Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 17th February 2007, 19:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

@Ram : But is the engine the C245? Because Cummins India Limited builds the C250 here in India.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 08:14   #17
BHPian

Nice report Ram. So King Long, Volvo and other luxury bus makers are finding their entry to indian market. It's time for the indian bus makers also to look at and face the competition.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 18:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

just one thing, though not of much relevance, is that although the body is from JCBL which does the bodies on B7R and the Globus why does this one have to use Tata Sumo Victa tail lights?
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 19:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably because they mount on a flat surface suitable for buses. Most other car and SUV lights are contoured and therefore makes it difficult to mount on buses.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 21:00   #20
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
just one thing, though not of much relevance, is that although the body is from JCBL which does the bodies on B7R and the Globus why does this one have to use Tata Sumo Victa tail lights?
I'll bet the auto-ancillary vendor just designed his tail lights for generic application.
The Sumo Victa design and the JCBL coach design might just be using the same generic building block.

Rather than re-invent the wheel and throw design dollars to the wind, it makes prudent engineering sense to systems-integrate good usable building block (automotive components or subsystems), especially moreso, when the market is price sensitive.

A tail-light requirements spec. will specify
that it be large enough and bright enough to emit
illumination = x lumens,
in color = y Angstrom Units,
in weather of z metres of fog/rain.

If the generic tail light unit conforms to the specs, then why not avoid
the wasteful extravagance of being different just for the sake of being different.

Recall that the engine is a generic Cummins turbodiesel engine and the gearbox is a generic ZF gearbox.
It would win an award for cost-effective design!

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 21:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Its funny because the original Type1 Sumo used tailights from the Tata407. I guess its payback time.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 19:26   #22
BHPian

as i said before, i also sptted this kinda bus in June 2006. here are the photos. this is not Tata/Kinglong or Ashok L. forgot the name of the bus. and also sorry for the poor quality images. the bus clicked by Sajo is bit same as this bus.

tushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 20:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Probably because they mount on a flat surface suitable for buses. Most other car and SUV lights are contoured and therefore makes it difficult to mount on buses.
Trivia: The Victa tail lamp itself does not have a flat inner / lower edge - the inner/body-side surface has a stepping. You can make out the point at which this stepping is by following the belt line of the Victa - it passes at a level just above the indicator bulb.

Ram, a neat job with the super-imposition!

Last edited by condor : 20th February 2007 at 20:21.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 20:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
as i said before, i also sptted this kinda bus in June 2006. here are the photos. this is not Tata/Kinglong or Ashok L. forgot the name of the bus. and also sorry for the poor quality images. the bus clicked by Sajo is bit same as this bus.

From what I can see, it is a bus from Sutlej. If you observe the tail section of the bus, there is a decal to the right of the triangular reflector which seems like a Sutlej logo but it is quite unclear. If it is indeed a Sutlej, the chassis can be of Tata. By the way, the bus in pic which Sajo posted, had a shorter wheelbase.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 21:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

My point about the Victa Tail-lamp on a JCBL bus was that JCBL does Volvo and other busses as well, in those cases they do not have to use the Victa stuff. However, I think, they decided to use the Victa unit to differentiate this King-long installation from the others without investing in a fresh tail-lamp unit. For that, they could also do A Ferrari type tail lamp!
Old 20th February 2007, 21:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
My point about the Victa Tail-lamp on a JCBL bus was that JCBL does Volvo and other busses as well, in those cases they do not have to use the Victa stuff.
1100d are you sure that JCBL does Volvo? I only knew Azad in Bangalore had coach building works contract for Volvo.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 21:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
1100d are you sure that JCBL does Volvo? I only knew Azad in Bangalore had coach building works contract for Volvo.
I am not sure but I have seen a Volvo with a JCBL logo in Guwahati. Have to check the Kolkata Volvo's as well. However, it could also be that all integral coaches have earned the VOLVO name in the north-east region hence it was named as a VOLVO (as I did not check the VOLVO logo).
Old 20th February 2007, 22:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

since the Volvo B7R's is launched in India many bus body makers are trying to make the replicas.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 19:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Hi friends:

Travelled in a King Long KL-6113 last night (20:40..23:00) from Pune to Mumbai.
The bus was operated by the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corp. under the brand "Mahabus". Mahabus is painted white with a smartly understated red and blue body-graphic.

[Interior pics taken around 21:15 on my Nokia N73 phone]

Hi Ram,

That is a picture taken by me! You could have atleast mentioned the source of the image. THis is not fair!

Anyways, this bus is no more operated under the brand "Mahabus", but is operated as "Shivneri" these days!

The actual Mahabus - the ones with a Leyland Chassis is quite inconvenient! Seats 1 & 2 have a very poor leg space, while Seats 3 & 4 do not have an AC vent!

The leg space is poor in general, and cooling is pretty poor. The ride is okay, and the bus was shaking badly while riding on the express way. The brakes make a horrible noise, especially if you are in a rear seat. But jerk due to braking is really reduced.

The bus, reportedly, has a 167hp engine and mounted in the front. The AC works on the main engine itself. The performance was not affected much at gradients. The bus did good 100s in the expressway, and the driver did some stunts overtaking a Sumo. The sumo driver surely was scared out of his wits!

Overall an average journey on a Mahabus (leyland).
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 21:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
That is a picture taken by me! You could have atleast mentioned the source of the image. THis is not fair!
Ram, can have some clarity here?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote