Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 19th February 2007, 22:36   #16
BHPian

@ hanmust
the reactor weighs 800 mt
with the saddles it weighs 900mt
add the weight of the axles and it should just about cross 1000mt
it was built by mitsubishi heavy industries

and the tractor units that you mentioned are not meant for theese types of jobs ....

but i must say i am very impressed by your knowledge .... are you in this line of work ??
Mad Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 23:06   #17
BHPian

@ hanmust
realized a bit too late that i should have put in a bit more info ..........tried to edit the earlier post but was a bit tooo late .....

Its a MEG Reactor built by mitsubishi heavy industries for relaince hazira

the MAN 41.660 is a 8x4 tractor unit . 41 tons total capacity , 660 hp .no tourque converter

shown in the picture is a 44.502 .6x6 tailor made prime mover. 44 tons total capacity ,502 hp ,torque converter, big external oil cooler .
Old 19th February 2007, 23:43   #18
Team-BHP Support

that was some good reading, thanks hanmust, monkey and maxbhp. now i know why you need those compressors monkey

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 00:11   #19
BHPian

I see these FLAT BEDS at ISRO most of the time - carrying huge generators weighing atleast 1000 tons but damn MONKEY what the hell is that
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 04:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is that MAN truck carrying 2 big pieces of rock?? Like it dosent have enough weight to pull

Last edited by Mpower : 20th February 2007 at 04:37.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 08:10   #21
Team-BHP Support

I think those are like ballasts/counterweights. If those weren't there the wheels would just spin while pulling. this way the drive wheels are pushed down to the road to aid traction.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 12:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
@ hanmust
realized a bit too late that i should have put in a bit more info ..........tried to edit the earlier post but was a bit tooo late .....

Its a MEG Reactor built by mitsubishi heavy industries for relaince hazira

the MAN 41.660 is a 8x4 tractor unit . 41 tons total capacity , 660 hp .no tourque converter

shown in the picture is a 44.502 .6x6 tailor made prime mover. 44 tons total capacity ,502 hp ,torque converter, big external oil cooler .
Its odd to call U so, even then Mr. MAD..good inform for me..I'm not into any such business, but I'm a builder..After my MBA I join our family concern..but my field of interest was always automobiles & am very much fond of super-heavy trucks, hence try to learn anything about it..I'm also a free-lance auto journalist & auto-designer..

Anyway thanx for the infromation regarding the reactor..U might be right..but let me speak out about about something I'm aware of..The MAN 44.550 shown here is a mid-90s model truck..as its 6x6 it has a GVW of 44 ton in rigid form & GCW of 250 ton when connected to multi-axle trailer..this towing could be made in a speed of 60km/h..so if U wana carry heavier load, just have to reduce the speed..its the noraml procedure..

For makin Airbus A380, various parts are transported to the main assembly via, air, water & land..and in land some Merc Actros 4160SLT truck where used..it also has a same capacity of 250 tons, but could carry it in 80km/h..and when U see any video of making the A380 U can see how fast these trucks are carrying heavy loads..

Depending on the driving terrain there are various configurations..and for such trucks its 8x8 prime movers are the most powerful ones & they are mainly used in oil-fileds & military purposes..Actros 4860 is such a 8x8 model which has a GVW of 48 tons..others too have such models, but Merc, MAN & Scania seems to be in top of the range..
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 12:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why is that MAN truck carrying 2 big pieces of rock?? Like it dosent have enough weight to pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think those are like ballasts/counterweights. If those weren't there the wheels would just spin while pulling. this way the drive wheels are pushed down to the road to aid traction.
VID is right..if there is no equalent weight on the prime mover, the drive wheel will spin off without grip..I've spotted such an incident from Calicut..as I mentioned on earlier post, the diesel generator was carried from Beypore port, but for the transportation convinience, the ship anchored near sandy area, an artificial raod was made to the low bed ship & the truck went inside the ship..when it reached the sandy area it lost grip & started to spin of the tyre, then the forman instructed to connect the trailer on front of prime mover & towed it in reverse, so that both the back axle's power could be used..It was a 6x6 truck..If it were an 8x8, it could have gained more power on front
Old 20th February 2007, 12:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

These remind me of another beast, the Mammoet trucks (am I spelling them right?). Had seen those monsters on TV once.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 13:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
BTW, how is the brake setup on monsters like these? And they wont even know if one of their tyres is punctured :P.
Volvos in the middle east have tyre pressure gauges. Not sure whether they have in the Indian FH and FM series in India. Anyways they needn't be worried about one punctured tyre when they have so many.

