Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2009, 01:09   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I am actually glad that KeSRTC went back to the vintage painting scheme, although the buses are "modern" in design. (By "Modern", its just that the design is inspired from the Volvo design).
the design is too old as well as the paint scheme. comparing with the newer AL viking/ule, this is prehistoric.
Old 5th December 2009, 02:00   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Spotted these brand new AshLey Low Floor Vikings being brought to Coimbatore.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00989.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00990.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00991.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-dsc00992.jpg  

Old 5th December 2009, 12:52   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
the design is too old as well as the paint scheme. comparing with the newer AL viking/ule, this is prehistoric.
That design suits us malayalees. every region has its own style.

Source Ksrtc blog
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-ksrtc-fp3.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-image0493.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by prmd_cochin : 5th December 2009 at 12:54.
Old 5th December 2009, 15:20   #1894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
That design suits us malayalees. every region has its own style.

Source Ksrtc blog
yes, you have said it right.
here in WB, we have an entirely new breed of design from AL. so this looks different.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:47   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I had been to EXCON last Sunday. It showcased some of the trucks used in earth moving and construction industry.. i came Man, Scania, Tata, AMW and Volvo.

But Ashok Leyland, Tatra, Ural, Mercedes were just missing even though they are in this segment...

One truck that really impressed me is the Tata 3138.K it was just fabulous... a true world class truck.
Has any one seen the Scania truck on road. It was launched 2 years back in India.
Old 5th December 2009, 22:33   #1896
Senior - BHPian

While we blast te public transportation system for inefficiency, the RTCs fro their losses, and private bus operators for their greed, how many of us are aware that the private commercial (heavy to medium) passenger vehicles pay taxes in four figures per quarter? A private bus operator in Kerala pays between 23 to 35K every three months as taxes. Even the RTC has to pay the tax. IMHO, cut the taxes to somethign like 1/3, reduce fares, and double the number of buses, and every one will be winnters.

RTCs / owners will be happy for the lower taxes. Passengers because of lower fares, and the govt, because the number of buses (and therefore, the total amount of taxes) will rise. I can say with some degree of authority that the number of buses on roads has not kept pace with the increasing population, and the changing life style, which demands more travel.

On a different note, I saw what looks like to competition to Tata's ACE from the Firodia group. Forgot the name - it starts with "t". Looked huge from front - it was dark and I was walking; I actually thought I was looking a modded Tempo traveller. Anybody else spotted this?
Old 5th December 2009, 23:06   #1897
Senior - BHPian

From the pictures posted here, it looks like, till now, AL delivered more vehicles than TM under JNNURM scheme to various SRTCs (Bengal, Chennai, Comibatore, BMTC, BEST, Mysore, Coimbatore etc). Is it because the AL bus bodies (except DTC) are outsourced? Or some production issues with TM? Is it because of the huge DTC order, TM neglected the SLF segment and did not have a competing proven product to AL Viking in the SLF segment. TM had the early mover advantage in ULF, SLF, but looks like AL is catching up or overtaking.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:29   #1898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Unloading the Winner , near edappally signal
Another Chinese vehicle? It looks like lot more Chinese vehicles are coming to the Indian CV market in the next 2 years. HM, GM, PAL, AL everybody trying to bring cheap chinese vehicles to compete against the indigenous ones. What will happen to our engineering and design talents? What will happen to our manufacturing industry?. I think our government need to do something now, before it is too late, before the Chinese invade the CV market.
MOTORINDIA ONLINE EDITION: HM unveils Winner mini-truck
Old 5th December 2009, 23:55   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Another Chinese vehicle? It looks like lot more Chinese vehicles are coming to the Indian CV market in the next 2 years. HM, GM, PAL, AL everybody trying to bring cheap chinese vehicles to compete against the indigenous ones. What will happen to our engineering and design talents? What will happen to our manufacturing industry?. I think our government need to do something now, before it is too late, before the Chinese invade the CV market.
MOTORINDIA ONLINE EDITION: HM unveils Winner mini-truck

I think Chinese Manufacturers are aggressively coming into Indian market in every sector. When i had been to EXCON 2009 a Earth moving and Construction machinery exhibition held last month , I actually got surprised with the number of exhibitors who had landed from China with all their Machinery.

