Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 5th November 2009, 20:31   #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have no clue. Goa didn't get any grant under JNNURM so we wont see any buses with that plastered on the sides running around there.

Goa does have a couple of Bus Body Builders - ACGL and Prakash/Damodar (either one of them, not sure).
its damodar. there also lot of small bus body builders in goa
Old 6th November 2009, 01:25   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Goa does have a couple of Bus Body Builders - ACGL and Prakash/Damodar (either one of them, not sure).
Prakash (S M Kannappa) is from Bangalore right ?? Or is there any other Prakash in Goa ?
Old 6th November 2009, 07:25   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Tata Motors has begun distribution of its Prima range of trucks starting today 4th November 2009
Does anyone have any pictures of the Tata world trucks on the roads? ("Prima" sounds very feminine and doesnt go well for a truck; wonder what made the TM marketing guys choose such a name)
Old 6th November 2009, 10:50   #1759
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
I have no clue. Goa didn't get any grant under JNNURM so we wont see any buses with that plastered on the sides running around there.

no buddy those buses were running with passengers they were eicher buses 30 seater kind of white and blie with yellow jnnurm signs on the right handside towards the back
i was driving from panjim to kondapur and after panjim towards madgaon road i spotted many of them with goa registration travelling with passengers....
Old 6th November 2009, 11:27   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjugun View Post
its damodar. there also lot of small bus body builders in goa
Hey thanks. Yes Damodar it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Prakash (S M Kannappa) is from Bangalore right ?? Or is there any other Prakash in Goa ?
You are correct. Its Prakash from Bangalore. They did build bus bodies for Kadamba Transport Corporation though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
no buddy those buses were running with passengers they were eicher buses 30 seater kind of white and blie
Oh these are the mini buses plying on the Panjim - Margao, Panjim - Vasco and Panjiim - Ponda routes. These are direct non stop buses to and fro from these cities.

I wasn't aware Goa has acquired more under these scheme.

Now I have a question. Goa does not have a separate Transport department for each city. Like say, Pune or Mumbai has.

These buses are not intracity but intercity transport. And my understanding of JNNURM is the grant is for intracity development.

But yes considering the size of our major cities in Goa, all together wouldnt add up to a Bangalore or a Pune.

The minibuses were bought in bulk from TATA before and surprising they have moved to Eicher as the ACGL factory is a Goa state and TATA undertaking.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:47   #1761
Senior - BHPian

What happened to LF/SLF busses in Trivandrum? Any updates on routes and timings?

I would be in TVM twice a week for a couple of months from now (office work), and would like to travel on one of these, just for the heck of it.
Old 7th November 2009, 17:42   #1762
BHPian

That Tata Prima looks amazing .Looks like they have started to catch up with the Volvos and others . Is it devoloped by Daewoo Trucks which is under Tata now ?
Old 7th November 2009, 21:05   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What happened to LF/SLF busses in Trivandrum? Any updates on routes and timings?

I would be in TVM twice a week for a couple of months from now (office work), and would like to travel on one of these, just for the heck of it.
Timings are not out yet,but read on newspaper routes will be kovalam-kazhakootam , kowdiar - Kovalam and shastamangalam - eastfort

Buses were supposed to be launched on November 11th but got postponed to 17th for participation of Sashi tharoor(sitting MP from tvm) in the launch.

even i'm eagerly waiting for a ride here even though have been on volvos in bangalore
Old 10th November 2009, 11:44   #1764
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Best King Long Woes

In the TOI today there was an article on why did the BEST opt for king longs and now the travellers have started asking question....people say its an under powered bus and on top frequent break downs ...in a bizzare incident on teh dahisar - south mumbai route passengers were asked to get down and push the bus at bandra....surprisingly Uttam Khorbode gav a funny reply saying show me a volvo with CNG and he would buy it wht a smart explaination arent TATAs and ALs buildng quality buses for DTC on CNG still cant understand why he is so much in love with KIng LOng
Old 10th November 2009, 13:08   #1765
BANNED

well.. multiple reasons. but yes one point is there that Volvo doesnt make CNG
but the Macropolo's werent bad, i think they are having CNG Powered ones in their lineup. Strange why BEST didnt go for that. DTC is using them already I think.
Old 10th November 2009, 15:47   #1766
Senior - BHPian

But why to look into Volvo's Why not our own ALL and TML?
I am sure ULE's and Marcopolo's are never less compared to Volvo and they very good VFM.

I am sure BEST should consider them next time when they go for purchase and not just stick to brand name of Volvo.