I had an exclusive chance to have a sneak preview of one of the first multiaxle Volvo FH12s in South India. Belonged to a group called Karithadatil from Piravom about 30kms from Cochin. They are distributors for Dalmia Cement. The truck is a beauty with good interiors. The group has a collection of FH12 and FM7 now.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 14:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
BTW, how is the brake setup on monsters like these? And they wont even know if one of their tyres is punctured :P.
These multi-axle trailor have its own control unit for braking & steering..they are fully hydraulic units..each pair of wheels streerable in 360degree...during the turnigs, the trailors also steer for easy turning..

Each set of 4 tyres will have a hydralic height adjustable shocks..in some cases it'll be one each on a pair..so on one axle it'll be 4 such shocks..accoring to the road condition they adjust the ride height of the trailors..
Old 20th February 2007, 14:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
These multi-axle trailor have its own control unit for braking & steering..they are fully hydraulic units..each pair of wheels streerable in 360degree...during the turnigs, the trailors also steer for easy turning..

Each set of 4 tyres will have a hydralic height adjustable shocks..in some cases it'll be one each on a pair..so on one axle it'll be 4 such shocks..accoring to the road condition they adjust the ride height of the trailors..
the braking is pneumatic . the prime mover provides the air connection.
air pressure is required to release the brakes so in case of air pressure loss or no prime mover being present the brakes stay applied .

the steering is mechanical-hydraulic and is only +/- 45 degrees . not 360 degrees . the steering arms are connected to the towbar which in turn connects to the prime mover .

there is only one hydraulic ram/ cylinder per arm . it is for height control .
Old 20th February 2007, 15:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Anyway thanx for the infromation regarding the reactor..U might be right..but let me speak out about about something I'm aware of..The MAN 44.550 shown here is a mid-90s model truck..as its 6x6 it has a GVW of 44 ton in rigid form & GCW of 250 ton when connected to multi-axle trailer..this towing could be made in a speed of 60km/h..so if U wana carry heavier load, just have to reduce the speed..its the noraml procedure..

For makin Airbus A380, various parts are transported to the main assembly via, air, water & land..and in land some Merc Actros 4160SLT truck where used..it also has a same capacity of 250 tons, but could carry it in 80km/h..and when U see any video of making the A380 U can see how fast these trucks are carrying heavy loads..

Depending on the driving terrain there are various configurations..and for such trucks its 8x8 prime movers are the most powerful ones & they are mainly used in oil-fileds & military purposes..Actros 4860 is such a 8x8 model which has a GVW of 48 tons..others too have such models, but Merc, MAN & Scania seems to be in top of the range..
its a 44.502 and not 44.550 . your knowledge is good but it is still incomplete .

like i said the 44.502 you see in the picture has a TORQUE CONVERTER !
it is a speacial order truck from MAN . hte specs you looking up from the internet is not of this one but of a standard one .
this kind of prime mover is in the region of 300000 euros plus .

speed is irrelevant . this truck with full counterweight can go upto 120 kmh. no trailer ofcourse . with a trailer it would never be allowedto go over 20 kmph because of indian roads .

if you really are interested in really powerful primovers pls look up nicolas tractomas . they are made to order in france by nicolas . available as 10x10 ,1000 hp . one might be comin to india soon ;-)

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 20th February 2007 at 15:06.
Old 20th February 2007, 15:46   #29
BHPian

Ultimate machines .....
the ultimate transport machine !!!
Self Proppeled Modular Trailers .
do not require a prime mover
capacity of 40mt per axle

Old 21st February 2007, 00:14   #30
BHPian

guys what kind of horsepower do these truck engines have. that seems like a lot of weight and damn lot of tyres i heard bout the best truck to give like 610 hp exact MAN truck i guess - but with that load

damnnnnnn
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote