Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2009, 21:37   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
After this, are we still saying that Volvos are the way to go???!

Think of all those who are standing and thumbing rides on highways and cities, there is no bus service or any other form of public transport.

During my recent drive to South, I saw people begging for lifts - in MH, KA, but the super-efficient aam-janta bus transport in TN meant that they were well-connected - and they were paying cheap fares too! KL too has efficient bus transport - thanks to the private buses - and one does not see jeep-taxis and hitchhikers unlike the other States.
Even I have observed the same. In the north, rural areas have large number Mahindra Jeeps and Sumos working as Share Taxis in the name of public transport.

Whereas in TN they have something called as Minibus (Green coloured Swaraj Mazda Mini Bus Sized ones). Ofcourse it's Pvt operated but Govt regulated.

But coming to the point of Volvos in the cities I would strongly welcome them, atleast in Chennai. Reason?

* I can take Volvo between the Airport/Railway Station to home without getting fleeced by Auto drivers! It's a 100 times more comfortable.
* People are ready to take the Volvos to their offices in OMR (IT Highway) instead of having to drive through traffic themselves.
* Heck..the city looks good with the volvos on the road

Don't look at the Volvos only from the point of view of revenue generation. Public transport is a service provided by the Govt and the govt is not necessarily in the business of profit making is it?
Old 21st November 2009, 23:22   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
In the north, rural areas have large number Mahindra Jeeps and Sumos working as Share Taxis in the name of public transport.
* Heck..the city looks good with the volvos on the road
As an outsider, Anytime Mahindra Jeeps and Sumos working as Share Taxis is better than the Diesel powered "Shared Autorickshaws" plying in Chennai city. Even Ace Magic will be better than those Autorishaws. Whatever beauty braught to the city by Volvos will be taken away by these big polluting boxes.
I am not talking about the normal autorikshaws, but the big ones, I dont get it, It is more expensive to travel in these than Volvos and People are willing to pay Rs10 to travel short distance on these. I dont know why they allow these Shared AUutorikshaws in Chennai [Dont mistake me, I am not denying the fact that Volvo is a big success in Chennai, I like the staff Uniform too, The Volvo drivers reminds me of pilots in an air plane]

Last edited by teamveevee : 21st November 2009 at 23:23.
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:22   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
As an outsider, Anytime Mahindra Jeeps and Sumos working as Share Taxis is better than the Diesel powered "Shared Autorickshaws" plying in Chennai city. Even Ace Magic will be better than those Autorishaws. Whatever beauty braught to the city by Volvos will be taken away by these big polluting boxes.
I am not talking about the normal autorikshaws, but the big ones, I dont get it, It is more expensive to travel in these than Volvos and People are willing to pay Rs10 to travel short distance on these. I dont know why they allow these Shared AUutorikshaws in Chennai [Dont mistake me, I am not denying the fact that Volvo is a big success in Chennai, I like the staff Uniform too, The Volvo drivers reminds me of pilots in an air plane]
The mini buses don't run in the city.

The share autos are traffic disasters
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:25   #1819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't look at the Volvos only from the point of view of revenue generation. Public transport is a service provided by the Govt and the govt is not necessarily in the business of profit making is it?
Well said. Fact i have seen in Bangalore is that even people who own private transport are willing to leave their vehicles behind and use public transport, only thanks to the Volvos. Despite their running costs, to me they are a necessity to a growing and urban populace.

Moving on, here is a pic i clicked of an Isuzu bus, which looked well-put. Looks to be a decent alternative for air conditioned ferrying of passengers,

Name:  181120092757.jpg
Views: 10029
Size:  109.4 KB
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:42   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Moving on, here is a pic i clicked of an Isuzu bus, which looked well-put. Looks to be a decent alternative for air conditioned ferrying of passengers,

Attachment 232457
i have seen this bus being tested in ARAI.
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:51   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Default More Kinglongs for BEST

It does not matter the TBHPiens think..BEST will add 200 more KingLongs before March 2010 to the exsting fleet of 143 KingsLongs.
Full Report The Hindu Business Line : 200 more ‘King Longs’ to offer BEST ride
Interesting quotes...
Quote:
The popularity of King Longs can be gauged from the fact that BEST has virtually scrapped all its old AC buses in the last two years and replaced them with 143 King Longs. Only 13 of the older fleet remain and they are being phased out.

Get it?
Quote:
Mr Khobragade said King Long is one of the few manufacturers of CNG engine-fitted air-conditioned buses. CNG use reduces operating costs. King Longs also cost only half of, say, a Volvo or Mercedes vehicle.

