post - it had to happen sooner or later. I was returning from Brookfields to ITPL on Friday evening and at the right turn at the EPIP entrance, a Tata Sumo driver (AOL call center taxi) rashly tried to overtake me from the left to execute the same right turn and hit against my car because he took too tight a turn. My spotless/scratchless black beauty sat there wedged against the PVC strenghtened side of the Sumo. I got off from the car to survey the damage and from there it seemed that the headlight assembly had gone.

One extremely insensitive AOL lady employee told me to reverse my car so that they could go since they were getting late from work. I took off on her. Much as I was tempted to slap the taxi driver as he smugly looked out of his window and spoke on the phone, I restrained myself. I noted down the taxi no. and called the traffic police call center no. and asked for a traffic cop to come there. Since it was peak-hour, one of the other passengers of the taxi suggested that we move away to close to the Indian Oil petrol pump. Thereafter the taxi driver tried to make a quick get-away but i managed to get him to stop. The taxi driver informed his passengers that he had called for a relief vehicle and told me that his supervisor/manager was on the way and i informed him that the police was on the way. I also called a couple of my colleagues. The aforesaid insensitive AOL woman employee then proceeded to opine that the 'damage is not so bad'. I took off on her again and she was left muttering something about 'respect'. It is only when one has paid for something thru their own pocket that they should opine about any damage to it. What about the months that I have driven carefully to avoid any such incident? When I looked carefully, I found that the bumper was scratched alongwith a small portion of the side panel. There was no dent in the car. The damage was not much, I admit, but what happened next was shocking.

In the meanwhile, instead of the supervisor/manager of the taxi company arriving, a whole host of call center taxis (some were from AOL), AND some of them were drunk, started arriving and the drivers were in a very aggressive mood and abusive. One of them (another AOL driver) claimed to be the owner of the taxi and when i asked him for the taxi papers he refused to show it; so i told him to move on, but he only got more aggressive. When my colleagues arrived the taxi drivers became more aggressive and started abusing them as well. They forced the other taxi driver to leave saying that they would take care of things (inspite of me reminding him that the police was on the way). After this taxi driver left, one of the other taxi drivers exhorted the others to note down my car no. which they did, upon which all of them duly noted down my car no. and left after threatening me with dire consequences.

The police took about 45 mins to arrive in the traffic (they had no clue where this place was). They asked me which car during one of the phone calls and when I replied 'Honda City', they proceeded to Whitefield Honda. That was the explanation they gave me. Can you believe it? In any case, they arrived after the place had cleared (thus re-inforcing the old Bollywood joke that the police always arrives too late ) and advised me to also file a law and order complaint.

I have since been in touch with AOL and have also filed a 'law and order' complaint in the Mahadevpura police station. The 'owner' of the car came to meet me this afternoon to make me withdraw the criminal complaint. he also came with another taxi driver types who was getting very aggressive, telling me that my complaint was baseless, that i was making a mountain out of a molehill and such stuff. btw, the police gave my phone no. to this car owner. Can you believe that?

Should I let the taxi drivers get away scot-free after threatening me, my life and my property? Should I wait to become the next case-file/statistic after the late Ms Pratibha? What gives these taxi drivers the right to threaten any citizen of the country after clearly being in the wrong? Should I now sell my car (i.e., incur a loss of 1-2 lacs), buy myself a new car just to feel safer/anonymous while driving around in this city? Am I not entitled to feel safe from goondas who are masquerading as taxi drivers and who have terrorised the entire car owning community in the country? Just who is responsible if one of these taxi drivers manage to knock me off the living list one fine day? Should I have walked away? These are some of the questions that are bothering me. I am feeling quite scared.

When will the multinational companies contracting these taxies ensure that the taxi drivers are sensitised (especially gender sensitisation) towards the other citizens (whether drivers or pedestrians)? All of them spend money in training their employees. Are the taxi drivers not their 'employees'? Shouldnt they be trained on how to deal with situations such as accidents and the correct procedure to follow instead of following a mob mentality?
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

If possible do what I had told you about during Sam's house party. And to those charges add endangerment to life. And see what happens.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 16:11   #3
BHPian

Glad to see someone standing up to these cretins! Not a day goes by without a narrow escape at the hands of these ruffians. I hope you're able to pursue the case against this guy and hopefully get some justice. More power to you!
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 16:19   #4
rks
BANNED

My philosophy in such matters is to compromise and move on. No point in confronting these characters because they have nothing better to do than make your life miserable. But on the other hand, if somebody wants to change the status quo and make the world a better place, then these guys must be held accountable and made to pay the price for their negligence.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 16:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about your incident Wheeliej but this is part & parcel of our driving lives. I would advise you to file another complaint with the police stating that the taxi owners & his goons are threatening you with damage to life & property & have even threatened you upon their visit.

This will make things more serious from the Police's end & also try & meet a senior police official if possible regarding this threatening. They would be much more receptive to your complaints & would ensure prompt action.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 16:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

The Sumo will always be central evidence if anything happens to you. I do not think that you will be killed over the incident although it may not seem like that at the heat of the moment. Get the press involved as they seem to be more effective than the police.