I never accept the fact that Volvo command premium pricing and they are products which are not completely customised to our country.
Old 11th November 2009, 10:38   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
But why to look into Volvo's Why not our own ALL and TML?
I am sure ULE's and Marcopolo's are never less compared to Volvo and they very good VFM.
I never accept the fact that Volvo command premium pricing and they are products which are not completely customised to our country.
Have to agree with you on this, Ashley2. Some thoughts below about the Volvo B7RLE, after being a daily commuter on the BMTC Vajra:
1) Rear view overhang mirrors are very expensive. The driver's side mirror in the bus i travel by regularly, suffered a graze/hit from another bus, a few months back, and still drives around with a cracked mirror. Conductor says the cost of a replacement shell is about Rs.8.5K/- for a simpler one, and about Rs.13K/- for the exact replica!
2) Fuel tank flap and first aid box need key to open. How practical is this, especially the FA box, with the engine running? A passenger once had a cut in his finger, and asked for a dab of cotton. The conductor couldn't open this box :(. The fuel flaps are broken/swing loosely in almost every bus nowadays.
3) The bolts holding the rods/rails on the roof tend to shear off over use, especially the one at the front portion. Volvo should've used the simpler rod holder(?), where the rod passes through the circular ring, instead of having a design where yet another tube with one end bolted to the roof, and the other holding the main rod. These buses ferry huge crowds during peak hours, and cannot sustain/withstand the load applied on them, where every passenger has to grasp on to the rod.
4) Water drips from the AC louver, especially at the middle section of the bus.
5) Dust gets in to the inside lighting, very often seen in the one present over the central/middle door. Result: poor lighting.
6) Fused tail lights. Agree that it's the bulb failing here, but for the price commanded by the bus, maybe even an LED brake light would have helped, as it's a safety issue (the buses stop at the press of the brakes, and can catch someone trailing behind, unaware)
7) In a few buses, the front windshield has developed a crack traversing horizontally at the bottom left area, ie. closest to the front door. When asked, the driver said it's due to sudden suction/gush of air when the pneumatic door closes. With the B7RLE model being present for quite some time, couldn't Volvo do anything about fixing this?
8) LCD screens of rear view camera are non-functional in a few buses. Why should they conk off in the first place, as the drivers hardly meddle with them?

That said, the ride and comfort level is definitely superior on the Volvo. Hope they last as long as what Volvo proclaims them to be.

By the way, are the two Marcopolo's still plying?
Old 11th November 2009, 11:39   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
2) Fuel tank flap
Just today i saw one VOLVO with the fuel flap fastened with a door latch. Was quite funny. Unfortunately i dont carry a mobile which has a camera.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:50   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, the ride and comfort level is definitely superior on the Volvo. Hope they last as long as what Volvo proclaims them to be.
I think the problem is Volvo introduced an international model, with out any changes in India. The road conditions, driving pattern, usage etc are way different in India and they did not consider these factors. Probably based on customer feedback so far, they could make changes to the design and introduce a revised "india specific" model.
Recently i saw a Volvo coach with "Year 2009 Coach" written in big letters on the front glass. I am sure the pathetic condition of some "pre 2009 year" volvo coaches might have prompted the operator to do this.
Looking forward to the Volvo Eicher Buses, may be that is what we need!

Last edited by teamveevee : 11th November 2009 at 11:51.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:28   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have to agree with you on this, Ashley2. Some thoughts below about the Volvo B7RLE, after being a daily commuter on the BMTC Vajra:
Would like to add more points in this.
1.A/c duct will never be in your convenient position in last four rows except the very last one. You cannot make the blower blow to your face and it can only blow on your head. I mean to say they are positioned directly above your head and not facing your head. Am I right?

2.Second thing is there is such huge vibration felt in the rear rows which will really make you fell uncomfortable each and every time when the gear shifts. That too its horrible in our city traffic since gear change frequencies are so high.( its not just because of Auto TMís used but due to poor NVH packing materials in the bus).

3.There is no vaccum formed panels inside with just Rexin pads and FRPís with screw heads quite visible. I am quite sure an 84 lakhs bus deserves much more.
4.And seat position is really inclined makes you feel quite uncomfortable.
These are only few points I have mentioned. I can really list lot many bits and tits in comparision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I think the problem is Volvo introduced an international model, with out any changes in India. The road conditions, driving pattern, usage etc are way different in India and they did not consider these factors. Probably based on customer feedback so far, they could make changes to the design and introduce a revised "india specific" model.
From my view they never look directly into market and just deploy their international products to India
In this regard I would really appreciate AL for breaking the rules of Bus Industry in India by introducing Semi Low floor buses. They are in the same conventional lay out with Engine at the front but still reduced the Entry height considerably. I am quite sure that the comfort level is quite good for a city bus travel. if required these products can be fitted with A/c.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th November 2009 at 12:38. Reason: Back to back posts, use multi quotes. Removing [Font] tags, avoid copy paste from external font editors. Thanks
Closed Thread