Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 18th October 2009, 07:36   #1666
Distinguished - BHPian

The bumpers are different, and the design of that truck bumper is definitely better. Add to that the way the two pics have been taken - and the color of the two vehicles, it only reiterates the looks of that truck's bumper.
Old 18th October 2009, 08:09   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
@RAJ
I think you paid the right price. As an industry thumb rule, tourist bus bodies cost as much as a chassis. Its pretty close, so its a decent deal you have.

SMK is a very good body builder. Lots of private travels trust their bodies. They are good for luggage carrying capacity and overall the best you could go for.

Since you have bought the bus, will desist from commenting about the competition for body building.
thanks buddy. good to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Transsenger, Do you see any similarities in front between the 2 or it is just me, The bumper looks much better on the truck though!! Imitation or Inspiration?
he has mentioned in his post that his bus was inspired from the 'newgen' series of trucks from AL.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:02   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
thanks buddy. good to know that.

he has mentioned in his post that his bus was inspired from the 'newgen' series of trucks from AL.
My mistake Raj. Sorry Transsenger. I did not realize by newgen, what Transsenger meant was AL trucks.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:13   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if the model was ready, i doubt VECV would have been able to scale up production quickly enough to meet the JNNURM timelines. Even AL/TM finding it real hard to meet the dead lines.
It pays to read the entire post before commenting. I had made it clear that they could have pocketed a large share of the order - NOT DELIVER A LARGE SHARE. There is a wide difference between the two statements. Currently, Leyland has bagged a large share.

Quote:
By the way, Do you know any STC s currently using any kind of Eicher buses other than mini buses? I have seen quite a few Eicher School buses in Kerala. I think Binaik posted the picture of a KerRTC Eicher bus somewhere, but i have not seen it in person
BMTC uses about 400 full-size buses for city runs. KeSRTC has tendered for scrapping all their Eicher Mini-Buses (in Running condition).
Old 18th October 2009, 12:23   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
It pays to read the entire post before commenting. I had made it clear that they could have pocketed a large share of the order - NOT DELIVER A LARGE SHARE. There is a wide difference between the two statements. Currently, Leyland has bagged a large share.
Friend, I did read the entire statement, "Had they developed this product a year earlier, a huge share of the JNNURM deal would've been in their product".
Quote:
KeSRTC has tendered for scrapping all their Eicher Mini-Buses (in Running condition)
I totally agree, that is a wise decision. Those Eicher mini buses in its current form were not suitable for public transport.
But i do agree with you, Eicher could be a major competitor to AL/TM in the future.
Old 18th October 2009, 14:32   #1671
BHPian

But guys we know nothing about the Eicher buses apart from these two pictures.

It might be a prototype which is getting tested. It might not be even the final validated model. Does anybody know anything else about these buses (other than speculations)?
Old 18th October 2009, 15:01   #1672
BHPian

Default Driver ergonomics

Often i have come across many drivers saying, AL is comfortable to drive on long routes. Not sure whether this is valid now because Tata has improved a lot when compared with their 1210series. Eicher offers tilltable steering as a standard fitment on its 20.15 bus chassis. So i decided to take a close look! Here are the pics of the 3 makes. (Please note in all cases the driver seat is adjusted to the max. height position).
The position of pedals, angle of steering column etc can be considered.

I invite all to share your observation in this regard.
Attached Images

Last edited by Transsenger : 18th October 2009 at 15:02.
Old 18th October 2009, 18:05   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Often i have come across many drivers saying, AL is comfortable to drive on long routes. Not sure whether this is valid now because Tata has improved a lot when compared with their 1210series. Eicher offers tilltable steering as a standard fitment on its 20.15 bus chassis. So i decided to take a close look! Here are the pics of the 3 makes. (Please note in all cases the driver seat is adjusted to the max. height position).
The position of pedals, angle of steering column etc can be considered.

I invite all to share your observation in this regard.
It is hard to say about the Eicher, since the pic doesnt show the side profile of the driver as the other 2 pics show.

On first glance, AL driving position certainly looks a lot more comfy than Tata to me with the steering wheel resting just above the thigh, and the driver also leaning against the backrest unlike the Tata where he is unecessarily sitting upright (different driver I notice). But I feel that may be artificial bcoz the seat is raised highest position (in both). Indeed, in the AL pic, I doubt if the driver's leg will ever reach the accelerator pedal. It looks like it will just dangle freely in air.

It seems to me both Tata and AL need to improve on the driver ergonomics. These are areas where Volvo would easily win over these two I'm sure. Hopefully Tata is learning a bit regarding this from Marcopolo.
Old 18th October 2009, 18:31   #1674
Senior - BHPian

Awesome idea comparing riding positions.

Here's my take
LEYLAND: This one has the most conventional layout. The brake pedal and clutch pedal are similar and the accelerator is like a shoe sole. Its going to be awesome seeing a blue rubber LEYLAND sign while looking at the steering from top
EICHER: The tilt steering irons out most of the disadvantages. Like the felt covered dash board. Couldn't locate the hand brake though.
TATA: The steering is very high, its like typing on a keyboard, your forearms are bound to pain on long distances
Old 18th October 2009, 18:33   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Today spotted these 12 wheeler Tata Truck Chassis.Note the Headlamps on the bumper and regular Headlight place...
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-tata.jpg  

Old 18th October 2009, 20:56   #1676
BANNED

yes.. even i saw one such fully made truck this is called 3118 if i am not wrong. That headlight difference makes it looks funny as if the truck is blind
Old 18th October 2009, 21:21   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
yes.. even i saw one such fully made truck this is called 3118 if i am not wrong. That headlight difference makes it looks funny as if the truck is blind
Perhaps the following is the case:
I suspect there must be new govt regulations that require that the headlights be below a certain max height, in order to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. But the dies of the front cowl stamping machines cannot be re-engineered overnight. Hence Tata probably continues with the same cowl, and just welds a cover later to cover the hole for the erstwhile headlight location. In the long run they may eventually change the cowl dies.
Just a theory.

The govt regulation angle explains the horizontal rod placed underneath the cowl, which I saw on an AL truck also, in this same forum I think. Not sure of the rationale of that rod though.
Old 18th October 2009, 21:43   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Diwali does not bode well for Tata Motors.

The Hindu Business Line : Tata Daewoo ordered to recall trucks in S Korea
Old 18th October 2009, 22:15   #1679
BHPian

Recalls are very common in the developed world which have very strong consumer protection and manufacturers have a lot to lose (market share, lawsuits) if they dont voluntarily recall.

Even established players like Honda and Toyota recall vehicles quite routinely. Eg.:

American Honda Expands Airbag Safety Recall - Honda - Press Releases - Selected Story

Toyota Corolla and Scion Recall: Brake Issues
Old 18th October 2009, 23:42   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Default India follows Europe

It seems in Europe they are moving towards uniform bumper height for all vehicles. They are getting busses and trucks, SUVs even to have the same height as cars.

Guess a similar thing is happening in India. Afterall, we're not new in following Europe; remember Euro I and Euro II standards being renamed Bharat I and Bharat II?

Check out this bus, its the NEOPLAN STARLINER. Its the height of the VOLVO B7R, but the driver sits so low and the bumper and lights are also low
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-starliner5.jpg  

Closed Thread