Two years back when EXCON happened I remember I had seen hardly 3 to 4 exhibitors from China who had come with some road construction equipments. But this time almost 30 to 50 exhibitors had come from China with all types of off road vehicles like cranes, construction equipment, mining equipments, etc.

I also met a Chinese Exhibitor who actually didn't knew English. I asked him do you have a dealership in India. He gave me a product catalog with $35,000!!! and a visiting card with china address.

I just got amazed... Wow here's a person who doesnt know the language and still he is trying to sell it. Thats the level of confidence with which chinese come in.
Old 6th December 2009, 01:22   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
I also met a Chinese Exhibitor who actually didn't knew English. I asked him do you have a dealership in India. He gave me a product catalog with $35,000!!! and a visiting card with china address.

I just got amazed... Wow here's a person who doesnt know the language and still he is trying to sell it. Thats the level of confidence with which chinese come in.
You mean that he just directly offered you 35000 bucks with out any documentation.

Now where do I find this guy, I need some money badly.
Old 6th December 2009, 01:30   #1901
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Spotted these brand new AshLey Low Floor Vikings being brought to Coimbatore.
nice pics
this length of chasis looks wayy longer than what BEST is getting as part of their JNNRUM quota for their NON-AC cng buses.
I really dont get the point why is the front door being put behind the front wheels. this chasis has a long enough front overhang for a front door in front of the wheels. i think this layout is just wasting some space.
Old 6th December 2009, 01:46   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
nice pics
I really dont get the point why is the front door being put behind the front wheels. this chasis has a long enough front overhang for a front door in front of the wheels. i think this layout is just wasting some space.
IMO it may be because that the front overhang region is actually sloping upwards.This type of design wont allow a low floor entry point and also there is not enough space upfront to accommodate a 2-way sliding door mechanism.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:03   #1903
BHPian

In fact if u look at the pics of the buses seen in Coimbatore, those one too features the pneumatic doors behind the front wheels( body by Irizar i suppose). Does it really make a difference if the doors are placed in front or behind the wheels? i suppose the entry and exit can be made more smoother if the doors are in the front as the flow of passengers will only be from one direction.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:09   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
You mean that he just directly offered you 35000 bucks with out any documentation.

Now where do I find this guy, I need some money badly.

Yes many Chinese who had come to the expo actually didn't knew English. Some interacted through their Indian partners and others with a smile.

He was one of the exhibitors from one of the companies engaged in manufacturing of wheel loaders. There were more than 450 companies from India as well as from across the globe at EXCON 2009.

I would not like to quote the company name or his name. But his designation was General manager. He actually wrote $35,000 on the product catalog, when i asked do you have a dealership in India.

I appreciated his confidence and his politeness. That's how they captured the world market.

I think coming this Jan even at Delhi Auto Expo you may get this experience if many Chinese companies come down to showcase their products.

Last edited by kadri007 : 6th December 2009 at 10:11.
Old 6th December 2009, 11:59   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He actually wrote $35,000 on the product catalog, when i asked do you have a dealership in India.

I am feeling

That is asking price for the vehicle or for a dealership?

But come to think of it, they have nothing to lose - almost nil R&D costs, zilch brand value, nyet ad investment and a big zero in regularoty expenses. With total cost being a bit more than the metal going into the product, every vehicle, they can afford the risks.

Edit:-

Having doors in front of buses in city service vehicles is a big safety risk. There is always a chance that a passenger trips and falls and the driver may not notice. With the tyre immediately behind a door, risks of wheelis running over a fallen passenger is very high. With doors immediately behind the front door or in the middle of the vehicle, (1), the conductor gets to see what is happening, (2) there is more distance between the fallen passenger and the next (rear) wheel (3) with the vehicle steering to its right , it is more likely that the wheels will miss the passenger.

On long distance / tourist vehicles, it does not make much a difference, since time spent waiting for passengers to get in and out is very negligible, when compared to city service buses.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 6th December 2009 at 12:04.
Closed Thread