Sure, Looks like Khobragade never heard of Tata Marcopolos...Always imitation costs half of the original
Quote:
“Depending on passenger demand, we will add more King Longs. If they want 1,000 King Longs we will give them that,” Mr Khobragade said. Already, there are King Long users clubs in the city.

If you want a KingLong bus in your route, just give a call to Kbobragade, Remember to say KingLong, Please don't just say A/C bus.
Quote:
Mr Khobragade said that sometimes King Long routes get only unidirectional commuter traffic but the service is still not running in the red.

That is great news....We should appreciate BEST for this....
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:43   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Sure, Looks like Khobragade never heard of Tata Marcopolos.
He is very well aware of Marcopolos. Please see the attached photo. For reasons unknown, BEST did not decide to go ahead with marcopolo. The bus in the photo was returned to Tata after around 7-8 months.

The article has an ambiguity, though. Currently, BEST's order of 200 Kinglongs under JNNURM is being delivered. Around 80 of them have been delivered. These buses, in addition to the earlier fleet of 70 makes it 150 buses (the 143 buses that are being referred to in the article). It is not clear whether the article is referring to the JNNURM order of 200 Kinglongs, or an order of 200 Kinglongs in addition to the JNNURM order. I think it is likely to be the former.

The JNNURM Kinglongs have good acceleration, far better than the previous two generations of Kinglongs. But their body quality is nowhere close to Marcopolo.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-3117493323_83c7b17dd9_o.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 09:52   #1823
Senior - BHPian

there has already been past posts about the bad quality on volvo buses. I saw a brand new low floor volvo city bus which was probably being driven to the depot. i noticed the LH brake lamps wren't working. and this is supposed to be brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-gps_053.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 11:55   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
there has already been past posts about the bad quality on volvo buses. I saw a brand new low floor volvo city bus which was probably being driven to the depot. i noticed the LH brake lamps wren't working. and this is supposed to be brand new.
Volvo or not, new or old, invariably majority of the commercial vehicles in India have non-functional or wrongly connected (Reverse lights flashing instead of brake lights!) rear lights! Wonder why?
Old 24th November 2009, 13:21   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Are you very sure that this is a new bus?

Since June this year, Volvo is no more selling buses with the "B7R" badge. The buses are badged as "8400". The rear LED indicator too seem to be of the old style. The new ones (since June this year) are bigger.

This bus is surely old - perhaps the bus that is often given out as trial buses to different corporations. No wonder they have malfunctioning lamps.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:08   #1826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
14000rpm : i noticed the LH brake lamps wren't working. and this is supposed to be brand new.
@14000rpm : Dont read too much into that fused bulb. It's a bulb. Can blow any time.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:18   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Volvo or not, new or old, invariably majority of the commercial vehicles in India have non-functional or wrongly connected (Reverse lights flashing instead of brake lights!) rear lights! Wonder why?
+1! And in this matter, I bet nothing can beat the CNG Kinglongs that are being delivered to BEST. I am yet to see a bus whose rear turn indicators flash yellow. Each and every bus has reversing lights flashing instead of turn indicators. This is a mistake made by the body builder itself.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:00   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
The mini buses don't run in the city.

The share autos are traffic disasters
Yes, these share autos are disasters because of the way they drive in the city.The share autos have only one up is that they reduce crowd in the bus.
Again why they are not booked for rash driving is very simple,our great traffic police getting bribe.

I have seen many traffic police standing like a stone beside the signal just simply watching the people jumping the traffic signal(non peak hours) .
Old 24th November 2009, 20:20   #1829
BHPian

Hi 14000rpm, agreeing with binaiks. That is not a new B7RLE. The black meshed area for air suction(?) in the rear portion of the bus, has also been reverted back to the slit types, in the 8400's.

Also, the brake lamps are at the ones at the top of the row of lamps. The one that's glowing in the picture, works in tandem with the parking lamps/headlamps.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:10   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
+1! And in this matter, I bet nothing can beat the CNG Kinglongs that are being delivered to BEST. I am yet to see a bus whose rear turn indicators flash yellow. Each and every bus has reversing lights flashing instead of turn indicators. This is a mistake made by the body builder itself.
I think the credit should go to BEST. They maintain their buses properly. Even the AL buses in BEST fleet got all the lights working all/most of the time. Couple of routes, the Driver and Conductor changes in the middle of the trip (is it in Deonar?), i have seen the new driver checks the lights before driving off. A bulb can blow out any time and could happen to any make at any time. But replacing it in time is up to the corp/owner and depends on how well they maintain the bus.
Closed Thread