What do AOL say / After all, they are responsible for the behaviour of their contractors on ITPL premises
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 16:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

One of the hazards of development in a developing country.
Now it is the turn of the taxi mafia.
Wheeliej, since i dont know what you are & how much you can take, i would advice you not to get physically involved in this, in the sense that do not run around, but do all that you can from your office & at home, write letters. did you take a photo of the incident ? camera phones are a blessing in these situations. never mind if you didn't. keep writing till you get a proper response. i know you are all upset now. do not in any way let this affect your personal life. just get on with it.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:11   #8
BHPian

Well, I went across to the AOL office the same evening and they were very pro-active. They re-called the driver immediately (he had taken off on another assignment) and said they would pay for the damage. Various officers of theirs have called to say we would like to meet me, but nobody has turned up yet. They are trying to see how they can minimise the no. of drivers they will need to take away from duty (so their ops dont get affected). What they dont realise is that if they dont take this seriously, neither will those uneducated drivers who will only get encouraged to repeat this type of behaviour again and again.

Does anyone here have the email id of Maneesh Dhir or Rajiv Ahuja from AOL India? Can you please PM it to me?

Last edited by Wheeliej : 16th January 2007 at 17:13. Reason: forgot to add the last para
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Guys, what would be the ideal thing to do under such a situation? Ofcourse, we all can say, move on with life, but arent we giving in to these cabbies who literally make the road a living nightmare?!!! This episode would only make them all the more adamant thinking that if they could get away with this, they can pretty well get away with anything they do. We have had another thread wherein a member forced the cabbie to the police station, and the cops asked him to forgive the cabbie saying he was after all only an employee....!!

Wheeliej's experience and the exact location he mentioned just reminds me that this is the same route i travel to work, though i get the car along only occassionally. Do any of the members on this forum know anyone from the top brass from the police where we can take up such genuine concerns? To the cops, this is just another pile of added rubbish.... in Bangalore, when they cannot guarantee safety to an indiviual's life, how can they bother about cars being damaged !!

Its the utter frustration which makes me write all this, knowing very well how helpless we all are in such situations. As some friend of mine pointed out, the only way out is to leave the country and move on to more peaceful and law abiding places. That i would do sometime, but would that be before something irreversible happens?!! God forbid.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wheeliej, since i dont know what you are & how much you can take, i would advice you not to get physically involved in this, in the sense that do not run around, but do all that you can from your office & at home, write letters. did you take a photo of the incident ? camera phones are a blessing in these situations. never mind if you didn't. keep writing till you get a proper response. i know you are all upset now. do not in any way let this affect your personal life. just get on with it.
Wheeliej, Even I would also advice you to do the same. Dont get yourself too involved in it. Its been a blessing that your NHC was almost untouched apart from the broken Headlight and a minute scratch. The more important thing to understand here is what do you want from all this?

My belief is that we cant just change the mentality of these people by running after them. If they have these contacts with police, they can use it everytime and with everybody. I believe, these people will not change even if you get a positive resolution [there is a possibility to get the compensation for your breakage though] from the Law.

But I have seen and observed that these things soon become a headache and we tend to feel that it had been better not indulging into these things. Its their daily routine to fight against these sort of cases and normally they are better in that [gundaasism]

If you are a person living with family, you will have to consider all pros and cons of these issues which interferes with Police.

I would suggest you to get in touch with the AOL Admin team and write to their HODs and if someone from AOL is there on BHP, ask for his help to get compensation from them.

This actually happenned with one of my friends who had met with an accident in Gurgaon with one cabbie from Daksh and it was all the cabbie's fault. With due follow-up from the Admin team from Daksh on the same day, I managed to squeeze out Rs 1500 from the Daksh Transport team Supervisor [read thekedar] after 2 and a half hours of arguement with the driver and his team. The driver was taught a good lesson before the intervention of the supervisor though, as he was making big statements with abuses on arrival of some of his co-fellows. The cost incurred in getting the car repaired was Rs. 2200 along with the claim. So the total loss to my friend = Rs 600 + NC bonus + depreciation.

My point here is If you can get what you want, out of the court and with due realization to those people, try not to get too involved with the police and contact AOL. That seems to be the best way out.

Good Luck!
Mendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:28   #11
BHPian

i agree with you Mendi. in delhi the call centre cabs are a daily headache for other cars on the road.!!
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:43   #12
BHPian

Wheeliej,
please think of taking them to task only if you have time, energy and support to do so. I am one of those that think of teaching them a lesson, but add practicality to it. If you are a busy and sensitive type, do not even think of taking them on. They are not worth a place in our minds.
sreenivass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:45   #13

Wheeliej Only thing i can tell i is just get a local newspaper to get involved as company rep is the first thing they dont wanna sacrifice
Try not to talk with the taxi driver or any of those rowdies

i hope some banglorian can help u with the no.s of the above two persons

best of luck and try to be patient as in india thats how it works .
shebz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendi View Post
I would suggest you to get in touch with the AOL Admin team and write to their HODs
This is what you have to do.

These travel agents are at the mercy of Admin guys for renewal of their contract. When this was taken to AOL admin, these travel agencies will try to sort it out asap without taking too much of admin's time to ensure that no negative impression was left behind.

Tell ADMIN team that more than the money part you're upset with the way the guys behaved & abused you. Add that you wanted them to feel the pinch (esp the driver) & request for payment of difference in money after insurance claim. Make this as a three way problem involving the AOL admin in addition to you and the cabbie agency

Last edited by Surprise : 16th January 2007 at 17:57.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 18:54   #15
BHPian

Hi Wheeliej,

Sorry to hear your story. For the sake of peace of mind, get involve the AOL Admin and give compliant on their website and close this issue. However, don't take them on road.

My hard learnt lesson, in case of accident allow the other guy to move without much discussion, unless he is like one of us and if you want to take action, just note down the registration number and give a police complaint. Never ever mess with any one this guys on streat, just because we have lot of other things to do, where as these guys are just waiting for something to happen and show Goondaasism.

regards,
-manju
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote